Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
You guys are the experts in this field, so I'd thought I'd ask here. How difficult is it to do a novelization for a franchise? This is a comic book series, with a recent movie. Let's say I have a couple of outlines for books dealing with the characters and universe of this franchise--who would be my inquirery/contact person? And how does something like this work? Provided of course, I get the go ahead, does something like this pay a flat fee, or is some other kind of arrangement? And, yes, I have an agent.

Might as well come out and name them: The Transformers. I do believe Hasbro owns the rights and patents. Would it be a company exec of Hasbro that I should query? And what department?

I know this is a long, long shot, because such work, if it's in the making, or soon to be, is usually done within the industry or in-house. Just what kind of odds am I bucking here? In fact, is there a Transformers novel already out there?

Thanks for your response and advice.

Tri

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
The Transformers comic license is currently held by IDW. You could query them about their submission policy.

As for novelizations/tie-in work...Uwe would know the procedure for that. You should ask him.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
The trick about novelizations of the movies (nevermind tie-ins for the moment) is that by the time the movie's out, the novelization is long-since written. Sometimes, it's written based off the first draft of the movie script (which leads to weird incongruities).

Anyway, if you tried to write the novelization, then what would Peter David have to do with his time? :) Honestly, the man just writers novelizations like the rest of us breathe.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Truth is, you can write what you want and sub it wherever.

Truth also is, that likely as not, it won't do you one jot of good.

Establish yourself, get an agent, and when the rumors of the next project due to hit the studio sound-stage starts rumbling, tell your agent you want to meet the producers and why.

But without the track-record, another truth is that as a written piece, it'll be pretty useless to your portfolio of work. Unless you want a really long bit of fanfic.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.