Not open for further replies.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I'm working on a short story at the moment about a woman who trains for and runs a marathon both as a way of keeping a promise and honoring a friend who was killed in a car wreck.

How much of the training should I include? (For that matter, what is involved inthe training? I haven't researched that yet.) Or should I include any of it?

In a crit group that saw a very preliminary part of the story, the question was raised on if the main character would go through memories of her friend during the training and would the reader get to see any of that. I'm thinking that some of the same could be done through the course of the marathon itself, but then, I've never been in one myself so I really don't know. Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
I would talk to some people who've trained for a marathon and even do a little training myself, to get an honest feel for it. Then, write it and see what happens. As you're writing, you may decide the entire story should revolve around the training, or it may seem better to just include the marathon itself. I really think you need to get started and see where it goes.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Is the story about how the training changes her and her relationships, or about the marathon and its aftermath? The training itslef would need to have a role in the plot like giving time for contemplation and memory, as you mention. But it all depends on what the core message of the story really is.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
If you need to read a depiction of a person's feelings while running a marathon, I'd suggest you try and get Stanislaw Lem's novel The Magellan Nebula (in the library, maybe? It's SF). It starts with the hero training for and running a marathon, and it's simply unforgettable. Lem is exceptionally good at describing people's physical feelings and state of mind, and those two or three chapters are a real eye-opener as far as marathon running is concerned.

Great idea for the story, it must really work.

Last edited:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Thanks, guys. :) I really appreciate it.

The only thing I can't do right now is some training myself, but everything else is definitely do-able. I remembered someone earlier today who I can ask about training, so I'll see about getting in touch with her. I'll let you know how it all goes.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
ritinrider said:
Jen, maybe Mike'll stop by and give you some ideas. He helped his wife train for a marathon last year (I think).

Nita,

You had to go and make me think this morning, huh? I was trying to think of Mike who. Then I realized you meant someone here and not someone I knew. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.