Would you go to Auschwitz on vacation?

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
So friday we're heading out to bum around Eastern Europe for a couple of weeks. We're going to be in Krakow, right outside Auschwitz, and we've been discussing whether to go. We know it would be a powerful experience, but it would take up an entire day on an already hectic schedule. We'll probably wind up going to the Jewish quarter in Prague instead (I remember it having a pretty compelling Holocaust exhibit).

So I'm curious what other people think. Would it be a sightseeing priority for you?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember seeing an exhibit in Prague -- drawings by children in the concentration camps. Just about stops your heart.

The old Jewish cemetery there is amazing to see too; when it filled, the tombstones were taken up, and another layer was added. Now, the yard is crammed with tombstones; it looks like a boxful of ancient receipts.

I can't say about Auschwitz, but the Jewish quarter of Prague is definitely worth seeing.

Have fun whatever you decide. Will you go to Budapest?

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I remember seeing an exhibit in Prague -- drawings by children in the concentration camps. Just about stops your heart.

The old Jewish cemetery there is amazing to see too; when it filled, the tombstones were taken up, and another layer was added. Now, the yard is crammed with tombstones; it looks like a boxful of ancient receipts.

That's the one I was remembering. It was incredible (I'm sure there's a more appropriate sounding word, but it really was).

Have fun whatever you decide. Will you go to Budapest?

Yes, but for just over a day. Any suggestions?

We're also going to Ljubljana (which I must learn how to pronounce) and Lake Bled (which I've wanted to see ever since I read the Historian) in Slovenia. And Plitvice park and Dubrovnik in Croatia. And Vienna for a couple of days.

Last edited:

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
yes, the jewish quarter in prague is beautiful and poignant; i assume auschwitz would be more poignant than beautiful. it is a tough decision. it would be an educational but mournful day for your vacation.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but for just over a day. Any suggestions?
I wish I could remember. It's been twenty-six years. I remember a magnificent cathedral, a beautiful fin-de-siecle sort of restaurant -- a rarity in eastern Europe in those pre-Glasnost days, and speaking fumbling Russian with a record shop clerk.

And sneaking cigarettes on walks in the park. Good times.

PrettySpecialGal

roll, roll, roll in ze hay
Registered
Reaction score
I've been to the Cech Republic- right after they opened borders (within a year or 2). I never made it to Prague- but enjoyed myself all the same in other border towns. Hubby did the concentration camp visits, and found it well worth the time. Perhaps it depends on your personal interests. I mean, to my husband, spending all day surrounded by WWII history was a day well spent, but for you, I'd hate for you to go, wishing the whole day you'd chosen somewhere else to go.
Choosing is hard.
Enjoy yourself either way.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
and speaking fumbling Russian with a record shop clerk.

Oh you should have heard my hand at Polish on the phone with the hotel clerk today. I'm sure I made his ears bleed, and I only knew two phrases: "Hello. Do you speak English?" I have no idea what I would've done if he'd said no (I'm not even sure I know what Polish for "no" is).

But in Budapest I'm hoping to try the public baths and maybe catch an opera.

I mean, to my husband, spending all day surrounded by WWII history was a day well spent, but for you, I'd hate for you to go, wishing the whole day you'd chosen somewhere else to go.

I don't think it'd the type of thing we'd regret (we love history). It's just hard to prioritize!

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I visited Dachau when I was twelve or thirteen. The impression was lasting.

I'll never get a tattoo, and I was a merchant sailor for over 25 years.

The experience is disturbing, at the least. For anyone who respects freedom, the experience will solidify their determination to defend it, and to respect minority populations. Witness the history, ensure it doesn't happen again.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Closest I've been to something like that is the War Cemetries in NE France, near the D-Day Beaches.

I think I would go in your position. Not enough people learn history or learn from history. Sometimes a trip to a place like that can go a long way, and beyond where you think it will.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I would absolutely go to Auschwitz on vacation, in a heartbeat. I've always wanted to.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I've been to Dachau and it was a sobering experience. I don't regret that I went but I'll never go again.

What struck me was how quiet and clean it was. The bunks in the barracks had all been worn completely smooth (they were polished smooth) that gave me a very clear understanding of how many bodies had slept on the bunks.

I didn't cry until I saw the ovens...there was still ash residue...I haven't been in over 20 years and it still disturbs me.

Go, I don't think you'll regret it and remembering is one of the most important things we can do for the victims.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
While "vacation" and "Auschwitz" is oxymoronic, I would go. I would have gone when I was in Europe but I wasn't close enough to just do a day stop. Like what has been said above, it depends on your taste. WWII history is a huge fascination for me and I've done A LOT of research on the concentration camps and just doing that disturbed the hell out of me. You know they found 2 TONs (that's 4000 pounds) of hair at Auschwitz when it was liberated. Can you even grasp the aestetic size of such a quantity of hair to equal 2 tons? Just doing the reasearch itself is shaking, disturbing and renders nightmares. I can only imagine what the camp, whether Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, Treblinka or any of the other camps, would be like to visit. But I would still do it just to be able to finitely grasp the magnitude of what was done to a people, however far detached from it I really am.

As for Dubrovnik, I've been there and it's gorgeous. I was there in May a year and a half ago and I loved it. Really, you can do the entire town in a day, especially considering the main attraction is Old Town and a few hours there and you're good to go. Split it supposed to be nice but even in Dubrovnik, if you go on a hike, tread lightly. Mine removal is very expensive and Croatia is a very poor country and their hills are still littered with very active mines. It's a beautiful area and the people are wonderful. I've always wanted to go to Romania but from what I understand, it's still an iffy country and tour guides actually refuse to take people to certain areas. I want to save up and do a Dracula's tour at some point just because I find all that lore and history very appealing. Istabul is supposed to be gorgeous even though it's not in Europe (close enough though) and that's another place I'd like to go sometime in the safer and hopeful future. If you want to see some Dubrovnik pictures, go to http://wandering.shutterfly.com. They're my European pictures. I can't remember if I have them up yet because I can't access the site on my work server but if they're not, let me know and I'll put them up for you. Glorious place, it really is and it's better to go now before they get sucked into the EU since the kuna is very much in the US favor!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I did. It was incredible. Go to Birkenau while you are there.

We went to Prague and Krakow on vacation and loved both cities. Loved, loved, loved Prague and I would go back in a heartbeat. But Auschwitz was the most memorable part of the trip, and it gave me such a deeper understanding of that period in history.

Krakow is a nice city, too.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
You guys realize that the Holocaust never happened right?

*runs away*

Note: This was a sad attempt at humor. The culprit has been captured and beaten severely. He promises never to be an instigator again.

Seriously though, I don't think I could visit that. The negative vibrations would just overwhelm me. My inlaws went and they told me about it. That's more than enough for me. There's a reason I never watched Schindler's List.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I woudl go fully expecting to be overwhelmed and to have to leave. But that's okay. I would rather go and be overwhelmed than otherwise.

(the Holocaust was a ruse, and when people started nosing around, we 'faked' landing on the Moon to cover it up. I knowed it!)

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I've been to Berchtesgaden, Obersalzberg, the Eagles Nest, etc. Hitler's home was rubble at that time and there was very little of it. I imagine it's been picked clean by now that was 33 years ago. I would go. It would be painful but I think it would be worth it.

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
This is slightly off-topic, but only a bit so hope i'll be forgiven.

The hilarious Irish writer Marian Keyes has a monthly newsletter where she catches her subscribers up with her doings - in hilarious tones too. Last month she went to Slovakia where the Irish team were playing football. I replicate it below, and after you've read it you can decide if you think you want to include Slovakia on your itinerary.
Marian's article:

Okay, Slovakia. Well, we went there thinking a) the Irish football team would beat the living daylights out of the Slovak team b) that the Slovaks were lovely people. Neither of these things transpired to be true.

We set off from Prague on the Saturday morning, full of good cheer. We arrived at the SAS Radisson in the centre of Bratislava to discover that only one of our 3 rooms was ready (even though it was later than 3 o’clock.) We could hardly hear the conversation with the surly, surly, oh very surly desk person because of the singing of The Fields of Athenry from the bars across the street. Undeterred, we went to the one room and my brother Tadhg leaned out the window, looking at the hordes of Irish fans out there and said, “There it is! I’ve seen my first green inflatable hammer!” And so festivities were declared open.

Out we went. Irish fans everywhere full of niceness. Slovak police also everywhere. Not full of niceness. Making people take down Irish flags. Telling people to shut up the singing. Slovak bar staff. Not full of niceness. Back to the hotel to see if the rooms were ready. Revelation from (different other) surly desk person. The hotel was overbooked. There was no room for my brother Niall. The whole town was full. But they had secured him some rude lodgings outside the town, halfway to Budapest. All of us very distressed. He’s our brother, we exclaimed! We don’t see him that often! Don’t send him halfway to Budapest! But nothing doing.

Duff

We went for something to eat. And my God, the frozen, unsmiling hostility of it all. You’d swear it was illegal to smile in Slovakia. Indeed, maybe it is! Certainly, enough police around to enforce it too. Frankly we were astonished by the unpleasantness of the staff. I mean, I admit that Irish people can sometimes be a bit wearing, with their constant chat and bonhomie and desperate desire for the craic, but come on!

Then we went to the ground where the warm Slovak welcome continued. There were only 2 gates for the Irish fans and 279 for the (13) Slovak fans. Tumbleweed was blowing through the Slovak turnstiles but they still wouldn’t let us come in. They directed us (curtly, nay brutally) to the Irish gates which looked like Red Cross Feeding Stations in a famine zone. It was really – genuinely – scary. Although everyone (by which I mean the Irish people, not the granite-faced Slovaks) were really good-humoured, we were so crushed that my feet were lifting off the ground. By the time we got in the National Anthems were playing and there were still loads of Irish people stuck outside in the throng so they would have missed the start of the game. However, the less said about the game the better. All that you need to know is that it looked like we were going to win then we let in a stinky Slovak goal in injury time. And it felt like fecking déjà vu! It was Tel Aviv all over again! We were gutted, gutted, gutted! And to enhance our happiness, the Slovaks sent in a load of riot police who were so obviously itching for a fight. I’ve never been so insulted in my life! I’ve been to Irish games in lots of counties and never, ever, ever have we been treated like this. Irish fans are nice! Everyone knows that! (Like I say, yes, we can at times be wearing with the anecdotes and the good-humour but coshing people over the head with batons just to shut them up surely isn’t the way to go.) Then – the final salt in the wound – the Irish fans were locked in – yes, locked in – for 15 minutes at the end of the match, to let the 6 Slovak fans home safely (yes, I had originally thought there were 13 Slovak fans but 7 of them were Irish who had had to buy Slovak tickets because all the Irish ones were sold.)

Bhuel, a chairde! (Irish for Well, mes amies), it was a bad business. I know many of you will write to me (or maybe not) and say that some of your best friends are Slovakian and they spend their days from dawn till dusk laughing their heads off and a nicer, warmer, more fun-loving nation you couldn’t hope to meet. And that may well be the case. I am not judging the entire Slovakian nation, only the 417 Slovaks I met. Maybe they were having a bad day. All of them.

In fairness, no wonder it was such a peaceful business when they decided to break away from the Czechs and make their own country. The Czechs must have been delighted! ‘Work away lads, good luck with it all, no, no, no need to feel guilty, we’ll be grand. We’ll miss you of course, your little smiling Slovak faces, but we respect that you must do what you must do.’

And of course, out of suffering, great art sometimes comes. So much so that I’ve been inspired to write a pome about my time there. It goes as follows.

Slovakia. Oh Slovakia!
I won’t be going back to ya.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I went, when I spent a semester in Austria. It wasn't emotionally overwhelming to me (not much is), but it was a very quiet, solemn kind of feeling. I really didn't have a mental picture of it before, so it was good, for me, to be able to get an idea at least of what it looks like today. It was a gorgeous day, very incongruous. The open grassy areas between the guard towers made a pretty scene, until we found out there was no grass there at the time, and that detail turned the picture on its head. There are displays of heaps of shoes that were left there, and the hair, as Donna mentioned, that was all turned gray from the gas. And Maximilian Kolbe's starvation cell.

Ok, typing that out is giving me the shivers now!

Another sightseeing place we went to -- and I don't remember offhand where it was -- is the salt mines that have all the statues carved in the rock. Gorgeous work...they have an entire ballroom carved out of salt rock, and statues of Polish legends, and saints, and all kinds of things. And clean air like I've never felt anywhere else; apparently they have a clinic for breathing problems elsewhere in the mines! I don't know how that would fit into your schedule, though.

Sounds like it'll be a great trip!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Another sightseeing place we went to -- and I don't remember offhand where it was -- is the salt mines that have all the statues carved in the rock. Gorgeous work...they have an entire ballroom carved out of salt rock, and statues of Polish legends, and saints, and all kinds of things. And clean air like I've never felt anywhere else; apparently they have a clinic for breathing problems elsewhere in the mines! I don't know how that would fit into your schedule, though.

Sounds like it'll be a great trip!

I forgot about the salt mines. They were great.