Anyone ever been to a Key Party?

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing a little research for a story I've got cooking. I'm fascinated with the 70's and what it was like to be an adult back then. I was born in 1970, so I missed out on most of the fun stuff like Key Parties. Anyone ever been to one?

PS I watched The Ice Storm which had one.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was an adult then and never attended a key party. Silly me, I wanted some say on who I'd bop that night, you know?

I'm not at all sure they're not very nearly the stuff of urban myth. Of course, I was a hippie chick then, and maybe key parties were more the purview of uptight suburbanites who felt tied down and envied our sexual freedom.

Sorry I can't help you. Ice Storm's a decent movie, as I recall.

Maryn, still sort of a hippie chick

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I have the parties romanticized in my mind. I envision lots of candles, alcohol, pot, music and hot guys in bell-bottoms. But what happens if you get stuck with someone that's not cute or you don't like? And how do you get home in the morning? And what if your husband has the keys? How do you get in the house? There's a lot to think about here.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Do a google search for 'swingers', Dusty. You'll find a lot of information.

Um...not that I've ever googled...oh, shut up!

*runs from thread*

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
My only knowledge of key parties is from that SNL skit.

"And I'm CAARROLLL" lol

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
My only knowledge of key parties is from that SNL skit.

"And I'm CAARROLLL" lol
When I Googled key parties, I found that SNL (Lorne Michaels) is making a movie called Key Party.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I saw the title of the thread and thought, "No, she couldn't possibly mean that, could she?"
But of course... you did. lol. I have nothing useful to add. Not my era, and not my scene, lol.

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I have the parties romanticized in my mind. I envision lots of candles, alcohol, pot, music and hot guys in bell-bottoms.
Mmm. Yeah. And AIDS virus spreading like wildfire. How romantic.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
There's one in Ordinary People, isn't there?

and AIDS wasn't a worry in the seventies.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
I am the 70's and, though I consider myself worldly enough, just googled to find out what exactly this was. Eeew! Can't say I'm missing missing-out, though a lot of good horror might have been the result. On the other hand, I can easily imagine....

Kerr
the dark one

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have the parties romanticized in my mind. I envision lots of candles, alcohol, pot, music and hot guys in bell-bottoms.

Yeah - and what do keys have to do with anything?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - and what do keys have to do with anything?

If you're serious, from what I recall, a bunch of couples put their car keys in a bowl and blindfolded or at least without looking, they put their hand in the bowl and choose a set of car keys. Then he or she looks to see whose keys he or she picked and has to go home with them, something like that.

Last edited:

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
And if you got some fatnasty old goob, well, better luck next time.
:D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If you're serious, from what I recall, a bunch of couples put their car keys in a bowl and blindfolded or at least without looking, they put their hand in the bowl and choose a set of car keys. Then he or she looks to see whose keys he or she picked and has to go have sex with that person in one of the bedrooms or go home with them, something like that.
Really? People actually do that? Huh. I wonder if you can just keep the car instead and forget the "date."

The thread title did remind me of some memorable parties I've attended throughout the Florida Keys. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If you're serious, from what I recall, a bunch of couples put their car keys in a bowl and blindfolded or at least without looking, they put their hand in the bowl and choose a set of car keys. Then he or she looks to see whose keys he or she picked and has to go have sex with that person in one of the bedrooms or go home with them, something like that.

Speaking from experience? Now what if the person, whose keys you picked, was of the same sex? I guess I missed all that stuff plus spin the bottle, etc. I was deprived. Of course, I was just a baby.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
There's an absolutely hilarious episode of That Seventies Show where Red & Kitty go to a key party. Neither of them, of course, knows what it is until they get there. Much mirth ensues.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, it's always couples, and the guy's keys go into the bowl. The women draw keys.

Not that I've ever done that. Ew.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I saw that episode of CSI, I think. I was thoroughly creeped out afterwards.