NaNo Tips on Keeping Going

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
Okay, thread open for SHORT snippets about keeping going, or even just getting started.

Here are mine.

Problem: I can't start! I have no motivation....
Method:

Imagine the first exciting scene. Low-impact, but still has that certain something. For me, it's when my psychopath joins the crew.

Fill your head with that scene like a movie. Find some jivy song, doesn't matter what it is. Now make a movie in your head, complete with soundtrack---more like a music video, actually.

Do this visualization while bored at work or commuting.

When you get time to write, spill out what you see. Yeah, that's not going to get everything translated properly, but it will get you going and get you excited.

And no, this will not get you the right beginning... but perhaps now you can go back and fill in the beginning. See next problem, scene isn't working!

Problem: This scene isn't working!
Method:

Add a weird twist. The more outre (read: melodramatic), the better. Very indirect method, but it works for me. Examples....

Husband and wife talking to each other, and husband is staying late at work? That's kind of boring. How about... wife had an affair? Don't say it outright. But run it under the conversation and under the POV character's thoughts, like a cancer. That's interesting.

Or, man is interviewing? Heck, even interviews with shadow organizations can be bloody boring. So put the conversation in an experimental military jet zipping across the skies, and have posh food served, and make the interviewer mysterious---a lady in a business suit, but veiled, with a strangely attractive voice, like an echo in your head. That's interesting.

Or drop in a man with a gun, or a dead body.

Shake it up! No, it may not be art, but you can tone it down later! Get excited!

Summary:

It is far more important to get moving than anything else. So step it up!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Tips for keeping going: avoid the internet!

(Sorry, I'm procrastinating (surprise) & had to tell myself that.)

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
When in doubt, feed 'em!

I'm only on my second scene, and already, my peeps are in a diner, eating pork chops. :D With Tobasco, calling 'em 'crack chops' cause they're so freaking good.

Okay, perhaps not really good advice...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A great tip.

Another tip: have a word war/challenge with someone else!
Yes, this is awesome motivation for writing!

My tip: If you don't know what exactly you want to say right when you get there, or need further researching, or just plain aren't in the mood for that part right now, put in a placeholder and highlight it, then keep going. And, yes, the placeholder words count :D

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Heh...mine just finished a dinner, with dessert even. Lots of nice subtext, and they're about to get a message that ruins the fun.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just use nano for what it is...BIC time. Just sit down and type. Fly. Jump off the roof. Let yourself go and don't look back. This is the month for quantity, not quality. The one month in the whole year. Just type. Later, you might find some pretty golden nuggets in the pile of words you spew. That's my motivation...just keep going.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, one more. When in doubt, jump to the next conflict.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, you guys better be right because I'm taking your advice. :) I'm skipping over the hard parts and just GOING.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Sage mentioned highlighting problem areas, but what I use is the angle bracket trick. If I don't like the <word/phrase/paragraph> I've chosen, I surround the section with <>. Because <> are not part of English, they stand out later when I'm rereading.

Because I write fantasy, many standard phrases cannot be used in my story since they're anachronisms. Rather than stop and hunt for a better fit, I bracket the phrase and move on.

The brackets also help calm the inner editor. I use them as a promise to myself to come back later and look more closely at the problem. Because I know I'll investigate later, I can continue now without worrying about it.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
Don't leave the novel to do research. Just put [RESEARCH] in brackets and make stuff up.

End your writing for the day on a cliffhanger so you are excited to get started when you come back.

I skip around in the story alot. It is a pain to edit, yes, but keep writing!

If I write something something new that changes earlier work, I just put a note in brackets like [search/replace char name] or [foreshadow in ch2].

Dream sequences are good wordcount padding.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm usually all about jumping around, but I've found that I'm more motivated to keep writing during NaNo if I go in order. If there's something that I absolutely want to write this minute, well, I had better work harder to get there, huh? :)

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Don't leave the novel to do research. Just put [RESEARCH] in brackets and make stuff up.

Agreed, or if you find you absolutely must research something, follow Uncle Jim's quick research suggestion and only look in the children's section of the library or bookstore.

I also leave a lot of <check timing> notes to myself to make certain later on that different events match up properly.

Nahotep

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thetulgey.blogspot.com
Damn! I've been researching jujitsu philosophy for my NaNo novel. Time I could've spent on writing.

(To self) Stop that! Make it up! Keep writing.

My inner editor has ubervillain superpowers. I hope NaNo can give my inner writer the strength to beat him off with a torrent of words...

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
If your internal editor is fighting you for equal access time, put on a blindfold. S/he can't nitpick what he can't see, and that frees your fingers up for moving forward without editing. Yes, I'm serious on this - give it a try.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Have your MC walk the street and have him/her being attacked.
The MC either fights back, or runs off, right into someone or something, gets hit by a car, rolls off an embankment, etc. ... and things are off and running, stuff just keeps happening.
Worry about the reasons and consequences later, that's what I would do.

dancingandflying

Is it tea time yet?
Registered
Reaction score
i write the most when it's just stream-of-conciousness stuff so i use that to my advantage. i bring up the mc's memories, internal conflicts, to-do lists, etc. in the middle of the scene.

fantastic writing? no. but it does boost up the word count a lot.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
While writing my FF challenge entry for ealier this evening, I figured out EXACTLY how to put a pirate into my land-lubber steampunk story! I'll start start on it again tomorrow, while I'm only what, 7,000 words behind...

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
FF is a great way to build NaNo momentum!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Another one: read the NaNo-isms thread on the NaNo forum. (Or subscribe to it, so you get the posts by email even when the site is down.) I was in a lousy writing mood when I opened my email and now can't stop laughing.

Of course, this can also very easily turn into a procrastination tactic.

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score
Eek, I did some research last night. Inside I'm yelling, "No! No! I shouldn't be doing this! TABOO!" Outside I'm yelling, "Where is it?? I need that information!"
I cheated and lengthened the scope of information I was using.

Tip: Have something random happen for a starting conversation piece. The neighbor's dog lifted a leg to its owner's Barbeque grill, the little girl in the playground faceplanted in the sandbox, or your character's shirt tag was sticking out.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
I like the idea of writing blindfolded a lot! My eyes always seem to get in the way of my fingers (yay for dissembodied body parts!).

To get into writing, I briefly outline a few chapters by hand on a notepad (class time is best for doing this). Usually it gets me going. I don't outline the whole thing and least of all in advance.

I also call myself names. But that might not work for everyone :p