How old is too old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

writingislife

Registered
Reaction score
Im discouraged, I guess. Im not one of those who has been writing since they knew how to old a pencil. I always loved creative writing classes in high school and then in college, but I didnt major in English Lit or some other English course. I didnt even FINISH college. Im a working stiff. I work two jobs just to make ends meet, yet I have this burning desire to write and to get published.

What make me think, at 42, that I can do this? What gives me the right to think that I can do it with NO experience in the writing game? Am I creative? Damn right, I am. I can draw, paint, and am a good photographer. But I have been doing these things all of my life. I havent been writing all of my life. Do you get what Im saying?

Most people here have been writing since they could say the word. THESE are the people who SHOULD be getting published and writing and making a living out of it. At 42, is it too late to get started?

Maybe Im asking a dumb question. It just seems like there is so much to learn and at 42, Ill be dead before I know it all. :) Im rambling, I know. Im just discouraged and full of self doubt right now.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm 46. I polished my first ms. and got an agent just this past summer.

You're NEVER too old.

Remember these profound words of wisdom from Galaxy Quest: Never give up! Never surrender!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not gonna confess my age, but I'm older than you and younger than that one - no one told ME there was an age limit in writing !

Besides, I fully expect some of my queries to still be out there awaiting response two weeks after I'm dead.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Im discouraged, I guess. Im not one of those who has been writing since they knew how to old a pencil. I always loved creative writing classes in high school and then in college, but I didnt major in English Lit or some other English course. I didnt even FINISH college. Im a working stiff. I work two jobs just to make ends meet, yet I have this burning desire to write and to get published.

What make me think, at 42, that I can do this? What gives me the right to think that I can do it with NO experience in the writing game? Am I creative? Damn right, I am. I can draw, paint, and am a good photographer. But I have been doing these things all of my life. I havent been writing all of my life. Do you get what Im saying?

Most people here have been writing since they could say the word. THESE are the people who SHOULD be getting published and writing and making a living out of it. At 42, is it too late to get started?

Maybe Im asking a dumb question. It just seems like there is so much to learn and at 42, Ill be dead before I know it all. :) Im rambling, I know. Im just discouraged and full of self doubt right now.

Don't be mad. Write. Write . Write. There is no too old and there is no too young. Eat the dishes. I'm 41...and I just started taking it seriously a couple years ago. Don't tell me I'm too old. Write away, my friend...and love what you do.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
You're only too old when you're dead. And you're going to die anyway, whether you write or not, so you may as well write, right?

Maybe it would help you to not feel so discouraged if you broke it down into reasonable goals. Instead of going straight for 'published and making a living', start smaller. Like finish a novel, or submit a short story (or ten).

Oh! I got something for you! Join us for NaNo. www.nanowrimo.org.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Do you want to write? Then do so.

That sounds quite Seussical...which is what this thread needs. Yes...by all means, do so. If you choose so..

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
As long as you're still enjoying it, you're never too old. Who was it that said when you stop learning, you're dead? (Or did I just make that up?) Anyway, it's true. If you enjoy doing it, and you enjoy improving your skills, go for it. There's plenty of young folk who have talent but no motivation. And oftentimes that belief that you've got it down is what hinders you the most. But it sounds like you have a healthy dose of self-doubt (a good remedy for pride), so keep writing!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
You are NEVER too old to do something new. Heck, Julia Child didn't learn how to cook until she was 37, and The Art of French Cooking didn't publish until she was 50. If you want to write, write! The best part of writing is that you don't need a degree or credentials. You just need to write a damn good story.

Good luck, and don't forget to have fun!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't start writing seriously until I was 39, and was 42 when my first book was published. And I know other people who got a much later start. Bonnie Shimko, for instance, whose debut novel was published when she was 60, and which won a Lambda Literary Award.

If you want to get published, worry about coming up with a great story and getting it across effectively and entertainingly to the reader. Your age is irrelevant.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Life sometimes gets in the way of your true passions and before you know it, your at an age where you wonder if it is too late to pursue those dreams. I understand how you feel, but you only get one chance at making this life a great one, so never look at age as an obstacle. It's your life, live it with as much joy as you can, because you wont get a 'do-over'.
;)

(Turkey - Majored in English and started writing ten years later!)

writingislife

Registered
Reaction score
DAMN! I just posted this and have THIS many responses within 5 minutes? Did I strike a nerve? LOL. I guess what Im saying is that I havent grown up writing, ya know? I JUST started thinking seriously that I CAN do this. Does my heart good, though, to see so many of you jump on this. It means that you are passionate about it.

Im not really shooting for published just yet...I guess I meant to say that I have a burning desire to WRITE...getting published is something that I want to do, of course, but writing is the way to get there...right? Im not trying to trick myself into believing that my first or my 10th novel sized work will be good enough to get published, but isnt that EVERYONE'S goal on here? To GET published?

Thanks for the encouragement, guys...oh, and I DID join NaNoWriMo! :D

MLindley

you're joking

At age 58 I self-published a memoir consisting of some 300 verbatim love letters written by my father to my mother during the second world war. This project included about 20k words of narration and commentary.

At age 63 I completed a 100k word novel and after 6 mos of queries received a request for a full from a highly repudable agent in July. (Waiting) Previous publishing successes were highlighted by "letters to the editor" in the daily newspaper.

Think of the experiences and perspective you have to offer.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Research the career of English novelist Mary Wesley. She didn't start writing until the death of her second husband

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm f..fi....fif....50! I'm 50! Happy?

I'm 50 and I'll stop writing the day the Earth crashes into the sun.

I think that's next week, but I'll write right up until that day.

By the way, you didn't hear it from me. That's supposed to be Top Secret.

And I never finished college and when I went to school, I didn't really pay attention. Schooling is overrated. As long as you understand basic grammar and have an imagination, those are the only two tools you need.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm f..fi....fif....50! I'm 50! Happy?

I'm 50 and I'll stop writing the day the Earth crashes into the sun.

I think that's next week, but I'll write right up until that day.

By the way, you didn't hear it from me. That's supposed to be Top Secret.

I always thought you were older, somehow. I mean, I can see right through you.

I hope you are hearing these responses. Please...enjoy writing. Now is your time.

writingislife

Registered
Reaction score
I didnt realize that so many DID start late. I think I read too many blogs and posts of people who say that they have been writing all of their lives. It's like, "who am I to think I can do this when Im just starting". Know what I mean? I am a very creative and talented person (did that just sound snobby?), and I have a LOT of confidence in my artistic ability...but they are second nature to me, I feel like. This writing thing takes a bit of work! I know that nothing worth doing is ever easy, but it sure makes it easier when you have been at it a while :).

writingislife

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you are hearing these responses. Please...enjoy writing. Now is your time.

Oh, KTC...Im hearing them. Im hearing them loud and clear and they are sinking in. I just felt like I was the only one who felt this way. Then I read responses by people like midnight muse, whose blog I adore because of her wit, saying that she is older than me. No way I would have ever thought she was more than 25 with her writing style.

It makes me wonder just how many on here ARE older (GOD, I just lumped myself in with the "old" crowd...Now I just FEEL old...lol).

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
don't worry...we all just outed ourselves to support you too. We can feel old together.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if it makes you feel any better, this very day in the mail I got my first official AARP card. I did not apply for this. I do not want it. (It will be framed, unused, on my work wall next to my insta-rejection slips and e-mail marriage proposals.) Clearly, databases all over the bleeping world know that I will turn 50 in two weeks. I look forward to more of same. Probably solicitations from mortuaries will be next. Screw 'em.

If you want to write, write. I'm late to this game because life got in the way over and over again, to my endless frustration. It is never, EVER too late, no matter how much junk you get in the mail or anywhere else telling you that it is. Better late than never. Write on.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I'm not old. I'll never be old. I'll be just as immature at 70 as I am at 40.

I have been writing all of my life. Badly. It wasn't until I had lived enough that I could translate that to paper, if you know what I mean. Don't underestimate your life experience.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Age is just a number. If you're writing is good, it will sell anywhere. :)

Go man, go!

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Had to toss in my two cents.

I never wrote a word until I was 38. No college, no writing experience, just that burning desire to write. I've published over 220 pieces of short fiction and nonfiction and six books.

My second cent - I heard of a local woman this past summer who published her first book at...83. It's called "Lunch at Tiffany's" and is the story of her and her friend, the two first female clerks at Tiffany's after WWII. The interesting part is, she attented our SDSU January conference here in San Diego. It's a great place to meet editors/agents and have your work read. This lovely lady spend big bucks to have an agent and an editor read her ms. The agent basically told her it was a POS, no one would want to read it - yuck, patoo. Needless to say, she was very discouraged but went on to have an appointment the editor - who loved the story and bought it.

So I have three words for you my friend, write, write, write.

Carlene

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my favorite novelists got started around 50.

Let me ask this, if you don't start writing now, how old will you be a year from now? If you do start writing now, how old will you be a year from now?

Status
Not open for further replies.