Potential Market for ALL animals

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Potential Market for ALL animal articles

Hi Everyone,

A friend just gave me a copy of Dog Nose News, a free, Portland, Oregon-based paper for animal lovers. Check it out at www.dognosenews.com

It's mostly about dogs, but there's a section called Cats and another one called "Dog-Free Zone" that is open to articles about birds, lizards, and probably anything else. This is a low-paying market, but seems friendly and open to working with newbie and experienced writers alike.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Anne - I love your parrot avatar! What's his/her name?

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Oh, that's my little buddy Rio! He's been with me for 18 years and turns 19 soon. He's a Blue-crowned conure and I just love him sooooo much. :)

Thanks for asking!

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I just landed an assignment with Dog Nose News!

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Rose,

What kind of assignment did you land?

Reece

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
It's my dream writing assignment - an article about scrapbooking photos of your pets! I pitched a 700-word story, and will discuss angle, length, etc. with the editor in a few days.

I am an avid scrapbooker and obsessed with my hound dog. I'm just thrilled with this assigment. If you happen to have a copy of Simple Scrapbooks (Sep/Oct 2004) laying around, you can see a page layout I did called "Howard Ate My Sock!"
I've been trying to crack the scrapbooking magazine market for awhile, but with absolutely no luck.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
That sounds like fun, Rose! Congrats. :)

"Howard Ate My Sock" What a fabulous title for that previous article!!

Last edited:

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Just so I don't accumulate any bad karma, I should clarify that "Howard Ate My Sock" is a scrapbook page layout, not an article. Great story, though! I came home from a run, and playfully twirled my sweaty sock in the air in front of Howard's face. He lunged at it, gulped, and it was gone.

I got the sock back a few days later - but I'll spare you the gory details of THAT incident.

Last edited:

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
It's mostly about dogs, but there's a section called Cats and another one called "Dog-Free Zone" that is open to articles about birds, lizards, and probably anything else.

Hey, thanks for the tip, Rose! I'm just now getting around to pitching to them, and landed a couple of assignments for the Dog-Free Zone. It looks like I might be writing more for them, too! I love to do the fun little pieces like these. :)

Last edited:

thistle

Hipster Doofus
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, Anne and Rose! I'm going to check them out, too. :) Thanks for the tip!

BTW, Howard looks like a cool dog. And Anne, Rio looks like a distinguished old bird! :)

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
awatkins said:
Hey, thanks for the tip, Rose! I'm just now getting around to pitching to them, and landed a couple of assignments for the Dog-Free Zone.
Wow! Congrats! When is your article(s) scheduled to run? Be sure to let me know...my spies in Portland will have to be sure to save me a copy of that issue.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Rose said:
Wow! Congrats! When is your article(s) scheduled to run? Be sure to let me know...my spies in Portland will have to be sure to save me a copy of that issue.

I'm working on a rush piece that may run in June, and something for July. At least, that's the plan at this moment! Thanks again for the tip, Rose. :)

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
My piece is supposed to run in June or July...wouldn't it be so cool if we're in the same issue? Chalk one up for AW!