Status
Not open for further replies.

LRFarley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
Bob's Sub and Pub

New board, new ID, not so new goals, new results.

Sticking to my two submissions a month goal for now, even though some months I submit more. Have one short story submitted so far for February, with two more in the works, one of which might not make it till next month.

January's submissions resulted in two acceptances:

A short story called "Daddy, Hug," a psychological horror, is in the premiere edition of Buddy Tales. And a flash called "Truth in a Cup of Coffee" can be read in the third issue of Chick Flicks .

Great looking new board.

Last edited:

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Two for two in January!

Your success is inspiring, and goes to show you can't get acceptances unless you submit. I'll pop over and check out the websites now.

Rose

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Congrats bob. I was gonna submit for the March issue of Buddytales but kind of missed the deadline so I'll probably shoot for the May issue. Anyways, good job.

LRFarley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
Two for February, just barely

Had to rush, but finally got something else subbed for February to make my two-a-month quota. Haven't had any luck with the last place I subbed, Dark Energy SF, but at least their rejections have been easy, and they don't take forever to say no. Hoping the yeses take an equally short time.

LRFarley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
One February sub successful

One of the two February subs got picked up for the March 15 issue of Buddy Tales . Haven't heard from the other one.

Still working on three stories that I want to sub this month (March), but to do so, have to get two of them ready by the 15th. I think I can.

Bob/lrf

LRFarley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
March's subs are in

Got my two subs for March done. Still working on a couple of shorts to snail mail to major sci fi mags, but if I don't finish polishing them this month, I've still got my quota made, one a flash story for an ezine, one a flash story for a contest.

Bob/lrf

LRFarley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
One for two for March

One of my March submissions, the dark flash fiction "Herman," was accepted for the June 15 edition of Chick Flicks (http://ee.1asphost.com/fwbw/ezine_index.html) .

My other March submission, a strange flash fiction called "Moving Day," is getting trounced in the March story contest at Writer Buddy (http://www.writerbuddy.com/wbhome/index.php). I think it must be a popularity contest. Yeah, that's it.

One out of two feels pretty good. I'll take it.

LRFarley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
April's quota made

In keeping with my year beginning resolution, I've got two things subbed for another month, fiction writing-wise. I categorize because I've also been sending out scuds of media releases. Well, scuds might be a strong term, but enough. Trying to send out at least a half-dozen releases, six postcards, and twelve requests to bookstores to carry my book on their shelves a week. That's $5.32 a week if I only do the minimum. Add in time, cost for paper, cost for ink and it's probably twice that. Have also started a deal to get an autographed copy of the book for less than the cost online, which has netted a few sales.

Now that I've started writing heavily on my follow-up book, I may not have the time to write shorts to send out each month. We'll see. But perhaps the time would be better spent publicizing the book I've got out now. Would be nice to have one big sale for a short story, though. Dream on, Little Wing.

LRFarley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
I've completed my goal of attending a writers conference, and it was awesome.

The Pikes Peak Writers Conference (http://www.ppwc.net) kicked butt for three days. I learned more in that time than I've learned the past year. Reading stuff is one thing, but hearing it come out of the mouths of Donald Maass, Marilyn Atlas, Rupert Holmes (the Pina Colada Song guy!), Judith Guest, Leanne Banks, Jim McCarthy, Jennifer O'Connell, Bob Mayer--I could go on--and getting the chance to corner these people and make pitches, or in my case, to drool on their shoes, was a learning experience like no other.

I plan to write some articles about the event from my perspective, but just wanted to say that if anyone has ever wondered whether a conference is worth the time and money, it is. I learned a semester's worth of art lessons just by browsing the giveaway table full of business cards, bookmarks, and postcards. No kidding.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.