Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
So my husband's company has just announced that they're relocating to Novato in April. This means that no matter where my hubby decides to work, we will be moving OUT OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! Hooray!!!

He'll be considering a few different companies, but... all things being equal, what's the best place to live? Our choices are: Novato (obviously), Seattle, Austin, and Baltimore.

kalel32

Registered
Reaction score
Baltimore has the best crab cakes, but it has been know to be unclean.

I'd go to Novato.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, you'll be in good company there. Some of the coolest AWers live in the Pacific Northwest. Just be prepared to do a lot of stuff in the rain that you'd never thought you'd do. Like, washing your car. :)

Last edited:

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm...Baltimore is both good and bad. Crappy crime rate, great food, nice waterfront area. PLUS you could be close to MEEEEEEE as I am moving back to Washington, DC. On Monday.
Honestly though, the East Coast is very different than the West Coast, so be prepared.
So...Seattle for the West Coast, Baltimore for the East Coast...and I say nix to the rest.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
If you go to Austin, you can hang with Haskins.

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
Novato. I grew up very near there. Nice area, very earthy, fantastic scenery, great organic mentality if that makes sense... expensive though.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I've only traveled the east coast but have heard so many good things about Washington state and how beautiful it is. Am I wrong (chime in here, Turkey Lurkey) but it seems the rain there doesn't bother people. I mean, if TL washes the car in the rain.... :)
I've lived on both coasts and in between. I agree Washington State is one of the most beautiful places and the weather didn't bother me at all.

But I was further out in the Sound and I think the weather patterns might have been a little different - but I'm not sure. Someone more familiar with the area might know the answer to that.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I've only traveled the east coast but have heard so many good things about Washington state and how beautiful it is. Am I wrong (chime in here, Turkey Lurkey) but it seems the rain there doesn't bother people. I mean, if TL washes the car in the rain.... :)

Jumping in...
It is beautiful, you have lush green forests along the coast, orchards inland, lots of camping, hiking, and the rain is difficult for the first couple of years, but then you learn to live with it. I still like to listen to it at night, and the smell of wet earth never gets old. Some can get depressed by the lack of sunlight, but the seasons are beautiful, and to me, worth it. BTW, you only get 8 hours of sunlight in December, it was a little hard for me to get past the sun setting at 4:30. But like I said, the environment is so green and purdy!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I miss the East Coast...but of those choices, I'd probably pick Novato. Never been to Seattle, though (well, technically I haven't been to Novato, either, but I have been to Marin County).

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
...and the rain is difficult for the first couple of years, but then you learn to live with it. I still like to listen to it at night, and the smell of wet earth never gets old.
Mind you, with a user name like "stormie," rain wouldn't bother me a bit!
5.gif

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
When I first saw the Orlando option, I thought you meant the one in Florida. I was all ready to warn you against such a move, and then realized you meant that Bloom fellow. Even as a last resort, he's a much better fantasy than the one which actually arose from a steamy swamp to decimate hundreds of square miles of virgin landscape and wiped out countless variations of wildlife so that folks with more money than sense can now pay tribute to cartoon characters at Disney World.

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously, I'd go to Orlando Bloom...but since that's not REALLY one of your options (it's not is it? Because if it is, I'd like to visit you! :) ) I'd go with Seattle. I like it there. I happen to like rain.

Of course, I have no clue where Novato is...

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
We moved from Portland, OR eight years ago to Wash. DC. and have been trying to get back to the west coast every day since. Not that DC isn't great but once a webfoot - always a webfoot.