Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Suddenly, my knowledge of grammar has gone out the window and I'm finding I'm questioning even basic stuff.

OK, in attribution (is the even the correct term?) I'm wondering about capitalizations for said and ask.

Example 1:
"Learn anything?" she asked.

Example 2:
"Learn anything?" She asked.

Is the she capitalized? Is Learn anything? a complete sentence, ending with a question mark, therefore She asked becomes it's own sentence or does the question mark act like a comma in that case so then it's all one sentence and she would not be capitalized?

This NaNoWriMo has got me all stressed!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Example #1 is correct--you don't capitalize "she."

Learn anything? is, grammatically speaking, missing a subject. But I think it's perfectly understandable and is fine for conversation.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think it's an inversion. The subject is "she," and the verb is "ask." The straight form of the sentence is: She asked "learn anything?" So by inverting the sentence it now becomes: "Learn anything?" she asked.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter whether "Learn anything?" is a complete sentence. The question mark is the source of confusion here. Look at dialog that isn't a question:
"I agree with you," she said.
"The book," she said.
The standard for punctuating dialog requires that a comma be used in place of a period, whether or not the dialog itself is a complete sentence, as long as it isn't also the end of the narrative sentence which contains it. Similarly, the following "she" is not capitalized, because you're still in the same narrative sentence.

When the dialog is a question, on the other hand, the question mark has to be used, which makes it superficially look like the end of a sentence. Nevertheless, the overall structure remains the same. The dialog is still contained within a narrative sentence and "she" does not begin a new sentence. (The same situation also occurs with exclamation points.)
"Learn anything?" she asked.
"Oh, no!" she said.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Now a monkey wrench:

Which is correct:

She asked, "Learn anything?"

or

She asked, "learn anything?"

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
You want the first, maestrowork. The dialogue tag going at the front doesn't change the capitalization of the quoted sentence.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Same thing. You have to distinguish the dialog from the narrative sentence which contains it. "Learn" is the beginning of the dialog, so it gets capitalized, even when it isn't the beginning of the outer narrative sentence. And again, it doesn't matter whether the dialog itself is a fragment, a complete sentence, or multiple sentences. It still starts with a capital letter.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
And then it gets even more complicated:

"Learn anything?" she asked, "Or do you need more time?"

"Learn anything," she asked, "or do you need more time?"

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
You can use either structure, but if you use the first one, put a period after "asked." The second is correct as stands.

bluejester12

I write and I wrong
Registered
Reaction score
You can use either structure, but if you use the first one, put a period after "asked." The second is correct as stands.

Yes, because it is all part of one sentence. If "or..." was a second sentence altogether then:

"Learn anything?" she asked. "I certainly didn't."

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
And then it gets even more complicated:

"Learn anything?" she asked, "Or do you need more time?"

"Learn anything," she asked, "or do you need more time?"

First one is wrong. There should be a period after "asked". Second one is correct but doesn't equal the first (assuming you have a period after "asked"). The difference is that the first is made up of two sentences (or a sentence fragment and a sentence to be more precise). The second is a compound sentence with the conjunction "or". If you speak them, one has a longer pause. "She asked" here is just a tag. You can very well do away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.