NaNo-Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all --

I'm gearing up for tomorrow.... clearing the plate, going over last-minute notes & questions .... have been practicing getting up at 4:30 for writing time for a few days now so I'm all asldkhflkajwb0glt vgzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Snork! Where was I?

Oh, yeah. Word count!

I'm doing Nano on my own terms this year! I have a beginning to a story, which is around 1,500 words. My goal is to push it past 51,500 (write 50k words) by November 30th. I'm not sure if I can do this, 4:30 a.m. alarm or not, but my over-arching main idea is to firmly establish the BIC habit (it does take about 30 days to form a habit, right?) by the end of November. And establish a "wake up early to write" routine that minimizes the torture of my children & filthiness of my house.

Since no one on the NaNo forum knows me from Boo, I'm updating my word count here. While I'm at it, what are you writing on this month? Are you practicing BIC? If you are actively writing, I'm going to encourage you to post a November word count here, too. How many historical words can we write altogether this month? Anyone interested?

Oh, come on! It'll be fun!

wee

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
Word Count: wee

Initial W.C. (10-31): 1517

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Come join us over in the NaNoWriMo forum, too! It's for everyone in AW. Besides, wee, you might be the first person in the Word Count thread to post a word count greater than 0.

:D

Good luck!

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
Nanoooo forummm?? Hmmm. Now I must look for it.

I'm doing an untraditional version of it this year, so I'm not sure if I'm official or not. I've been researching this story for a few months & had started a first chapter (that may be scrapped entirely later). But I'm still considering it started for these purposes...

wee

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I'm NaNoing! I'm NaNoing!

Have you checked out the Historical board over at the NaNo website? There are a surprising number of us attempting a historical for NaNo. I'm Past_Midnight over there if you want to buddy me.

But I'm game for posting word count here too.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Is steampunk considered "historical fiction?"

Thee are people talking about steampunk in the historical fiction forum on the NaNo boards.

I am so hoping I can do Nano properly this year. I am going to start tomorrow morning though. I like the idea of having a NaNo thread on this forum since the NaNo forums are so slow, and I like to talk to historical fiction people about writing.

julie thorpe

Registered
Reaction score
I thought of doing Nano this year to try and work up the Regency romantic comedy I posted a bit of (the only bit) on the board for the October reversal challenge. But I'm going to Paris today for a few days so won't have time to write anything (too busy being a tourist). I'll see when I get back. . . best of luck to all who are embarking on Nano.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on 2,509, it's 7.30 am and I'm exhausted and seriously considering skipping classes today. Mine isn't historical though - I ended up doing the fantasy idea / rewrite thing (although it's all based on medieval history, mostly the Holy Roman Empire and a load of legal concepts from the time, like the duality of kingship). What I have so far is so lousy it practically needs de-loused.

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on 2,509, it's 7.30 am and I'm exhausted and seriously considering skipping classes today. Mine isn't historical though - I ended up doing the fantasy idea / rewrite thing (although it's all based on medieval history, mostly the Holy Roman Empire and a load of legal concepts from the time, like the duality of kingship). What I have so far is so lousy it practically needs de-loused.

Just keep going! You never know what it will turn into. Even if you end up cutting the first 2,200 words, what comes after that might be pure gold! And what you think of it in a few months (after it has been sitting quietly alone in a drawer all that time) will be totally different.

wee

(you didn't see me here)

ETA: I came to post this while waiting for the NaNo site to load so I could add Past_Midnight & update my word count ... still waiting for it to load! >>>>>>>>>

lkp

Registered
Reaction score

The duality of kingship?! Ernst Kantorowicz? Cool!

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
I buddied you today. wee32 on Nano.

Words: 2181

Last night I wasn't sleeping well & began to imagine several different scenes in my mind that became very vivid to me -- at fairly random points in the story. I'm seriously considering writing some of those scenes now while I have them playing like a movie in my mind. It might make a couple of characters more solid in my mind, how I want them to be later on in the story, and it does give you a plot goal of sorts. I'm a linear sort of person, so it is breaking down a wall in my brain to think, "write this scene which may take place more than 100 pages in the future...."

wee

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
The duality of kingship?! Ernst Kantorowicz? Cool!

That's the one, yeah! :D I'd originally bought the book for my history class, as we'd touched on medieval kingship last year, only to find that this year we're doing women in medieval europe instead, but then we've strayed into that territory in Legal History too now, in terms of the powers of the emperor, whether rulers are above the law and such. But my story involves a crisis over the succession of the country and so it turned out to be really useful for that too.

I'm rambling a bit, sorry. Didn't sleep last night as I was up doing NaNo.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
That's neat. I have an article under submission with an academic journal that suggests a revision to his thesis in chapter 3 on Christ-centred kingship, arguing that sometimes the two bodies of the king were divided between the king and the queen, with the king in charge of military affairs and the queen in charge of prayer/religion.

And to unhijack this thread, which I so rudely hijacked, I am going to say that I wrote 800 words today, yay, but then i got an e-mail from my agent suggesting more revisions on my finished ms. so I'm going to have to take a NaNo holiday, boo, but aso sort of yay too. I hope I can be disciplined enough to get back to my new novel later in the month, even if it is clear I won't break 50,000.

I would in theory buddy everyone but I can never get on the site. I'm Urraca Fernandez over there, if you want to buddy me. I'm working on a sort of sequel to my first book and it begins in post-Conquest Jerusalem in the early 1100s.

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
No fair! You're talking over my head now. :cry: It all sounds very cool, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Ernst Kantorowicz? Revising his thesis?

Oh, I am Queen Hijacker & do not care one bit. But you must let me read your stories when they are done so that I can learn something new & will not feel so stupid. :D

wee

ETA: early mornings are not bad for looking at the Nano site. I haven't attempted to read or post much of anything (who needs another distraction anyway? LOL) but I've decided I'll just update my word counts once per day (or once every few days) on NaNo, while I'm writing in the early morning. Both kids took a nap this afternoon :hooray: & I hit 2381. Hubby just had a work emergency & the kids are back in bed, so I have to get off here & steal another hour of writing!

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
That's neat. I have an article under submission with an academic journal that suggests a revision to his thesis in chapter 3 on Christ-centred kingship, arguing that sometimes the two bodies of the king were divided between the king and the queen, with the king in charge of military affairs and the queen in charge of prayer/religion.

And to unhijack this thread, which I so rudely hijacked, I am going to say that I wrote 800 words today, yay, but then i got an e-mail from my agent suggesting more revisions on my finished ms. so I'm going to have to take a NaNo holiday, boo, but aso sort of yay too. I hope I can be disciplined enough to get back to my new novel later in the month, even if it is clear I won't break 50,000.

I would in theory buddy everyone but I can never get on the site. I'm Urraca Fernandez over there, if you want to buddy me. I'm working on a sort of sequel to my first book and it begins in post-Conquest Jerusalem in the early 1100s.

Sorry, not meaning to continue the hijack, but I look forward to reading that article, sounds really intriguing.

Anyway, my NaNo is on hold for the moment. I just discovered I have an essay due on Monday on the impact of Viking raids on the Carolingian Empire. :eek: Which is fine, only I have to get my theory across in 1,500 words. I'm miffed, as I was really getting into NaNo too.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I absolutely amazed myself by getting 3,500 words yesterday. I was up at midnight yesterday and worked for about a hour and a half. Then I didn't write anything more until the kids were in bed, and then taking a break every hour. Even got to watch a TV show with my husband and was in bed by midnight!

I really didn't expect to really 'win' NaNo and was just in it for the motivation. But after yesterday, I'm beginning to think that maybe I can do this....

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
No fair! You're talking over my head now. :cry: It all sounds very cool, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Ernst Kantorowicz? Revising his thesis?

Oh, I am Queen Hijacker & do not care one bit. But you must let me read your stories when they are done so that I can learn something new & will not feel so stupid. :D

wee

ETA: early mornings are not bad for looking at the Nano site. I haven't attempted to read or post much of anything (who needs another distraction anyway? LOL) but I've decided I'll just update my word counts once per day (or once every few days) on NaNo, while I'm writing in the early morning. Both kids took a nap this afternoon :hooray: & I hit 2381. Hubby just had a work emergency & the kids are back in bed, so I have to get off here & steal another hour of writing!

I agree. The NaNo site is moving quite quickly right now.

And I don't know what they're talking about either. :tongue But they sound so smart, don't they? :)

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I thought of doing Nano this year to try and work up the Regency romantic comedy I posted a bit of (the only bit) on the board for the October reversal challenge. But I'm going to Paris today for a few days so won't have time to write anything (too busy being a tourist). I'll see when I get back. . . best of luck to all who are embarking on Nano.

Julie, hope you had a ton of fun in Paris! You could always do an unofficial NaNo (not expecting to win, but just playing along). I think your Regency romantic comedy would be just the thing for NaNo.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Well...you all have my best wishes and utmost respect.

No way I could even THINK of doing NaNoWriMo this year. Between work, a pregnant wife, and having friends and family in town every weekend of the month (not to mention Thanksgiving), I'm going to have a hard enough time getting to my WIP as is...

Oh well, maybe one of these days.

Seriously, though, best of luck to you all! We're rooting for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.