They're Doing My Play (Again!) Community theatre group, that is

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first time was on a cold January night. We had a small crowd but they seemed to enjoy the show.

I should mention that my play is a very short one, part of a group of plays dealing with ghosts, zombies, vampires, eckgwis, and of course, a mad scientist, Dr. Blob.

They're doing two shows this coming week on Friday and Saturday nights. :snoopy:

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Good going, Rhymegirl!

I'm not a playwright and never will be, but I'm curious about how you get paid. Do you get cash every time someone performs the play?

Rose

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rose,

Cash? That would be nice. Actually, it's not that kind of deal. This is a brand new community theatre group, mostly young college students. My daughter's one of the players, she's 17. My oldest son (18) is the musical director and one of the technical guys.

Since they are just starting out, they have limited funds, so I told my son that if they were to write their own plays they wouldn't have to pay royalty fees to any established writer. I said I would write a play for them, someone else in the group wrote one, another person adapted one, and so on.

I guess my "payment" is the joy of seeing my play performed in front of an audience, their laughter, my name on the program, and knowing I did something I'd always wanted to do. And of course, it's a writing credit that might help somewhere down the road.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
..:Cheer: :PartySmil :Cheer: ........:Cheer: :Cheer: :Cheer: ....

........CONGRATES.....WOOOWOOOOOOO........

Status
Not open for further replies.