Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Little Doggie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tol.myfastforum.org
I've noticed that sometimes publishers expect a marketing plan from authors. They apparently want to know how the work can be successfully marketed and what the writer will do to promote his/her work. I'm not sure I know everything that I could do to market a book, nor do I have any idea where to find resources for this. There are several things I know I can do:

1. Promote the book on my Web sites, of which I have several: a blog, a MySpace page, a forum, and an ezine.
2. Talk about it in public forums where it's appropriate and allowed.
3. Attend book signings and conventions, etc.

When they ask what the intended audience is for the book, what information should I provide? If I say that people who like this or that would also like my book, will that be enough? Or is there more to it?

And what else could I do? Any advice on this would be appreciated.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It depends a little on the publisher. I have written a marketing plan for romance books, and for a non-fiction hardback and they looked completely different. I focussed on not only who, but where, the customers were and how I would try to reach them.

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
I've noticed that sometimes publishers expect a marketing plan from authors. They apparently want to know how the work can be successfully marketed and what the writer will do to promote his/her work. I'm not sure I know everything that I could do to market a book, nor do I have any idea where to find resources for this. There are several things I know I can do:

1. Promote the book on my Web sites, of which I have several: a blog, a MySpace page, a forum, and an ezine.
2. Talk about it in public forums where it's appropriate and allowed.
3. Attend book signings and conventions, etc.

When they ask what the intended audience is for the book, what information should I provide? If I say that people who like this or that would also like my book, will that be enough? Or is there more to it?

And what else could I do? Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Actually my publisher asks authors for additional marketing targets beyond what they traditionally cover. I have learned that each author has an idea of a redership and a vision of their book selling in certain venues. It is a good idea to share this with the publisher to expand the marketing if at all possible.
You do need to answer that question as to what/who the intended audience is. For example: is it a certain age/gender educational level? Fill ij the blanks: My readers are people who are passionate about ____________ or who have experiences with ___________. The next action is to identify how you will reach these readers.
Once you have identified who your market is the 4 poiunts you listed can be expanded to maybe 12 options.
This is why publishers identify their genre and topics of interest in their submission guidelines. They are experienced and already known in those markets.
It's all about sales.

AndyPolyak

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andy-polyak.narod.ru
Sometimes to promote a book is harder than to write it :) If it is being sold at internet-stores (as the books of mine), you have to promote them on web (as I do). If they are at traditional bookstores, the internet can help to start a buzz too.

Status
Not open for further replies.