poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
capt.4c82cab64f29455499a48cc76ff03f44.rice_us_middle_east_dccd103.jpg

Rice was preparing to testify before the House Foreign Affairs Committee when she encountered Farooz inside the hearing room. Farooz had painted her hands red, apparently to symbolize her group's claim that members of President Bush's cabinet have blood on their hands because of the way they've waged war in Iraq.

shouldn't the blood be on condi's hands? what type of dyslexic protest is this?

reminds me of the seinfeld episode where kramer protests the post office by placing a bucket on the head of a mailman effigy.

Kramer, handing out anti-mail pamphlets: "Here you go. Mail is evil. Pass it on. Hey, mail blows. Fax it to a friend."
Woman: "Why does this dummy have a bucket on its head?"
Kramer: "Because we're blind to their tyranny."
Woman: "Then shouldn't you be wearing the bucket?"
Kramer: "Yeah. Move along, Betty."

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
reminds me of the seinfeld episode where kramer protests the post office by placing a bucket on the head of a mailman effigy.

I love that moment when he walks into the post office and says, "I want out."

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
In other news, Barney the dinosaur to become the chairman of Code Pink.

Andrew

Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
Not very classy.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Code Pink has, apparently, become code for fruitcake.

This sort of 'demonstration', like PETA splattering blood on people, is just outta line. Sure, I understand the dramatic statement they're trying to make, but it's counter-productive.

If anything, it hurts their cause.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't care who you are, who you're addressing, what your position is, or how desperate you are to make your case, this is just disgusting. If someone got in my face like that, the last thing I'd be thinking about is the issue they're protesting.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
This past summer a local farmer in my area took one of his fields which bordered a main road and staked in a small white cross for every American who'd been killed in Iraq. It was a big field, and it was packed full. He put up a simple handmade sign saying what the crosses were for, and let the point speak for itself. That was a VERY effective protest (I nearly rear-ended a Lexus looking at it). That photo in the OP looks like something from The Hills Have Eyes, and all it makes me wonder is who the hell the crazy chick is and what donut shop security must've been sitting in to let her get that close. Eccentric protest like that puts the attention on the protester themselves instead of the cause, and can also make the cause much less appealing for others to get involved in (at least, I personally wouldn't want to be in anyway associated with that woman. And has she ever heard of make-up or hairbrushes?)

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Eccentric protest like that puts the attention on the protester

Wow, bingo. You nailed this. That's exactly what bothers me about these sorts of protests.

Reaction score
I think this was just a Halloween stunt.

The code pink shirt, the witch's face/black wig mask and the bloody hands happens to be the #6 top selling Halloween costume on Amazon this week.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
I'm sorry, but I don't care who you are, who you're addressing, what your position is, or how desperate you are to make your case, this is just disgusting. If someone got in my face like that, the last thing I'd be thinking about is the issue they're protesting.

Personally? I think just holding up protest signs would have done just as well and not as dramatic. As much as I agree with Code Pink, they need to really change their tactics sometimes...