Do you write unsent letters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Bit of background to this question.

This evening I told a friend about the last book I bought - Unbreakable: My life with Paul - A story of extraordinary courage and love by Lindsey Hunter.

F***ing tragic tale. I flicked forward a few chapters and it made me cry. Anyway. I told my friend that contained in the book is a lover letter she wrote Paul after he died.

My friend said, "After he died? What's the point of that?" Almost in a sneering way, like it was a stupid idea.

And so I told her, "To help her grieve, of course!" I mean, a normally intelligent woman who, although not a writer herself, cannot understand the therapeutic benefits of writing yourself through your darkest times? Lindsey Hunter wrote the book (with a ghost, admittedly) and that in itself probably helped ease her pain a little. I certainly hope it did. I was a fan of her husband's and only got to see him play once. But at least I did that much.

But anyway...this 'friend' I spoke to - the same one who alleges you cannot call yourself a writer unless you're published - just didn't get it.

*sigh*

Time for some spring-cleaning in my social circle, I think.

This conversation presented me with the idea for this thread: do you write letters to people in your life and then not send them? Do you write to people knowing they will never read your words, but still addressing your works to them anyway?

I certainly do that with letters. If you're a part of my life in any meaningful way, chances are I've written to you and not sent the letter. It enables me to get my feelings out, to articulate and understand them, without having to freak out, scare or smother the other person. I write. It's what I do. I love it.

Also, poems. Almost every poem I've ever written has been about, for, or inspired by someone whose presence in my life has had an impact.

What about you?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I wrote my mother a loooooong letter after she died and buried it with her. And it's not a letter, but it's a message: my dad and I used to play cut-throat dominoes. After my mom died (about 8 years after my dad), when I inherited his set of ivory dominoes from her, I took the hated double six and dug a hole above Dad's coffin and buried it above him. He's stuck with it for eternity and I win! :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have unsent letters, yes. I occasionally write them in word and close word without saving. They are sent though...I believe that with all my heart.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I was cleaning out my paper files recently and came across a small packet of letters I'd written to my mother. Written, but never sent. I read them through, cried, then burned 'em. Life goes on.

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. It's helped me to get out feelings and thoughts I was never able to properly express (often with ex-boyfriends).

While in the middle of a move in August, I found a short note written to an ex (really, the one that mattered the most to me at the time)...it was written on an index card. It ended with "I loved you. Deal with it." I was surprised I'd written the thing, if only because after all the years...I didn't feel that way anymore. The letter's pretty good, though. I might recycle it for a story.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I write letters and don't send them. And yes, it is very therapeutic. Too bad your friend doesn't see that.

Another thing I've done, write angry letters and then set them on fire. Fire is therapeutic as well.

<----not a pyro.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I don't write letters. But I do rant and rave like a crazy person when I go on walks, sort of as if the individual was there and I was spilling my heart out to them. I think that's why I like winter. You wear a nice big scarf wrapped around your face and then no one can see your lips move. Also excellent for singing.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Nights in white satin never reaching the end
Letters I've written never meaning to send
Beauty I'd always missed with these eyes before
Just what the truth is I can't say any more
'Cause I love you yes I love you oh how I love you

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I have, but not for many years. I've never had a roomate or partner that could resist snooping.

I've received unsent letters, too. After my sister died we found her old diaries and other papers shoved into a large cardboard box. We also found letters to each of us, all her sisters, written a long time ago.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My friend said, "After he died? What's the point of that?" Almost in a sneering way, like it was a stupid idea.

And so I told her, "To help her grieve, of course!"

Exactly. It's actually one of the plot elements in The Pacific Between.

There's nothing odd about writing unsent letters, or write a letter to your beloved who is dead. It's, for example, the main premise of Message in a Bottle.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've written letters several times when I was particularly angry toward, or hurt by, someone. Then, I've put them away for a day or two and read them before deciding whether to send them.

I've never sent one of these; I've ripped up every one.

But I did feel better having written the letters. And writing down those feelings helped me look at them objectively and realise that the feelings were valid, but that it was best not to act on them. Hurt passes, but the damage done from lashing out may not.

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of something I heard on CBC radio. It was on a show where the host read letters that people sent to him.

A woman wrote to the show about her mother. Apparently, the mother had written hundreds of letters to this show, but never sent any of them. The letters made up all sorts of things about her family. Siblings that never existed. Events, like family deaths, that never happened. Despite all the prose that the daughter dressed up her own letter in, the point that came across loud and clear that her mother was a compulsive liar.

In short: if you write letters, make sure they are factual or, if you must be a compulsive liar, burn them before you die.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
I do that all the time.

Like you said...it's therapeutic.

I think I have a dozen or so letters of resignation sitting somewhere on my hard drive. :)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you write to people knowing they will never read your words, but still addressing your works to them anyway?
Frequently. It's more than therapeutic. It helps me think things through.

I've done this for as long as I can remember.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a wonderful pen pal, at least in thought. I'm terrible at remembering to drop the letters into the mail. I'll often spend days writing, sometimes picking up where I left off, sometimes stating it's the following morning, etc. By the time I finish, I begin to worry I've gone into one thing or another to deeply and decide to call and talk direct telling them everything I almost sent a letter about.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
After my grandpa died, I remember my grandma keeping a pad of paper and a pen by the bed. She sat up and wrote to him every night before she went to sleep.

Me, occasionally I write angry letters and then delete them.

But sometimes I write nice fuzzy letters expressing how much I like and appreciate someone, and then I give it to them. I've learned to do this because I am not a naturally expressive person and it's likely the only way a lot of people are going to realize that I like them. People are usually surprised and then very happy and our friendship becomes closer.

Sometimes I write long letters to people when they are going through a crisis, even if I don't know them very well. A girl in my church group wigged out one time, like completely, but I understood what she was saying. I wrote her a long email just expressing my thoughts on the matter, and she called me up and we had coffee. We haven't hung out since then but for that one day we really connected.

Same with my friend who almost got raped. She was pretty screwed up mentally for a while, blaming herself like victims sometimes do-- trying to figure out what she did wrong. So I ended up writing her a long letter about how she shouldn't blame herself. Afterwards she thanked me a lot because it helped her get over that feeling of self-hatred.

So I say if you write good letters, send them. Don't wait until you die or whatever for people to find out what you thought about them. Let them know while you can do something about it.

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
I write letters when I'm mad or hurt by someone. My best friend and I had a falling out last year. When we eventually tried to sort things out, email was the only way we could communicate with each other without breaking down. So I would write these long emails but make myself save them for one day - 24 whole hours - before sending them. Usually by the time I re-read them the next day, any anger had passed and I was able to send better emails, therefore not fuelling the flames. We've made up and things are great now, and I owe it all to letters.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I've written some, yes. But they were meant to be sent, which is why I went out of my way to make them super-nasty and hateful. It was fun writing them, but then I realized I'm not a super-nasty and hateful person, so I didn't send them. So they were burned.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
But anyway...this 'friend' I spoke to - the same one who alleges you cannot call yourself a writer unless you're published - just didn't get it.

So, why are you friends with this person? ;)

I have written unsent letters although not in a long time. They helped me to focus my thoughts and work out exactly how I felt about issues. Can't see anything wrong with that.

Reaction score
So, why are you friends with this person? ;)

I have written unsent letters although not in a long time. They helped me to focus my thoughts and work out exactly how I felt about issues. Can't see anything wrong with that.

That's what I'm beginning to wonder.

I think the time has come to pull away socially. Once I started my new job she started saying things like, "You'll have to do this," and "You'll have to organise that," and "Blah blah time management blah organisation."

Uh...no. I don't 'have to' do anything. I'm thirty-one years old, have lived on my own for ten, and am quite capable of organising my own life without your nagging input, thank you very much.

But that's a whole other thread.

Reaction score
...So I say if you write good letters, send them. Don't wait until you die or whatever for people to find out what you thought about them. Let them know while you can do something about it.

That's what scares me - the thought of sending these letters. It all comes down to a fear of rejection.

But the thing is, years ago while I was going through a very bitter break-up (I was about 22; he was a couple of years older) the 'man' in question said, "You always did write really good letters." So even though we were at each other's throats and doing anything possible to hurt each other, he still found a few moments amongst all that to calm right down and pay me a compliment. So I assumed he meant it.

Because if someone who hates you and whom you hate can say something nice about you, chances are it's genuine. ;) It's the brown-nosers you have to watch out for. But as the quotation goes, "Never forget what a man says to you when he is angry." - Henry Ward Beecher. Also, "Between whom there is hearty truth, there is love." - Henry David Thoreau.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still write unsent letters. Many of them are in my journals. Sometimes I even copy them and send them out.

But not often. It depends on who I am talking to - sometimes I am just talking to myself. (sometimes? only sometimes? LOL.)

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
When I first began doing genealogy research, I learned that an older second cousin was doing the same, and contacted her. I had, as an 8-year old, attended her first wedding sometime around 1960, but had never really met her. We shared about a dozen e-mails, then she was killed in a car accident. I never did meet her, never spoke to her. Since then, as I have researched our joint line, I have documented my findings in a series of letters to her. Years from now, when one of my children looks at my file for that line, they will find a bunch of letters written to a dead woman I never met, and possibly think me daffy.

NDG

Velma deSelby Bowen

I miss the mountains....
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I write letters, loving, happy, and angry, and never send them, but this coming year, I intend to send more of the loving and happy ones, particularly the "I am glad that you're in my life" letters. People don't say that to each other often enough, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.