Status
Not open for further replies.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I just found out that someone's record of reputation shows a negative from me -- but I didn't give them one, at least not intentionally. I'm mortified! :Wha: I'm so glad the person asked me what was up. It's a person I would give positive points to, for sure!

Is there a way for me to see the distribution of reputation points I've given, so I can keep track of who I've reputed and so I can tell right away if I've made a mistake?

Is there a way for me or someone to correct the mistake that's already there???

-pkpk

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
This is why I don't like reputation points. If they were anonymous, they would encourage bad behavior. Since they are not anonymous, people get can send messages griping to each other about it.

I think it creates bad blood.

Paprika, don't be mortified. It's not a big deal. I got a negative from you, too, and it's no big deal.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Paprika, if you click on the scales icon, the default box that's checked is the positive one. You need only add your remark (if you wish) and then hit "send" (or whatever it says).

So you can atone for your boo-boos, or at least negate them, by doling out some positive points.

HConn puts up a brave front but I see that lower lip quivering....

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Now I'm twice as mortified! And that means there may be more. I *thought* that when I clicked the scales I just left the "Approve" default and clicked okay, or whatever it was, but I guess I didn't. I'm a compulsive postive-reinforcer. I've been handing out reputation points every time someone posts something I like. What if they've all gone backwards? Or even only half? Or even 10%? One's bad enough. Oh, woe. There's no smilie pathetic enough for me now.

-pkpk

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Paprik, if you find a way to doublecheck how you've distributed the rep points, please post it here, because that's something I've been wondering about and looking for myself. Not about the neg points, but sometimes I mean to reward someone and don't know if I have or not.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
PK

Not to worry! You didn't give out any negative rep points. I just checked. What DID happen, however, was this:

I had it set so that anyone who had never posted here could still give rep comments, but their "points" wouldn't count. If you received rep points from anyone who's never posted, it shows up as a grey dot instead of green. That does NOT mean they're negative points. Far as I can see, only one member has ever gotten a negative rep point.

PK: You gave about 5 rep points before you had posted, so they were just showing up as grey dots and people may have assumed they were negative when they weren't. Negative shows up as red, I think.

I changed the setting so even if you haven't posted, you can still give/take points, just to eliminate the confusion and possible hurt feelings.

HConn: I thought about that, too, but so far I think no one's abusing it and it's mostly being used for positive reinforcement.

Last edited:

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah-ha. That sounds like exactly what happened. When I first got here I was so happy to see names I recognized and so disoriented to be in a new space, I just wandered around with my virtual mouth opening and shutting silently, giving out rep points to all my ol' faves. Till it told me to cool it. I didn't know I was giving out somber grey dots.

Well. Thanks for the explanation, Jenna. That's comforting. Now I can change my signature line. At least until the next one. Stupid mistake, I mean.

:Sun:
-pkpk

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
LOL

I just want you to know that I just went through each and every one of the approximately 500 rep points that have been distributed so far to make sure there are no more grey dots to confuse people. :D

I was wrong, though, on my "stats." A few people have gotten negative points. Never unwarranted, though.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
Yay! I'm going to be disreputable!

thug.jpg

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't want this information to fall into the wrong hands....

I am wondering, now that repping-before-posting doesn't generate gray reputation dots, what does?

I mean, I have this, uh, friend, yeah, my friend has a gray dot now and she's wondering what that means. She's a silly friend who doesn't seem to realize that she should not bother her pretty little head about these things but should just get back to work for pity's sake. But, you know, she's just going to keep distracting me till I get this figured out. For her, I mean.

-pkpk

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi PK's friend. ;) I just looked at your rep points and they're all positive. PM me and let me know which one's showing up as gray. It shouldn't be.

rich

Jenna, as much as I don't understand the process, I'm equally fermished that it exists. What does it mean? Do we know, (and this is my own fault for not looking into it) who's registrering the negative points? I went from 12 to 9 and am now in a "who knows you?" category. If this continues I won't be here anymore.

Wow, talk about an out for AW!

rich

The way my little mind figures it so far, those who disagree with ones post gives a negative point. Those who agree give a positive point. If the negative posters don't wish to be identified, than any roach within these boards can fire away without reason. Is this so?

Hey, so far, I've given about 4 postive posts and no negatives. Should I rethink this game?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, when any user gives a positive or negative reputation point, their username is included in the entry the recipient sees in their User CP.

rich

Yep, CC. You're right. Still odd. Anytime you have a dispute with anybody the adversary can post negative points. (which is apparent with Parr--or under par--who shot two bogeys my way. She/he just freakin' got here! How'd they know the rools?

Freak the boy scout ****. From now on everybody gets a thumbs up from me.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
rich said:
The way my little mind figures it so far, those who disagree with ones post gives a negative point. Those who agree give a positive point.

Hmm, I didn't see it that way at all. Since we all disagree at some time or another that would be a nasty little game.

I see positive when something strikes you as very helpful, funny, or maybe just because it stood out above the rest in a positive way. If someone makes me laugh out loud, or makes me rethink something or strikes me as this is going to be very helpful to someone then I give a positive one. Maybe I am just stingy with them and that’s why I don’t have a lot myself. LOL

Negative, well, one person came close in something they said, I didn't agree with at all and it seemed a bit insulting. But after rereading it, I thought, well, it wasn't a personal attack on me or anyone else. I see negative as being reserved for the trolls, or those who consistently post bad info that a new writer may take as gospel.

Shawn

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's a "REPUTATION" point -- not "I agree/disagree" point. Treat it as such. If you think a person's post adds to the quality of the board -- humor, information, helpfulness, etc.-- even if you don't agree with what he/she said, you can still give him/her a positive rep point. Likewise, if you think someone's post is rude, disruptive or hurtful, you can give him/her a negative point. These are all subjective, of course, so don't take it too seriously. Don't abuse it either.

If you think someone is exceeding disruptive or deliberately gives out wrong information, etc. you can always use the "Report" icon to report the post to the Mods.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shawn's got the right idea, and Maestro has clarified it well. I too like to think of how a person is contributing to the board and hand out rep points accordingly. A wickedly funny joke that gets all the participants in a thread laughing, or an insight that turns the lightbulb on over your head, are the kinds of things a positive rep point can be awarded for.

A negative should be handed out carefully, for truly bad behaviour a-la trolls and the like, or for a poster being overly rude or cruel to another member of the Cooler, things that really go against what this place is supposed to be about.

rich

Guess I'll have to try to be wickedly funny, and insightful to boot--you guys gave me a hard row to hoe. Did I ever mention that I'm cute for an old man?

Status
Not open for further replies.