Literary agents

Jaime

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to all. I'm a writer from Spain and I write in spanish. I need information or know your opinions about this literary agents: Barbara Bauer literary agency; Canton Smith Agency (Chamein Canton and Eric Smith; I think he was in Dreyer & Helland); Thomas Colchie; Johanna Castillo; Leylha Ahuile; Susan Bergholtz; and Laura Deil.
I would like know who is better, who is most recommendable, and your experiences with they.
Any other literary agent in the USA that represent to writers in spanish?
Your can answer here or e-mail me directly to: [email protected]
Thank you very much for all and congratulations for this wonderful forum.
Jaime

Daughter of Faulkner

Always a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysite.verizon.net
Perhaps Victoria Strauss can help

Greetings from a snowy New England!
Below you can click and view Victoria's Writer Beware Website. She also is moderator of another link on this Board that may help answer your questions. Of course, you can "google" the agents as well.

All good wishes I send your way!
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.org
user_offline.gif

Jaime

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you

Hi Eileen. Really your information was very useful to me. I contacted Thomas Colchie and I'm waiting his answer.
I would need your opinions about Barbara Bauer literary agency. She charge $500 per year like fee. Is that normal? Is she a good agent? Tell me your experiences with Barbara Bauer.
I want also more information about Canton Smith Agency (Eric Smith and Chamein Canton). Are they recomendables?
Recommend me any literary agent that represent writers in spanish. Thank you very much for all.
¡Ah! excuse me my horrible english....but I'm only speak a little. :)

Jaime

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Jaime, you can go to this link and very easily look to see if (most) any agent you're interested in is recommended or not. This is a critical first step in researching agents:

http://pred-ed.com/pubagent.htm

For Barbara Bauer it says: Barbara Bauer Literary Agency: Charges fee. Not
recommended. Also a Top Twenty worst according to Writer Beware.

So stay far, far away from her.

If the company or person you're researching isn't listed, go to the Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check section here at AW and search the forum. For example, I didn't find Canton Smith on Preditors and Editors, but a search of the forum I listed gave me this thread:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11678&highlight=Canton+Smith+Agency

I read through the thread. I'd stay away from that agency too. Have you tried using AgentQuery.com to narrow down prospective agents?

Last edited:

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Jaime, buscas a alguien para representar tus obras allá, en España? Porque dudo que encuentres a alguien entre las agencias tradicionales en Nueva York porque casi todos los libros por aquí son o libros en ingles o libros traducidos desde ingles a español. Entonces, recomiendo que busques representación en Madrid, o quizas en Ciudad de México para los paises latinoamericanos.

En todo caso, Barbara Bauer no es agente verdadera y recomiendo que la evites.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
lol. another thread from 2005...

Deleted member 42

Hi Eileen. Really your information was very useful to me. I contacted Thomas Colchie and I'm waiting his answer.
I would need your opinions about Barbara Bauer literary agency. She charge $500 per year like fee. Is that normal? Is she a good agent? Tell me your experiences with Barbara Bauer.
I want also more information about Canton Smith Agency (Eric Smith and Chamein Canton). Are they recomendables?
Recommend me any literary agent that represent writers in spanish. Thank you very much for all.
¡Ah! excuse me my horrible english....but I'm only speak a little. :)

Jaime

It is not normal practice to charge clients.

My agents have never ever charged me a dime.

The agent is paid when you receive an advance from a publisher.

You do not pay publishers either; they pay you.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Oh, duh. And here I thought I was saving some guy from Spain from getting burned by a scam agent. Who keeps digging up these old bodies?

But you got to practice your Spanish, so it's not a total waste, right?

*looks for silver lining*

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
then I consider my intervention a blessing. thank you. I accept cash and all major credit cards.

I shall now shut up and resolve to check the flaming date next time. Sheesh!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Jaime, buscas a alguien para representar tus obras allá, en España? Porque dudo que encuentres a alguien entre las agencias tradicionales en Nueva York porque casi todos los libros por aquí son o libros en ingles o libros traducidos desde ingles a español. Entonces, recomiendo que busques representación en Madrid, o quizas en Ciudad de México para los paises latinoamericanos.

En todo caso, Barbara Bauer no es agente verdadera y recomiendo que la evites.
:Jaw: wow. you continue to impress me in every way. do you actually speak Spanish or was that a heavily worked translation???

Someone that just woke up from a coma
:ROFL:

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
do you actually speak Spanish or was that a heavily worked translation???

I do speak Spanish, but I'll be cautious about taking any more credit than that. Every time I start feeling good about my language abilities, some native speaker invariably jumps in to correct my usage of the subjunctive. :rolleyes:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
then I consider my intervention a blessing. thank you. I accept cash and all major credit cards.

I shall now shut up and resolve to check the flaming date next time. Sheesh!

Another Thread of the Living Dead.

Wow, two times in two days. How do you find these old threads?!

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
Another Thread of the Living Dead.

Wow, two times in two days. How do you find these old threads?!

It's a gift. And, they appear on the list of current and active posts. Weird.

So, new posts, is the haunt of zombies.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do speak Spanish, but I'll be cautious about taking any more credit than that. Every time I start feeling good about my language abilities, some native speaker invariably jumps in to correct my usage of the subjunctive. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I get that all the time when I try to speak English.