Dialogue question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
How much dialogue should go into a middle grade book?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Thumbs: WELL....I HAVE A 13 YR. OLD GRAND DAUGHTER....AND SHE LOVES HARRY POTTER...AND WE KNOW HER LAST BOOK WAS LIKE OVER 900 PAGES....AND WHEN I READ IT...BY THE THIRD PAGE I WAS HOOKED.....

:Clap:

Stephanie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familylifeabroad.com
I think the "rule" of how much dialogue is the same as word count--just say what you have to say until it's said.

As Alice Pope (Editor, Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market) wrote:

For a middle grade novel, the general range is 10,000-30,000 words, or about 100-150 printed computer pages. A book for 10- to 12-year-olds could fall in to the range of young adult as well, depending on the publisher and the subject matter. In that case, a story could range from 25,000-50,000 words, or 175-200 pages.​
I suggest visiting a bookstore and flipping through chapters of books to give you an idea of their length and numbers-it can vary greatly. Find books in the same vein as what you're writing.

Not that you asked, but if you're interested in a good article on expository dialogue, you may wish to read http://www.right-writing.com/child-dialogue.html

Another good article - this one on all aspects of writing a middle-grade novel (although percentage of dialgoue in an mss is not mentioned), is http://www.right-writing.com/middle-grade.html

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I think the "rule" of how much dialogue is the same as word count--just say what you have to say until it's said.

I agree with Stephanie. I've never encountered any rule on amount of dialogue there should or shouldn't be. Just make sure it moves the story forward and sounds realistic. Read it out loud to yourself. And remember: not too much "he said, she said" tags.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking all my dialogue is moving the story along but I'm starting to wonder if I'm using too much.

Thanks for the links.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Dialogue makes for a snappy pace. If your novel is filled brim to brim with dialogue, it'd read too fast-paced and script-like. It's always good to slow down the pace with narratives.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Dialogue makes for a snappy pace. If your novel is filled brim to brim with dialogue, it'd read too fast-paced and script-like. It's always good to slow down the pace with narratives.

I do have a good bit of narrative too. I'm just hoping that I have a healthy balance in there. This is the first draft so maybe I should quit worrying so much.

:gone:

Do we have a blushing smilie?

Status
Not open for further replies.