PDA

View Full Version : Oh No!!

paprikapink
02-20-2005, 11:23 PM
I just found out that someone's record of reputation shows a negative from me -- but I didn't give them one, at least not intentionally. I'm mortified! :Wha: I'm so glad the person asked me what was up. It's a person I would give positive points to, for sure!

Is there a way for me to see the distribution of reputation points I've given, so I can keep track of who I've reputed and so I can tell right away if I've made a mistake?

Is there a way for me or someone to correct the mistake that's already there???

-pkpk

HConn
02-20-2005, 11:51 PM
This is why I don't like reputation points. If they were anonymous, they would encourage bad behavior. Since they are not anonymous, people get can send messages griping to each other about it.

I think it creates bad blood.

Paprika, don't be mortified. It's not a big deal. I got a negative from you, too, and it's no big deal.

aka eraser
02-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Paprika, if you click on the scales icon, the default box that's checked is the positive one. You need only add your remark (if you wish) and then hit "send" (or whatever it says).

So you can atone for your boo-boos, or at least negate them, by doling out some positive points.

HConn puts up a brave front but I see that lower lip quivering....

maestrowork
02-21-2005, 12:07 AM
If there's a mistake, you can ask the Admin to correct it.

paprikapink
02-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Now I'm twice as mortified! And that means there may be more. I *thought* that when I clicked the scales I just left the "Approve" default and clicked okay, or whatever it was, but I guess I didn't. I'm a compulsive postive-reinforcer. I've been handing out reputation points every time someone posts something I like. What if they've all gone backwards? Or even only half? Or even 10%? One's bad enough. Oh, woe. There's no smilie pathetic enough for me now.

-pkpk

Birol
02-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Paprik, if you find a way to doublecheck how you've distributed the rep points, please post it here, because that's something I've been wondering about and looking for myself. Not about the neg points, but sometimes I mean to reward someone and don't know if I have or not.

JennaGlatzer
02-21-2005, 01:36 AM
Not to worry! You didn't give out any negative rep points. I just checked. What DID happen, however, was this:

I had it set so that anyone who had never posted here could still give rep comments, but their "points" wouldn't count. If you received rep points from anyone who's never posted, it shows up as a grey dot instead of green. That does NOT mean they're negative points. Far as I can see, only one member has ever gotten a negative rep point.

PK: You gave about 5 rep points before you had posted, so they were just showing up as grey dots and people may have assumed they were negative when they weren't. Negative shows up as red, I think.

I changed the setting so even if you haven't posted, you can still give/take points, just to eliminate the confusion and possible hurt feelings.

HConn: I thought about that, too, but so far I think no one's abusing it and it's mostly being used for positive reinforcement.

paprikapink
02-21-2005, 01:47 AM
Ah-ha. That sounds like exactly what happened. When I first got here I was so happy to see names I recognized and so disoriented to be in a new space, I just wandered around with my virtual mouth opening and shutting silently, giving out rep points to all my ol' faves. Till it told me to cool it. I didn't know I was giving out somber grey dots.

Well. Thanks for the explanation, Jenna. That's comforting. Now I can change my signature line. At least until the next one. Stupid mistake, I mean.

:Sun:
-pkpk

JennaGlatzer
02-21-2005, 02:08 AM
I just want you to know that I just went through each and every one of the approximately 500 rep points that have been distributed so far to make sure there are no more grey dots to confuse people. :D

I was wrong, though, on my "stats." A few people have gotten negative points. Never unwarranted, though.

HConn
02-21-2005, 02:38 AM
I don't have a negative?

Now I'm a little disappointed....

maestrowork
02-21-2005, 02:40 AM
OK, HConn, just for you I shall grant you a negative rating...

;)

HConn
02-21-2005, 04:19 AM
Yay! I'm going to be disreputable!

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7Ejim.fricker/thug.jpg

paprikapink
02-21-2005, 04:54 AM
Wow.

Are you wearing mascara?

-pkpk

paprikapink
02-28-2005, 11:55 PM
I am wondering, now that repping-before-posting doesn't generate gray reputation dots, what does?

I mean, I have this, uh, friend, yeah, my friend has a gray dot now and she's wondering what that means. She's a silly friend who doesn't seem to realize that she should not bother her pretty little head about these things but should just get back to work for pity's sake. But, you know, she's just going to keep distracting me till I get this figured out. For her, I mean.

-pkpk

JennaGlatzer
03-01-2005, 01:31 AM
Hi PK's friend. ;) I just looked at your rep points and they're all positive. PM me and let me know which one's showing up as gray. It shouldn't be.

rich
03-01-2005, 02:15 AM
Jenna, as much as I don't understand the process, I'm equally fermished that it exists. What does it mean? Do we know, (and this is my own fault for not looking into it) who's registrering the negative points? I went from 12 to 9 and am now in a "who knows you?" category. If this continues I won't be here anymore.

Wow, talk about an out for AW!

triceretops
03-01-2005, 02:34 AM
My gosh. Rich, you're fading away on us. Nine is below the minimum. I'll put you back on the distinguished road. Check your CP.

Triceratops

rich
03-01-2005, 02:36 AM
The way my little mind figures it so far, those who disagree with ones post gives a negative point. Those who agree give a positive point. If the negative posters don't wish to be identified, than any roach within these boards can fire away without reason. Is this so?

Hey, so far, I've given about 4 postive posts and no negatives. Should I rethink this game?

ChunkyC
03-01-2005, 03:18 AM
To the best of my knowledge, when any user gives a positive or negative reputation point, their username is included in the entry the recipient sees in their User CP.

rich
03-01-2005, 03:46 AM
Yep, CC. You're right. Still odd. Anytime you have a dispute with anybody the adversary can post negative points. (which is apparent with Parr--or under par--who shot two bogeys my way. She/he just freakin' got here! How'd they know the rools?

Freak the boy scout ****. From now on everybody gets a thumbs up from me.

SRHowen
03-01-2005, 05:41 PM
The way my little mind figures it so far, those who disagree with ones post gives a negative point. Those who agree give a positive point.

Hmm, I didn't see it that way at all. Since we all disagree at some time or another that would be a nasty little game.

I see positive when something strikes you as very helpful, funny, or maybe just because it stood out above the rest in a positive way. If someone makes me laugh out loud, or makes me rethink something or strikes me as this is going to be very helpful to someone then I give a positive one. Maybe I am just stingy with them and thatís why I donít have a lot myself. LOL

Negative, well, one person came close in something they said, I didn't agree with at all and it seemed a bit insulting. But after rereading it, I thought, well, it wasn't a personal attack on me or anyone else. I see negative as being reserved for the trolls, or those who consistently post bad info that a new writer may take as gospel.

Shawn

maestrowork
03-01-2005, 07:47 PM
It's a "REPUTATION" point -- not "I agree/disagree" point. Treat it as such. If you think a person's post adds to the quality of the board -- humor, information, helpfulness, etc.-- even if you don't agree with what he/she said, you can still give him/her a positive rep point. Likewise, if you think someone's post is rude, disruptive or hurtful, you can give him/her a negative point. These are all subjective, of course, so don't take it too seriously. Don't abuse it either.

If you think someone is exceeding disruptive or deliberately gives out wrong information, etc. you can always use the "Report" icon to report the post to the Mods.

ChunkyC
03-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Shawn's got the right idea, and Maestro has clarified it well. I too like to think of how a person is contributing to the board and hand out rep points accordingly. A wickedly funny joke that gets all the participants in a thread laughing, or an insight that turns the lightbulb on over your head, are the kinds of things a positive rep point can be awarded for.

A negative should be handed out carefully, for truly bad behaviour a-la trolls and the like, or for a poster being overly rude or cruel to another member of the Cooler, things that really go against what this place is supposed to be about.

rich
03-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Guess I'll have to try to be wickedly funny, and insightful to boot--you guys gave me a hard row to hoe. Did I ever mention that I'm cute for an old man?

maestrowork
03-03-2005, 12:55 AM
And I'm old for a cute man.

rich
03-03-2005, 01:51 AM
How do I edit that box where it says ............ has no public affiliations--or something like that?

triceretops
03-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Permit me to add a tad on this. Being the hasty fellow that I am at times, I find is very satisfying to get a FAST reply to a difficult question. I might be stuck in a mental "vapor lock" on an issue, or right in the middle of my script grappling over a grammar issue, or need moral support from a just arrived rejection slip, or any manner of other follies. I view AW as a hospital of sorts--there are kindly doctors who arrive on the scene with instant meds or bandaids (these people intinctively smell fear or trouble or inquiries on the board and arrive via EV in a hurry) Those persons (my personals, yes, I'll name names) are:

Mac
Chunky
Eraser (Frank)
Maestro
Betty

There are more, but these people are fast on the draw with dead-on and sound advice, always.

Reph and Preyer are great "Idea people" with limitless imaginations.

Nate is a board cheerleader and starts up the damndest threads I've seen, but he's positive and inquisitive, and can keep the most mudane thread going on into the "high gold star replies."

I think we all have our reasons for favorite rep people. Anyone who does a lot of research on my account (without being asked) and runs attachments, referals and longish replies, usaully raises my eyebrow and makes me feel indebted in someway.

As far as negatives, I'll never send one out, since I'll likely be beaten to the punch with a more volatile temper. I'm too slow to anger. I might go after someone real quick if they were spreading hate crimes against race, religion or creed. But never hit the "triangle of death" just to disagree or get a reaction from sadistic glee.

Triceratops

P.S. Zaz can shut the whole community down with just one precisely delivered barb, at just the right moment! Impecable comedy timing.

MacAllister
03-03-2005, 02:56 AM
gosh....thanks, Tri! :o What a nice thing to say.

maestrowork
03-03-2005, 03:30 AM
[Little does Tri know, those people are part of a plan set out to rule the universe... one unsuspecting earthling at a time]

Gee, I'm honored to be mentioned with these great people I hardly know. :o

triceretops
03-03-2005, 03:40 AM
S'all right, Maestro. It was your universe before I ever got here. What did crew member 6 in Galaxy Quest say to the real stars?

"Shssh...I'm just glad to be in the show." (grins sheepishly)

Tri

maestrowork
03-03-2005, 03:43 AM
No, I think it was "guy #6, died in episode #267."

triceretops
03-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Episode 41, to be precise. Now where is that VHS tape?!

Tri

maestrowork
03-03-2005, 03:51 AM
By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged.

Never give up, never surrender.

What a great movie.

reph
03-03-2005, 03:55 AM
Golly gee whiz, Tri, it was nice of you to mention some of us helpers.

[Weeping] I'd also like to thank the Academy . . .

Betty W01
03-03-2005, 04:04 AM
(I knew I should have worked on that acceptance speech earlier...)
:thankyou: I'd like to thank all the little people out there who put me where I am.

Oh, wait, where am I?

Never mind... :gone:

aka eraser
03-03-2005, 04:43 AM
Thanks Tri!

Did those other guys all give you 5 bucks too?

MacAllister
03-03-2005, 04:45 AM
Frank, he charged me ten...

You only hadda give him FIVE?

maestrowork
03-03-2005, 05:09 AM
I gave him a hundred. Now I feel like a schmuck.

(no, Betty, not a word from you...)

Betty W01
03-03-2005, 05:13 AM
:Ssh: Hmmmph mhphh mph mphmmmp!

triceretops
03-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Well, I run away for three hours and come back to see that I've been busted!

A few of you are on the easy payment plan but I've decided to jack the interest up. You're gonna scare the newbies away if you reveal my dollar amounts.

Pandering and Personal Advertisement (for display) don't come cheap guys and dolls (as he shifts his fanny on a stack of cash).

Well, gotta go. There's a little obscure room deep in AW's guts where fresh meat is willing to cough up five bucks per rep point. I've already sacked a few.
And you'll never find the thread...bwahhhahahahhaah.

Tri

Moondancer
03-03-2005, 06:47 PM
As far as negatives, I'll never send one out, since I'll likely be beaten to the punch with a more volatile temper. I'm too slow to anger. I might go after someone real quick if they were spreading hate crimes against race, religion or creed. But never hit the "triangle of death" just to disagree or get a reaction from sadistic glee.

I have seldom seen anything worth a negative even if I were quick to hit the button.

paprikapink
03-03-2005, 10:27 PM
I've posted elsewhere, in fact, was it at the beginning of this thread, that I'm a compulsive positive-reinforcer. I love being able to acknowledge the wonderful things folks do for each other around here. Although the term "rep points" is a little suspect, I still value the function. You don't always want to add another "Gee Thanks!" post to a thread...or sometimes you want to do both.

BUT. The only rule on this board, that I've ever seen, is respect each other. If someone is calling names to a poster they disagree with or personally attacking someone, I'm glad to have the option of letting them know that their approach is not furthering their argument, without cluttering up the thread with a lot of bickering about who's calling who names and who deserved it and blah blah blah.

I didn't expect to ever have to put my theoretical philosphy about negative rep points into effect, but it turns out, I have. I wasn't angry, or vengeful, and I didn't even disagree with the poster's point. I didn't appreciate that they'd lowered the level of discourse and I responded to that.

But that's just me.

-paprikapink

reph
03-03-2005, 11:44 PM
I've seen posts I thought deserved negative points. I didn't give any, because the recipients could so easily bite me back with subtractions of their own. A fair-minded person wouldn't retaliate that way, but fair-minded people wouldn't have put up those posts.

ZaZ
03-03-2005, 11:54 PM
I've got one that deserves a negative but I just don't feel like finding the precise phrase to properly belittle those who add their post counts from the old board to their signature.

Bwa-hah!

reph
03-04-2005, 06:04 AM
Well, ZaZ, I'll say in my own defense that I felt uprooted when the crowd thinned out at the ObsoleteWrite board and I had to toddle over here with thumb in mouth and one corner of blankie trailing on ground. I wanted to bring something with me.

Moondancer
03-04-2005, 07:14 AM
renee, although i wasn't much beyond newbie on the old board, i know how you feel. I always feel the same way when i first join a board. one good thing about re-registering here is i could thin out the number of Stephanies in the member section by using a screen name instead. when i first joined the other one, i had no idea how many there were around.

Rose
03-09-2005, 02:08 AM
Paprik, if you find a way to doublecheck how you've distributed the rep points, please post it here, because that's something I've been wondering about and looking for myself. Not about the neg points, but sometimes I mean to reward someone and don't know if I have or not.

Has anyone figured out how to see a list of the people you have distributed rep points to?

Lisa Y
03-09-2005, 03:57 AM
Sorry if this has been asked/answered already but why do some people have 1 green square and others have 2? Is this due to how many rep points they get?

triceretops
03-09-2005, 05:05 AM
possibly the green squares come in blocks of 100 for each square. The rep points graduate up scale that have different names, so they change over time as you accumulate the points. You might have to keep a hard list of who you've awarded points to because I haven't found a way to keep track.

Tri

Rose
03-09-2005, 05:19 AM
You might have to keep a hard list of who you've awarded points to because I haven't found a way to keep track.

Tri
Horrors!

ChunkyC
03-10-2005, 05:23 AM
possibly the green squares come in blocks of 100 for each square.
You are correct, sir. (and thank you for the kind words upstream, much appreciated)

As soon as a person gets to 100 rep points, a second square shows up. Plus, the number of points you give out each time is increased by 1. So, the squares actually tell you how many points you would get from that person were they so inclined as to bestow them upon one of your posts.

Name changes (spectacular aura, shiny shiny jewel) occur as you reach other totals.... 50, 75, 125 and so on.

SRHowen
03-10-2005, 05:32 AM
100--eeekkkk

Jeeze, that's a lot.

Shawn

ZaZ
03-10-2005, 07:31 AM
I've since received two negative points and I want to personally thank those people who will remain anonymous. If I can't take a step back every now and then, I'm bound to rack up a lot of "You're the man!" points.

Reph, I couldn't help it.

reph
03-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Reph, I couldn't help it.
Huh? Couldn't help what? I didn't give you any negative points.

ZaZ
03-10-2005, 10:12 PM
The hack on the signature post numbers.
Really. I could have kept it to myself and you weren't the only one doing it. I've seen others.
Anyway...

reph
03-11-2005, 03:50 AM
ZaZ, I have to assume you're teasing me about something, only I don't know what it is. If you suspect me of hacking, you have a way higher estimate of my so-called computer skills than I do.

Still baffled.

~R.

ZaZ
03-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Nope. None of that.
But I say we remain in a state of baffle for no reason.

Kate StAmour
03-11-2005, 07:38 AM
I've posted elsewhere, in fact, was it at the beginning of this thread, that I'm a compulsive positive-reinforcer. I love being able to acknowledge the wonderful things folks do for each other around here. Although the term "rep points" is a little suspect, I still value the function. You don't always want to add another "Gee Thanks!" post to a thread...or sometimes you want to do both.

Yep, I'm with you. We should hang. I am a compulsive positive-reinforcer, too. Do we need a logo?

paprikapink
03-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Excellent plan, Kate. BTW, you have a very cool name.

Speaking of logos, would anyone like to know how long I thought that those "scales" over there to the left were some sort of mushroom? Also, anyone know why Zaz's signature now says "Inwardly Quite, Outwardly Humongous"? How inscrutable is that.

Also, anyone seen my glasses?

-pkpk

Kate StAmour
03-12-2005, 01:28 AM
Excellent plan, Kate. BTW, you have a very cool name.

Thanks! Contrary to the very public (very WRONG) statements from a few misguided individuals, it actually is my name. (Special thanks going out to the Canadian who shared his name with me.)

"Speaking of logos, would anyone like to know how long I thought that those "scales" over there to the left were some sort of mushroom?"

Yeah, these poor tired eyes of mine actually thought it was a mushroom too.

Oh, earlier today a little message popped up telling me I can't give anymore rep points today (I've been spreading the positive reinforcement around a bit too much in the past 24 hours) and I thought perhaps we needed to make our logo look like that little blurby thing. LOL.

Kate

MacAllister
03-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Okay--you guys and gals have me compulsively handing out rep points, trying to get the same message as Kate...Heh.

It won't let me give 'em to the same person without the appropriate intervening number of points. I'm nearly reduced to trolling for total strangers (who don't seem too objectionable) to give 'em to.

I'm supposed to be driving, right now.

Kate StAmour
03-12-2005, 01:49 AM
I'm supposed to be driving, right now.

Doesn't it feel good to spread the love, though? I'm supposed to be packing for a move to another state that is happening in less than 2 weeks. Oh, and I have a couple of reviews to right. Yep, I'm procrastinating.

btw, :thankyou:

Kate

awatkins
03-12-2005, 03:42 AM
"Speaking of logos, would anyone like to know how long I thought that those "scales" over there to the left were some sort of mushroom?"

Yeah, these poor tired eyes of mine actually thought it was a mushroom too.
Kate

I thought they looked like little tiny Hershey's Kisses. :D

jdkiggins
03-17-2005, 09:08 AM
compulsive positive-reinforcer Do we need a logo?

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif I think you have a logo--CPR
Joanne

paprikapink
03-17-2005, 09:50 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif I think you have a logo--CPR
Joanne

But of course! :Smack:

:ROFL:

-pkpk

Kate StAmour
03-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Joanne

CPR, I love it!

Kate