Privileged language, Register, and Humor (split from "A Little Support" in TIO)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I wonder if we could hit on the source of humor again for a moment? It was mentioned wrt. Ol' Fashioned Girl's PMS comment.

There are many many gender/race/disability jokes that are socially acceptable if made by the in-group and not by the out-group. Yeh? Because from the out-group it implies "And I'm Better", but from the in-group it does not. ETA: from the in-group it's a form of commiseration.

This is a simple fact of language -- it does depend on who's speaking. In a community this large though, we don't always know who's speaking and what their background is.

So perhaps it's useful for us all to keep in mind that a) the person making epileptic jokes might be epileptic or have a loved one who is, and it might be a tension release thing. and b) you could hurt people with your humor, and it does not make them unreasonable, it makes them people who have different context from you.

and c) when someone has ninety thousand posts here, like Haskins does :D (ETA: And joined in Feb 1905) it's only fair to assume they have a lot of shared context with some other people on the board. And when someone has 15 posts, and has joined in Oct 2007, maybe it's okay to tread a little gently around them even if you normally wouldn't.

Which is to say, I often look at post count and join date to try and get basic context. Maybe it's a useful thing to do?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
There are many many gender/race/disability jokes that are socially acceptable if made by the in-group and not by the out-group. Yeh? Because from the out-group it implies "And I'm Better", but from the in-group it does not. ETA: from the in-group it's a form of commiseration.

i simply do not subscribe to this view.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I do the same thing, Shweta -- that's a really useful suggestion, and thank you.
I wonder if we could hit on the source of humor again for a moment? It was mentioned wrt. Ol' Fashioned Girl's PMS comment.

This is a simple fact of language -- it does depend on who's speaking. In a community this large though, we don't always know who's speaking and what their background is.

So perhaps it's useful for us all to keep in mind that a) the person making epileptic jokes might be epileptic or have a loved one who is, and it might be a tension release thing. and b) you could hurt people with your humor, and it does not make them unreasonable, it makes them people who have different context from you.

and c) when someone has ninety thousand posts here, like Haskins does :D (ETA: And joined in Feb 1905) it's only fair to assume they have a lot of shared context with some other people on the board. And when someone has 15 posts, and has joined in Oct 2007, maybe it's okay to tread a little gently around them even if you normally wouldn't.

Which is to say, I often look at post count and join date to try and get basic context. Maybe it's a useful thing to do?

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
To Haskins, not Mac: Yes, I've noticed, but to my knowledge, most sociolinguists (who actually look at the data) do :tongue

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
To Haskins, not Mac: Yes, I've noticed, but to my knowledge, most sociolinguists (who actually look at the data) do :tongue

sociolinguists are not the guardians of the language. language belongs to the masses. like rocks. whether you choose to pile them into a garden wall or carve them into a sculpture or throw them through a window is up to you, provided you accept the consequences.

i'll be dead as fried chicken before anyone tells me what i can and cannot say.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Goodness, do you know what sociolinguists actually, y'know... do?

They don't tell anyone what to say and what not to. They look at language use, in context, and its effects.

If a physicist tells you that if you step off a balcony you'll fall, the physicist is giving you an empirical result. Not stopping you from stepping off a balcony expecting to float (unless, y'know, he's physically restraining you, which is another matter).

What I understand from the sociolinguists is that jokes have different effects depending on who they're coming from. As do many other speech acts. Empirical result.
This does not forbid you from anything. But if you insist on ignoring the data, that's your call, there are consequences. That's all.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
One can say anything, but not anywhere. If not by law, then by courtesy. I had that explained to me once, by a bouncer.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
What I understand from the sociolinguists is that jokes have different effects depending on who they're coming from. As do many other speech acts. Empirical result.
This does not forbid you from anything. But if you insist on ignoring the data, that's your call, there are consequences. That's all.
The problem here--imo--is that sociolinguists can, like many people, make assumptions about who others are, in terms of what group they are a member of. And they do this with no consideration for the actual point of view in this regard of the person whose point of view they would like to define. So, the in-group and the out-group are defined arbitrarily by someone who assumes they have the ability to make these distinctions on behalf of others. Haskins is quite right, imo of course.

And it's really not all that empirical.

Last edited:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Sure, that can happen in any study, especially if they don't actually ask participants how they categorize themselves (which most do, in my experience).

But that doesn't stop it being empirical; any empirical discipline is going to make mistaken assumptions, find data that contradicts their assumptions, adjust accordingly, etc.
We're never right, we can just hope to be less wrong than we used to be. It's still less wrong than making blithe assumptions without any data.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in fourth grade, one of my best friends (who was black, and who I presume still is) used to call me 'nigger'. I called him 'honky'. We chased each other around, gave each other noogies, and cracked up every time. It didn't bother anyone else, and no one else made it their business.

Good, good times.

'Course, we never - ever - switched those nicknames.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sure, that can happen in any study, especially if they don't actually ask participants how they categorize themselves (which most do, in my experience).

But that doesn't stop it being empirical; any empirical discipline is going to make mistaken assumptions, find data that contradicts their assumptions, adjust accordingly, etc.
We're never right, we can just hope to be less wrong than we used to be. It's still less wrong than making blithe assumptions without any data.
Okay, I can go with that, except the idea that is represents empirical data as a matter of fact. When couched in a series of mistaken assumptions, such data can be far too subjective to simply be taken as empirical, unless it is presented as a series of mere opinions, itself. At which point, it can be every bit as blithe as the opinion of anyone else.

And this is the same discussion--in yet another form--that we've had at least twice before. :)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I'm not saying that you have to believe the studies. Just that there are authorities -- whose idea of methodology I have reason to trust -- who do.

So long as neither of you intend your disagreement as anything other than a statement of disagreement, I'm cool with it. But simple disagreement ain't a counterargument to me, if you're trying to make one. That's all.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
When couched in a series of mistaken assumptions, such data can be far too subjective to simply be taken as empirical, unless it is presented as a series of mere opinions, itself. At which point, it can be every bit as blithe as the opinion of anyone else.

furthermore, when the assumptions are attached to an agenda, it has the effect of academically "shaming" some use of language, which diffuses over time, allowing the scientists to stamp the very nature of public discourse.

and control of language (even the attempt) is nearly exclusively tied to a desire to control thought.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Aw, and here I was hoping it was the dead parrot sketch.

This, sir, is an ex-argument!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Does 'Burt Bacharach' begin with an S?"

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
furthermore, when the assumptions are attached to an agenda, it has the effect of academically "shaming" some use of language, which diffuses over time, allowing the scientists to stamp the very nature of public discourse.

Yes, and there are definitely such studies, though more in psychology than linguistics (there's more money in psych). Most of them are just plain bad, apart from being attached to an agenda. I'm going from being in a department with a couple of the world's top sociolinguists, and their sources tend to be rather less... suspect.

The reason I keep saying "sociolinguists say" rather than "I know", by the way, is not because I want to lean on their authority. It's more a form of "I've heard..." because I haven't read these particular studies myself.

ETA: Obviously, I should have said that up front, but the possibility didn't even occur to me before that it might read as argument-from authority. I saw it as adding data to the mix, no more.

and control of language (even the attempt) is nearly exclusively tied to a desire to control thought.

Yes. But a request to self-control language might well be a request to consider cognitive self-control. Which is not really a bad thing. Especially if it means external controls become less necessary.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Right.

It's not a question of "believing" the studies, at all. It's a question of the "why" behind the studies and the "why" behind the acceptance of the studies, along with the consequences of such. To surrender the definition of reality to language is to surrender reality--itself--to potential control through language.

As to a counterargument, I've noted some before, I believe. Here's my favorite. Conditioned responses are not always what they seem to be, when it comes to both language and action.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
It's not a question of "believing" the studies, at all. It's a question of the "why" behind the studies and the "why" behind the acceptance of the studies, along with the consequences of such. To surrender the definition of reality to language is to surrender reality--itself--to potential control through language.

I'm pretty confused as to how this relates, at all, to my original point.

It's fairly clear that (for example) a black person can call another black person "nigger" without offense, and a white person cannot, and also that there's a huge difference between epileptics and their close friends making epileptic jokes and random strangers doing so. Why is the fact that there are empirical studies backing up that fairly-clear point scary?

I don't get what this has to do with surrendering reality by paying attention to studies. I think, if anything, your point that surrendering language is surrendering control of more than language simply supports the notion I was talking about -- that communities keep control over their accepted language use and don't accept the same things from outsiders that they do from their own.

And... I read through the comments on the book you linked to, robeiae, and I just don't see the link.

So maybe I think this discussion is about something other than what you think it's about.:Shrug:

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Right.

I'd counter that to attempt to disconnect language from reality is silly and actually destructive -- and ultimately futile.

Language describes reality, and to accomplish that, it must by definition maintain some fairly stable relationship with it.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a timely gem (from ESPN, Stern condemns conduct of Knicks management - emphasis mine):

A portion of Thomas' deposition was shown in court during the trial and the tape showed Thomas saying he made a distinction between a black man calling a black woman "bitch" and a white man doing the same thing. The coach was criticized for that by Al Sharpton, who threatened to lead protests at Knicks games unless Thomas explained his remarks.

Wow.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm sooooooo tempted to move this part of the thread to Colorado Guy's room. It would make him so happy.