"Unoriginal sin" (Oscar Wilde and plagiarism)

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
OSCAR Wilde was the one of the Victorian era's greatest literary entertainers, and his popularity has proved so enduring that it thrives even in 2007. The Anglo-Irish poet, playwright and novelist was yesterday voted the UK's wittiest person of all time in a poll conducted by a digital TV channel, which just goes to show that television has not yet made philistines of us all (even though Jeremy Clarkson came in at No 4 on the list). We celebrate Oscar for his epigrammatic wit, his polished plays and, above all, his originality. The man who reputedly told New York customs officials that "I have nothing to declare but my genius" holds a place in the popular imagination as a one-off, a maverick visionary who arrived on the scene fully formed to thrill and scandalise in equal measure.

But the truth, it has been revealed, is rather different. Whatever Wilde's talents were, originality was not one of them. "Wilde is known for being this big, very original personality," says Dr Michèle Mendelssohn, a lecturer in English Literature at the University of Edinburgh. "But that personality came about by attaching himself to other people, being a sycophant and getting enough of these people until he could do his own thing. We allow Wilde the licence to be a plagiarist, but if any one of my students did this sort of thing - my God!"

http://living.scotsman.com/books.cfm?id=1648862007

interesting article—particularly wilde's apparent fixation on james and whistler.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"My God, James, I wish I'd said that!"
-- Oscar Wilde

"You will, Oscar, you will."
-- James Whistler

Really, though, my heart can't help but sink at reading this. Not even Wilde -- especially not Wilde -- ought to have license to plagiarise.

Good thing he hasn't posted here.

Last edited:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
He may or would have been hung out to dry in the Internet age for the plagiarism, but wouldn't suffer in jail for what he suffered for. In his time, hung out to dry for the one, and given a pass on the other, where the reverse would be the case today. Interesting reversal. Oscar, Oscar, Oscar.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Godammit. We are all patchworks of each other. When the exact words are stolen, that's a blasphemy I spit on merrily. But to assimilate and spit forth your own words rising from the thoughts of others...that's called life. Who doesn't find a new friend intriguing and lovely and suddenly finds themselves becoming like this friend...using this friend's thoughts as his own...thinking like the friend...saying something and finding themselves having that creepy all over feeling like they were just somebody else. Maybe, by God, he stood on the heads of his peers...but he put it to words. People spill their wise and other people gulp it up. We stand on each other's shoulders. We only learn by hearing. We formulate our own versions and mould ideas into our own cake pan and voila...we have a new cake. Wilde lived...that's how he got his ideas, that's how he wrote. He picked up the vibes of society of spit them into his work. If the big outside read his work and thought, 'My God, but that's utterly original and curiously interesting' Well those poor bastards weren't in the upper eschelon of drunken society in which Wilde surrounded himself. If his friends and peers were too dumn to scream to the masses, why the hell should he remain quiet. Ideas aren't words. Ideas are energy. Wilde put his energy into pretty words. Who gives a crapassed shit whose head he stood on to do it.

end of rant.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe, by God, he stood on the heads of his peers...but he put it to words. People spill their wise and other people gulp it up. We stand on each other's shoulders. We only learn by hearing. We formulate our own versions and mould ideas into our own cake pan and voila...we have a new cake. Wilde lived...that's how he got his ideas, that's how he wrote....

Heh, just kidding. :)
Actually I agree with KTC that we are an amalgamation of our experiences and each person we interact with is an experience. Be that as it may, paraphrasing without attribution is a dangerous line... I am not a Wilde afficianado (sp?) so that is more of a general statement, than in reference to his specific works.

sanssouci

Registered
Reaction score
"Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Wilde

"He makes this patchwork from other people's ideas and, at the end of the day, I think this patchwork is original: if you look at the individual squares, they're not original, but the big picture is." - Mendelssohn

This isn't a crime IMO. Almost all art does this in one form or another.

Anyone else get the feeling that Whistler may have been a bit jealous?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Er, it's not just standing on heads, according to the article.

"At times the plagiarism is word-for-word, but more often it's very heavy-handed paraphrasing passed off as his own," says Mendelssohn. "He can't bring himself to use quotation marks."

The allegation of literary theft is long-standing and one of which Wilde was fully aware. "Of course I plagiarise," he told Max Beerbohm, the writer and caricaturist. "It is the privilege of the appreciative man."

Of course we're all influenced by our experiences and our forebears. But that doesn't cover the entire argument here.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Um. Did I forget that damn little smiley thing at the end of my post again?

(-;

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that!

Does that mean one can love Oscar again, or does one still hate him?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I always loved Oscar. And I basically stand by what I said, even though I said it tongue in cheek. I dig the man...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
and not De La Renta.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Now now. Oscar de la Renta is a lovely guy. Oscar the Grouch also has his moments.

This doesn't change my love for Wilde as a character and social observer, but it does dent my trust as a reader. Which is one of the crummy little side effects of plagiarism, as we here know. Picking up quite a few dents lately.

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I always thought Oscar de la Renta smelled like cheap wine.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
That's Oscar the Grouch. I mean, really, the stuff in his trash can . . .

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh Christ...have I mixed up my Oscars again! I keep doing that.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
He is the non-cartoon Grouch Oscar...I thought that was a given?

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
And then there's the Academy Award Oscar, who never says much but has also been known to smell like cheap wine.

Notebook

Registered
Reaction score
"My God, James, I wish I'd said that!"
-- Oscar Wilde

"You will, Oscar, you will."
-- James Whistler

You can very easily substitute Ernie Hemingway's name for Oscar's in this little scene. (And James Joyce's instead of Whistler's.) He often took other people's experiences and quotes and wrote them as his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.