PDA

View Full Version : A writing Fellowship offered at Stanford University (The Stegner Fellowship)

Mr. Fix
10-31-2007, 10:19 PM
I have been thinking about applying for this fellowship and I am curious if anyone in AWland has heard of this program, has participated, or has an opinion to share.

They ask for a $50 "submission fee."

The money doen't worry me too much. Stanford has a GREAT creative writing program so I feel comfortable with this fee. (Although the Stegner Fellowship is not actually part of the University's accredited courses.)

I would like to hear from you if you have any insider info on this Fellowship.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/creativewriting/stegner.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegner_Fellowship

WriterGirl2007
10-31-2007, 11:59 PM
I've never heard of it before, but it's definitely intriguing. Granted, I don't know how far $26,000 a year would go in California... I would still expect that I would have to work and earn money in other ways (although having medical insurance paid is sweet). It sounds like it would be worth a shot!

Shadow_Ferret
11-01-2007, 12:35 AM
DO I have to give up my job to be a fellow? That's quite a pay cut to $26k.

And I can't attend workshops, I live in Wisconsin, unless they are offered online.

And I"m just curious, it doesn't lead to a degree? What good is it other than to say you were a Fellow at Stanford? I guess I don't get the point.

And only 5 in fiction? I'll bet there's an application waiting list of thousands.

Mr. Fix
11-01-2007, 12:41 AM
DO I have to give up my job to be a fellow? That's quite a pay cut to $26k.

And I can't attend workshops, I live in Wisconsin, unless they are offered online.

And I"m just curious, it doesn't lead to a degree? What good is it other than to say you were a Fellow at Stanford? I guess I don't get the point.

And only 5 in fiction? I'll bet there's an application waiting list of thousands.

I think the idea is 'writer creds' to advance yourself to publishers.
Better creds = better pay.

Besides, to be a true artist you have to suffer! I'd take the cut.
Only five are selected... as opposed to a slush pile?

J. R. Tomlin
11-01-2007, 05:43 AM
Lots of things add to writer creds, and this certainly would. I'll take a writer cred over a degree any time. But I write genre and I have a feeling they'd turn their noses up. Fair enough since I do the same over MFA stories. :D

Novelhistorian
11-01-2007, 06:16 AM
The money ain't much, it's true. I've spent a little time at Stanford doing research and came away startled by how expensive Palo Alto is. In fact, I wondered how the people who worked at the archives could afford it.

That said, I suspect that the return value, aside from whatever you'd learn on this fellowship, wouldn't be the writing credit as much as the contacts. Have the teachers published the kind of fiction you'd like to publish? Do they acknowledge particular agents or editors in their books, and are those people the ones whom you think would do well by you? If the answer is yes, that might change how you'd look at the experience.

Tish Davidson
11-01-2007, 08:33 AM
The money ain't much, it's true. I've spent a little time at Stanford doing research and came away startled by how expensive Palo Alto is. In fact, I wondered how the people who worked at the archives could afford it.

1. They don't live in Palo Alto and have a very long commute in heavy traffic.
2. They are married to someone who makes a good salary.
3. They have lived in Palo Alto for many years before Silicon Valley sent housing prices into orbit.
4. They rent and starve.