Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Have you ever looked at your first draft and then realized... you liked parts of it better than the revised version?! Uh-oh.
:Wha:

What happened?! :scared: I thought the first draft was supposed to be sh*t. Now when I look at it, I wonder if some parts of it were better. (Overall, the first draft was sh*t, but so was the second draft. :tongue)

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I thought about my very first first draft was that the narrative voice was stronger than in subsequent drafts. Other than that, it was pure stinky poo.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
My first drafts tend not to vary much from the final ones. And for some reason I am always rather shocked by that. You would think I would be getting used to it.

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
When I'm actively writing, since I use a computer, I do what you're not supposed to do and edit right in the draft. I really should train myself out of that at some point...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I actually don't keep changes. I edit and save from the first draft. Which is probably insane, but I don't have the patience for saving multiple versions and trying to keep track of them. So I can't even answer the question, having never compared a first draft with a second.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, sometimes I like pieces of my original draft better. I've noticed something similar when I draw. Sometimes my sketches have a vitality or freshness which is lacking when I'm done with the finished drawing.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Shhhhh! I'm days away from finishing my first draft. Do you mean to tell me it's not perfect? lol.

I already know how I plan to rewrite the first couple chapters, which is the very first stuff I wrote, but some of it I like and plan to leave more or less 'as is'.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reworking a WIP, third draft. The second draft added a lot of very good material, but the tone suffered badly (no fun anymore). The third draft is filling in the remaining details and returning more to the original tone. That is, when my computer isn't swallowing my saved changes and pretending they never happened.

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I just remembered, I don't quite just do everything to one file. When I take out big sections of stuff I cut-and-paste it into a separate file instead of obliterating it entirely, even though most of the time I don't miss it.

I probably should turn on change tracking or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.