I'm curious. How long is a Short Story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrold peralta

How long does a short story suppose to be? Are there any rules to follow? What are short stories? Is the "Old man and the sea" a short story? and when you finish writing it where do you send it?
Sorry! I'm just curious. I don't know anything about writing. I'm new. By the way, My name is jerrold and I have written a story about gargoyles. It is about 15,000 words. Is my story a short story? If anyone interested in criticing my story. Let me know. I'll be glad to post it.

Jerrold Peralta

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
Jerrold,

Go ahead an post an excerpt in the Share Your Work forum. And, while you're waiting for responses, read through the threads that interest you. There's a ton of information here. I'm sure the length question has been addressed. Start looking and you'll find all kinds of information.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Length

jerrold peralta said:
How long does a short story suppose to be? Are there any rules to follow? What are short stories? Is the "Old man and the sea" a short story? and when you finish writing it where do you send it?
Sorry! I'm just curious. I don't know anything about writing. I'm new. By the way, My name is jerrold and I have written a story about gargoyles. It is about 15,000 words. Is my story a short story? If anyone interested in criticing my story. Let me know. I'll be glad to post it.

Jerrold Peralta

No, 15,000 words isn't a short story. It's a novelette, and a fairly long novelette, at that.

The basic lengths are:

Short short: under 2,000 words.
Short story: 2,000--7,500 words.
Novelette: 7,500--15,000 words (17,500 words in SF & Fantasy.)
Novella: 15,000--30,000 words. (17,500--40,000 words is Sf & fantasy.)
Novel: Anything over 30,000 words. (Anything over 40,000 words in Sf & fantasy.

These lengths have been standard for considerably more years than I've been alive, and there are good reasons for them. You don;t use the same techniques in a short story as in a novelette. Or you shouldn't. There come a point when short story techniques stop working, and you just adding too much detail, which will make the story boring.

Lengths and definitions aren't arbitrary, and there are standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.