Beowulf

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to this, but the commercials... cripes, it looks cartoonish, like 300 did. Not my cup of tea in that case.

I think it is, literally, a cartoon. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope it's better than 300, which I thought was borderline ridiculous.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Same thing he did with Polar Express.

Trailers I've seen so far look like a movie made of computer-game cut-scenes.

Hope for the best, but not a lot of hope.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Looks awesome, and I saw the Red band trailer... it's rather bloody and sexual. But wow, the graphics look amazing (it's kind of weird all the characters except Beowulf look like the actors who voice them).

Ferret: it is a "cartoon" but very realistic (well, fantasy realistic). did you see Monster House? That was a good one, too.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I saw the trailer before Stardust. La la la, looks cool . . . what the. . . Ray Winstone doesn't look like that . . . OMG THAT WAS AN ANIMATED MOVIE!!!

I totally didn't realise it was animated until after the trailer was finished! That was kind of crazy. I am rather looking forward to this one!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
beowulf

it is still taught in high school. the boys usually love it. the girls hate it--go figure. some of my boys bought swords from those phony ancient weapon catalogues. they couldn't bring them to school but they did great reports on 6th century weapons and ships and gore. kind of missed the christain message. they liked gawain too. if it is a cartoon i think taz should play hrothgar. --s6

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I heard it was live action and then cg on top. I'm not really up to date on that type of stuff. I'll go see it, because it's Beowulf, but the movie I'm REALLY excited about this week is American Gangster.

Nope, it's all motion capture much like what they did with Polar Express, but the technology is better now -- I hope they fix those "dead eyes" problems with PE.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Ferret: it is a "cartoon" but very realistic (well, fantasy realistic). did you see Monster House? That was a good one, too.
No I avoid pretty much all cartoons unless I'm being forced to be the good parent. Or unless it's a classic like Jonny Quest or Scooby Do.

What's wrong with real actors and just a little CGI? I was just getting used to CGI! Now this!

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I took an entire class on Beowulf in college (pre-requisite Old English) and loved it (and I'm a girl). I was excited about it until I saw the trailers. I like some CGI, but the people in this one, so far, look, as someone else said, like cut scenes in video games. I don't think I'll be going to see this movie but may watch it on PPV or if it hits one of the cable movie channels.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
And something like Ratatouille is really best appreciated by adults definitely. Some of the kids in the theatre with me got kind of bored, but I thought it was one of the best movies of the year. Animation is definitely not just for kids anymore!

When does Beowulf come out btw?

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
And something like Ratatouille is really best appreciated by adults definitely. Some of the kids in the theatre with me got kind of bored, but I thought it was one of the best movies of the year. Animation is definitely not just for kids anymore!

When does Beowulf come out btw?

My bad, November 16th. My husband and I are going to it in IMAX 3D. :)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if they could completely do away with the actors themselves, then we - the Writers - would truly rule the world.

Oh, and I guess a few computer programers, maybe. :D