• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display site] FaithWriters

DaveKuzminski

I think this one needs to be looked into. I received an email that states: "Recently, I found that FaithWriters.com had published in print two short stories I had posted on their web site. When I contacted the owner about the print publication he advised me that anything posted on the site could be used in a print publication. I checked and sure enough the statement although vague and ambiguous is on the site. But I received no notice or permission request before the book was printed. And the owner is saying I still retain copyrights after my stories appeared in print. Nice guy! Anyway, just thought I should let someone know about this new marketing technique in the name of getting exposure."

I visited the site briefly, but I didn't spot that notice at first glance. I shall revisit it tonight and try to find out more.

DaveKuzminski

Re: FaithWriters.com

Yep, nicely hidden, too. It's on a page where most people won't bother to look because they expect to see the typical legal gibberish found on many sites. You don't even have to read it to agree with the registration form.

If I'm not mistaken, that kind of actuation was found unreasonable in a court not too long ago. In other words, the terms have to be visible on the registration form. Otherwise, the page that's referred to could be changed without anyone being the wiser.

Yep, they're on shaky legal ground. There's a case at URL www.phillipsnizer.com/lib...TopicID=44 between Sprecht and Netscape that covers the placement of use agreements and that could easily apply here. Of course, they'll need a lawyer to confirm that since it's only my uninformed opinion that it applies.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FaithWriters.com

Looks like these folks haven't changed.