One Syllable Re-write

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Take a couple sentences, or paragraph from your favorite book or writer and then re-write it using only words of one syllable. Proper nouns can have several syllables but that is the only exception. Also note where the original work is from. This was from a writing exercise I had.

Here is mine from THE WHISPERERS by Robert Nicolson.

This morning, her feet being wet, Mrs. Ross re-stricted her choice to the journals nearest to the hot-water pipes. But it didn't matter: she read anything, abstracting from any mass of material something, no matter how little - a name, a misconceptions, perhaps no more than a word - for service in some later fantasy. Once indeed, fascinated by what the characters suggested, she spent a whole forenoon turning over the pages of a thick quarterly printered entirely in Greek.

My rewrite:
Wet feet kept Mrs. Ross to choose from the books near the pipes. It did not have to be a great work she would read most things. After a read, she would start a dream with a word, or phrase from an item she read. Once she took on the soul of an idol she read of and spent the morn in the deep of a Greek brief.

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Oops: Once she took on the soul of a idol ;)

Sam yelled and brandished Sting, but his little voice was drowned in the tumult. No one heeded him.

The great doors slammed to. Boom. The bars of iron fell into place inside. Clang. The gate was shut. Sam hurled himself against the bolted brazen plates and fell senseless to the ground. He was out in the darkness. Frodo was alive but taken by the enemy. --J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

Sam yelled and waved Sting high in the air, but his slight voice was drowned in the din. No one paid heed.

The great doors slammed to. Boom. The bars of steel locked in place on the far side of the door. Clang. The gate was shut. Sam leapt for the closed bronze plates and fell, knocked out, to the ground. He was out in the dark. Frodo still lived but was now in the hands of the foe.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Oops: Once she took on the soul of a idol ;)

Sam yelled and brandished Sting, but his little voice was drowned in the tumult. No one heeded him.

The great doors slammed to. Boom. The bars of iron fell into place inside. Clang. The gate was shut. Sam hurled himself against the bolted brazen plates and fell senseless to the ground. He was out in the darkness. Frodo was alive but taken by the enemy. --J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

Sam yelled and waved Sting high in the air, but his slight voice was drowned in the din. No one paid heed.

The great doors slammed to. Boom. The bars of steel locked in place on the far side of the door. Clang. The gate was shut. Sam leapt for the closed bronze plates and fell, knocked out, to the ground. He was out in the dark. Frodo still lived but was now in the hands of the foe.

Thanks for pointing out the ooops.
You need to use only one syllable for ALL words except proper nouns..

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the first paragraph of Oliver Twist:

Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictitious name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse; and in this workhouse was born; on a day and date which I need not trouble myself to repeat, inasmuch s it can be of no possible consequence to the reader, in this stage of the business at all events,; the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.

My version:

This town, like most big or small towns, old or new, has a place where poor kids are sent to work. I won't give this town a real or a fake name here. But in this place for poor kids, on a day and date I won't go out of my way to name, since it won't help you right now, a child was born. You'll find his name at the top.

:D

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out the ooops.
You need to use only one syllable for ALL words except proper nouns..
Right, I got that. But why did you bold the words in my excerpt? All are one syllable.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the first paragraph of Oliver Twist:

Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictitious name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse; and in this workhouse was born; on a day and date which I need not trouble myself to repeat, inasmuch s it can be of no possible consequence to the reader, in this stage of the business at all events,; the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.

My version:

This town, like most big or small towns, old or new, has a place where poor kids are sent to work. I won't give this town a real or a fake name here. But in this place for poor kids, on a day and date I won't go out of my way to name, since it won't help you right now, a child was born. You'll find his name at the top.

:D

very good. when I first heard of this exercise I thought it was going to be easy, but it really isn't, especially for words like coffee, magazine etc... :Hug2:

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
We went into the dining-room. I took up the brandy bottle and poured Brett a drink and one for myself. There was a ring at the bell-pull. I went to the door and there was the count. Behind him was the chauffeur carrying a basket of champagne.

We went to eat. I took up the booze and poured Brett a drink and one for me. There was a ring at the bell pull. I went to the door and there was the count. At his back was the man who drove the car, with a case of booze.

Original quote from The Sun Also Rises.

This was harder than I expected, even using Hemmingway.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in posession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

We all know that a rich dude needs a wife.

Somehow it's just not the same.....

Original quote, Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
We went to eat. I took up the booze and poured Brett a drink and one for me. There was a ring at the bell pull. I went to the door and there was the count. At his back was the man who drove the car, with a case of booze.

Original quote from The Sun Also Rises.

This was harder than I expected, even using Hemmingway.

I know, I thought it would make my writing sound infantile. However it has taught me a lot about rephrasing words. It is a good exercise to find your voice. I thought this one came out well.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
We all know that a rich dude needs a wife.

Somehow it's just not the same.....

Original quote, Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice.

I think the dude did it in.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in posession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

It could read:

One known truth is a man of wealth is in need of a wife. :Sun:

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, its a great exercise. I wondered how much of the Hemingway I'd have to change. Not much, as it turned, out, but even with his spare prose I had to stretch it a little. But if you look at the middle two sentences, I changed nothing, except to remove the hyphen from bell-pull.

The Austen was just for fun, though.

After I do my obligatory five pages of new prose tomorrow, I'm going to use this exercise on some of it, just to see what happens -- not on the dialogue, but on the descriptive pasages. It's fantasy, so I'll bet 50% of it disappears.

If that improves my prose, I'm in for one hell of an edit!:D

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, its a great exercise. I wondered how much of the Hemingway I'd have to change. Not much, as it turned, out, but even with his spare prose I had to stretch it a little. But if you look at the middle two sentences, I changed nothing, except to remove the hyphen from bell-pull.

The Austen was just for fun, though.

After I do my obligatory five pages of new prose tomorrow, I'm going to use this exercise on some of it, just to see what happens -- not on the dialogue, but on the descriptive pasages. It's fantasy, so I'll bet 50% of it disappears.

If that improves my prose, I'm in for one hell of an edit!:D

I don't know about you, but whenever I go back to my work I EDIT, EDIT, and then Edit again. Is it ever done.

In one of my classes my teacher told us that Hemingway used only 5,000 different words. Maybe the figure is wrong but it was amazing since it included all of his works.

:)

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I read Hemingway I can feel my writing becoming simpler. The trouble is that it's easy to get Hemingway's style all wrong, and end up sounding merely inarticulate. As I am now, it being close to 2 p.m. and long past my bed time.