Contacting agencies for research, pre-query

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I can't find any threads on this already but I apologise if it has been asked before.

Is it considered a no-no to contact an agency and ask them about the sort of fiction they accept and their preferences before sending a query? I'm currently trying to find an agent for an historical fantasy and a few of the agencies I've found don't have websites of their own and don't list a lot of detail about the submissions they take.

JessR

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
What process have you used to collect the names in your list? The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook for example has a list of basically every agent in the UK and what they represent. I find it difficult to answer your question, as I simply don't really believe that there is NO information about these agents on the web (have you googled their names? have you checked out agentquery.com?). If there is absolutely no info, maybe that's a sign not to submit to them.

HOWEVER

And people here will probably disagree with me . . .

. . . but when I was subbing to agents (in the UK), if there wasn't a name listed to whom I was supposed to sub I actually telephoned the agency and asked for the name. I didn't ask to speak with the agent in person or anything, just a name (though sometimes they'd put me through anyway). Everyone was really polite, and I even had a nice chat with an agent himself who asked me a bit about my writing experience, and then about what I wrote, and when I told him it was children's he really kindly told me he didn't rep that. I laughed and said never mind then, and he laughed too. I figure as long as you are nice about stuff, and professional, it isn't going to kill you.

So my point is if you are absolutely desperate, I would say a quick phone call could be okay. But make it short.

"Hi, I was curious what genres you represent."
"We represent only books by seven foot tall purple monsters."
"Thank you very much!"

And THAT'S IT. Don't try to pitch your book then and there.

But please google first!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It is OK to phone UK agencies.
This is one of the biggest differences with US agencies who do not like to be called.
On occasions the agent themselves will answer the phone.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I had no idea there was a discrepancy! Man I can be slow sometimes. That makes so much more sense now with everything I read on blogs and stuff. Thanks waylander!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
In 'From Pitch to Publication' a book for writers by UK lit agent Carole Blake of Blake Friedman, it is suggested that writers should call agencies and briefly describe their novel to establish whether it falls in their area of interest. I did this with at least 10 UK agencies and they were all courteous and informative.
This would not be popular with US agents!

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Man I wish I'd known! Could have saved a fortune on postage. Ah well, it all worked out in the end. And yeah, I don't think the US agents would appreciate that at all, lol!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
What process have you used to collect the names in your list? The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook for example has a list of basically every agent in the UK and what they represent. I find it difficult to answer your question, as I simply don't really believe that there is NO information about these agents on the web (have you googled their names? have you checked out agentquery.com?). If there is absolutely no info, maybe that's a sign not to submit to them.

HOWEVER

And people here will probably disagree with me . . .

. . . but when I was subbing to agents (in the UK), if there wasn't a name listed to whom I was supposed to sub I actually telephoned the agency and asked for the name. I didn't ask to speak with the agent in person or anything, just a name (though sometimes they'd put me through anyway). Everyone was really polite, and I even had a nice chat with an agent himself who asked me a bit about my writing experience, and then about what I wrote, and when I told him it was children's he really kindly told me he didn't rep that. I laughed and said never mind then, and he laughed too. I figure as long as you are nice about stuff, and professional, it isn't going to kill you.

So my point is if you are absolutely desperate, I would say a quick phone call could be okay. But make it short.

"Hi, I was curious what genres you represent."
"We represent only books by seven foot tall purple monsters."
"Thank you very much!"

And THAT'S IT. Don't try to pitch your book then and there.

But please google first!

The way I go about it is to look up the agencies in the Writer's Handbook and then either check their website or google them if no website is listed - quite often the lists of interests in the Writer's Handbook / Writers and Artists' yearbooks are at variance with the agencies' websites, probably because the books aren't updated as regularly (I was told, for instance, that the 2007 Writer's Handbook is compiled mid-2006).

The reason I ask is there is an agency I was looking at that lists 'fantasy' as one of their categories, in fact an area of specific interest, but having dealt with them in the past I had an odd comment in one of the rejections that seemed to hint that they don't take fantasy any more, or else they have very specific requirements about the sort of fantasy they accept (epic or what have you). I can't find any details of this online as any mention of the agency refers to their entry in the yearbooks / handbook. I figured if I could call and just ask generally what they accept at least then I'd have an up to date answer. I didn't intend pitching the book.

Waylander - thank you for your answer and for your information. :)

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
"I didn't intend pitching the book"

And I so didn't think you did either, but it is just something I throw in there on the off chance. I'm sorry if it came across like I was insinuating you would!

And like both Waylander and I said, I do think you can call them.

Good luck with it all!