Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
Okay, so I went off in my blog, but I'm really tired of stereotypes in comics, graphic novels, and such about how a woman is supposed to look. What I wouldn't give for some normal Janes that aren't potrayed as the "ugly chick."
What do you guys and gals think? Have you found some comics out there that break the mold?

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Having female breasts myself (since I'm a woman :p), I can assure you they look anything BUT "overturned teacups". More like a pair of extra fleshy things.

And I certainly don't draw my females with that kind of shape, either. Nor do I stick to one size. I have average, large, and small. So I guess in some ways, my comics "break the mold" in that regard.

Last edited:

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
Having female breasts myself (since I'm a woman :p), I can assure you they look anything BUT "overturned teacups". More like a pair of extra fleshy things.

*Peeks inside her own shirt* Nope. Mine never have, either. Maybe a little like teabags...

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
*Peeks inside her own shirt* Nope. Mine never have, either. Maybe a little like teabags...

:ROFL:Yeah, only bigger, in my case most definitely.

Seriously, anyone who compares breasts to teacups needs to be sat back into life drawing classes with live female models of all shapes and sizes.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
:ROFL:Yeah, only bigger, in my case most definitely.

Seriously, anyone who compares breasts to teacups needs to be sat back into life drawing classes with live female models of all shapes and sizes.

See, that's what I thought! It was one of those throw-the-book-accross-the-room moments.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
It's just as galling as finding all these women drawn with oversized breasts. Apparently no one told those guys that breasts that big causes all kinds of physical stresses on women in real life.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
Yah, that and they are really impractical. I mean, the women in comics should all have black eyes from running with them.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
I have a female character with large breasts who desires a reduction because they hurt her back. Which is a reality for any woman in that position.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I can't think of very many of my comics where women look like that.

Go read Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing. The love story, particularly.

Go read Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Go read anything by Scott McCloud.

Go look at the art of Michael Zulli, Charles Vess, et. al.

It's like saying that all women in the entire music industry are over-sexed, under-dressed, over-produced "made" artists like Britney Spears, or something. That's inaccurate, because it forgets about Thea Gilmore and Tori Amos and K.T. Tunstall and so on.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
JEEZ! Ruin those delightful scoops of gravity-defying flesh, why don't ya!?

And Pete, you panderer! Stand-up for your gender, man!

Seriously though, there are lots of female characters that don't have the wrestling watermelons under a costume mostly made of string.

But let's remember that the audience to some degree, goes for this look. It's (really, unlike Pete) pandering to the fanboys who can't get a date and would wet their pants if a real girl talked to them. And regardless of our feelings here, this argument is like complaining that all the women in playboy are naked, because real women wear clothes.

As Pete says, check out other comics. There are titles within the big two that aren't like that, and different artists do different things and have different styles. And there are LOTS of indies that are created, written and drawn by women (and men) who keep things anatomically correct.

I mentioned it the other day in another thread, "Blackets" is pretty much jubbly-free, even allowing for the sexual content.

I'll go get my flameproof jacket now. :D

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I think that the comic market has changed enough, of late, that short of some of the obscure indie comics, and quite a lot of manga, most of the people reading the Big Two comics and other mainstream comics (dare I use that word?) are fairly normal people. I go into my local comic shop, one of those stereotypical small and creepy places, and I have nice conversations with friendly people. Many of them women. All normal.

On the Marvel end of things, look at John Cassidy's work on Astonishing X-Men. Wonderful female form.

Maybe it's ot standing up for my gender (shudder, my gender scares me sometimes, nearly as much as the female gender. Me and Humanity, we're not close. :) ) but I prefer a realistically drawn and written woman to Wonder Woman, or Ms. Marvel. Neil Gaiman referred to them as looking like "men with breasts," and that's true. It's not attractive.

Whereas Kitty Pryde is hot and easy to have a crush on.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Having been to Comic Con this past summer, I can attest to the fact that there are a LOT of "normals" who read comics.

I can also attest to the fact that there are a LOT of fanboys who are the sad cliché comicbook reader.

I have to say, I love 'em all. Not least of which because I think I'm in the former group, but suspect I may be in the latter.

And if there wasn't a market for the comics which have women who look like a dead-heat in a Zepplin race, the comics wouldn't be there. Somebody is buying 'em.

I think it is also easier to darw the two extremes. Stunner with all the curves and more, or ugly troll-like being. But for the record, just picking tow at random, I don't think Renee Montoya or Sue Richards really follow the offensive line.

And lest we forget, this IS fantasy.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
I can't think of very many of my comics where women look like that.

I realize that. My Witchblade comics, as drawn by Michael Turner and Randy Green don't have that problem either, but when you get into some of the substitute artists, you have to wonder where those guys went to art school. I can't think of the name of the artist off the bat, but he drew Sara Pezzini like she was a mixture of an hour glass figure with balloons out the front. This was during the earlier days of the comic, before Green's run. Just...ick.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I realize that. My Witchblade comics, as drawn by Michael Turner and Randy Green don't have that problem either, but when you get into some of the substitute artists, you have to wonder where those guys went to art school. I can't think of the name of the artist off the bat, but he drew Sara Pezzini like she was a mixture of an hour glass figure with balloons out the front. This was during the earlier days of the comic, before Green's run. Just...ick.

Exactly. Earl Witchblade -- and most comics in the 90's -- were men with boobs running around. Stupidest shit.

But it was never always like that, and it still isn't.

Super-hero comics work by their own unique set of rules, just like television soap operas. Taken by their own rules, they are enjoyable and respectable and a delight. Viewing them from the outside makes them awkward and nearly unreadable.

More and more, the creepy NOT normal geeks which Wordmonkey mentions -- and which I do still see -- have girlfriends who are also creepy and NOT normal. A lot of the boundaries are breaking down, for whatever reason.

EDIT: I should say "HAVE BROKEN" down, since this is not a recent occurrence by any standard.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Exactly. Earl Witchblade -- and most comics in the 90's -- were men with boobs running around. Stupidest shit.

But it was never always like that, and it still isn't.

I'm glad things are changing for the better, however when you still have anatomy book authors comparing female breasts to teacups, there's still a ways to go, in my opinion. I mean, come on here. That comparison might be taken a little bit more seriously if there was an underwire push-up bra in the equation. But when you're talking about nude breasts, then no.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Well, since I read more comics than anatomy books, I wouldn't know.

Given the relative size of my tea mugs, however, it's not an unpleasant idea. :D

(sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist)

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
More and more, the creepy NOT normal geeks which Wordmonkey mentions -- and which I do still see -- have girlfriends who are also creepy and NOT normal.

Y' know, clearly I had blanked this out, but yeah, the female quotient at San Diego was also strange. Majority, us normals. But man, when they went freaky, they went FREEEEEEEEEAKY!

Being a red-blooded male, that Princess Leia costume in Jabba's palace in Star Wars VI was a delight to behold. Not after Comic Con. Must have been at least 10 wearers of said costume, and about 9 of them should NEVER have done that. EVER!

UGGH! And don't get me started on spandex. <SHUDDER>

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
PeeDee and WordMonkey: As you see from my original post I was refering to an anatomy book TEACHING artist to draw women this way. That's what I have an issue with. I realize not all comics have women who look like this, that's why I asked for examples. Which you did. I thank you for that. :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Has anyone mentioned Powers? I think that's a good example, although there's a lot of other crude stuff going with the small, small-breasted female MC. :)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm female, and I don't have a problem with women being drawn as bombshells with perky breasts. This is because I also like comics that have big sexy men with lots of muscles. :)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
PeeDee and WordMonkey: As you see from my original post I was refering to an anatomy book TEACHING artist to draw women this way. That's what I have an issue with. I realize not all comics have women who look like this, that's why I asked for examples. Which you did. I thank you for that. :)

I knew you were talking about an anatomy book teaching artists to draw. :) But since I am not an artist and therefore have no teaching books to discuss, I instead talked about the work I was familiar with. It's all I've got. :)

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I knew you were talking about an anatomy book teaching artists to draw. :) But since I am not an artist and therefore have no teaching books to discuss, I instead talked about the work I was familiar with. It's all I've got. :)

And in MY defense, I was just trying to start a fight. :D

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm female, and I don't have a problem with women being drawn as bombshells with perky breasts.

"Perky" breasts are one thing. "Unrealistically and impossibly big" are quite a different matter. I think some hentai manga are guilty of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.