PDA

View Full Version : Do I know you? The Character Interview game!

WillowArcane
10-25-2007, 01:06 AM
Have you been working on characters for a while now, but perhaps still can't quite get everything right? Is some little facet of their personality still nagging you? Or perhaps you've just come up with something brand new and need a kick start to flesh them out? This may be the game for you!

Do I Know You? The Interview Game

The point of this game is to pretend you are either a journalist/reporter, or a more on-stage presence such as Jay Leno. Present a list of questions to your character as if meeting them for the first time, and see what develops.

This can be done very simplistically (like a reporter) with only straight Q and A, or more complex (such as Leno) where you would also describe the character's expressions, reactions and even how they sit in the chair.

Some possible questions are:

Family
Where they're from (not necessarily place of birth)
Likes and dislikes
Hobbies
Political views
Religious beliefs
Favorite items/things of personal significance
Job description
Ambitions/goals
Fears
Most memorable moment
Love life
Academic interests
Views on their fellow man
How they'd describe themselves in just one word
etc

This is just a basic list, to take or leave as you choose. The ultimate goal is to help you know your character inside and out by the time you're finished. Good luck! :D

Joycecwilliams
10-25-2007, 06:00 AM
Okay. I understand the concept but am uncertain as to how the game works.

Do I ask the questions of myself and post them?

Or do I ask someone else?

WillowArcane
10-25-2007, 07:05 AM
This is a game that is meant to help you understand your characters as thoroughly as possible. So you would be doing both the asking and the answering of your own works, but as if you had never met them before. You don't have to post the product here, if you wish it to be your own personal project, but I think it would be of great interest to see what others have done, especially if it's in a comedic "leno" style.

WillowArcane
10-26-2007, 02:51 AM
Here's my first attempt with King Tarren, main protagonist in the story "Star of the Gods".

Interviewer: Welcome to today's episode of "Inquiring minds want to know!" With us today for a most exclusive interview is our guest hailing from the Land of Dimaria. Please give welcome to His Majesty, King Tarren!

*the audience claps and cheers as Tarren strides onto the stage, decked in royal finery. He beams a wide smile back to them, a mischievious gleam in his eyes, as he waves. Grabbing his cloak in one hand, he sweeps his arm inwards and bows graciously to the interviewer, who reciprocates in kind. They then shake hands before taking their plush seats across from each other.*

I: Welcome to our show, your Majesty. It is a great honour to be given an interview with such an esteemed leader such as yourself.

T: *smiles and nods as he crosses his legs, sitting upright yet still relaxed, regal yet unpretensious.* It is my pleasure. I always welcome a chance for open dialogue between myself and my kindgom. Without its citizens, Dimaria would still remain the wasteland it once was.

I: Indeed, a kingdom isn't much without its people. Now, tell us a little about your past. What was life like before you became the first King of these lands?

T: *he begins to stroke lightly as his well-kept black goatee, his gaze pointing to nothing in particular* If I had to describe it in one word, it would be chaotic. It was a time before the humans appeared in this world and the elves were forever at war with demonkind. For two thousand years I played a part in the strife, and I have no fond memories of that role.

I: Do elaborate! What was this role and where did it take you?

T: To the ends of the earth, to the realm of madness, to the edge of death...

I: Madness eh? Sounds like quite a trip.

T: *he looks directly into the interviewer's eyes, his expression full of seriousness* It was. I had only one simple purpose, and that was to bring as much suffering and death as possible. *the audience murmurs softly amongst itself at this statement* I was extremely good at my task, and I never thought to do anything else.

I: What made you break from this and pursue a new way of life?

T: *he pauses for a moment, almost as if lost in thought before responding* I guess you could say I did what was until then unheard of among my kind. I fell in love.

I: With whom?

T: A human woman, after the gateway between worlds had been opened.

I: What happened to this woman?

T: *a pained expression crosses his face as he recalls the ancient events that are still keen in his elephant-style memory.* She was murdered by my enemy, Kailen, as he led an assault against the town. Loving another was her death setence, a mistake I have done well not to repeat to this day.

I: So you have never taken on another lover because you fear Kailen will try to kill them as well?

T: I know it. It has been over 1000 years since that day, and Kailen is as intent as ever to do myself and Dimaria as much harm as possible. I refuse to allow that to happen.

I: You've ruled over Dimaria for nearly 1000 years already. That's quite some record you hold, and I'm sure your neighboring countries must be envious.

T: *he smiles and chuckles softly* I don't think it's anything to be envious of. I simply do the best I can and will do so for as long as I am able. Dimaria is precious to me and I am more than proud of what she's become.

I: After such a long rule, don't you think you should consider looking for a queen? Would you not want an heir to continue your legacy, should anything happen to you?

T: *his eyes narrow as he tries to push away a scowl that briefly crosses his face.* As i've said, doing so would be a death sentence for them.

I: Surely, with your vast and loyal armies as well as your own considerable strength, they would be safe? Afterall, Dimaria has grown into a model city because of your care and vigilance against your enemies.

T: *he sighs, his mind conflicted with what he knows could happen against what he knows he really ought to do* If I should make myself a family, it would only give Kailen the added incentive to strike at Dimaria with everything he has, a focused goal for his rage. I could neve take such a risk.

I: *nods and decides to change to another subject* Tell us, what is it like to be King?

T: *grins slightly* It has it's perks...

I: Do tell..

T: Well, for one, you have access to the finest alcohol in the land...

I: *chuckles, glad the mood has become lighter*

T: It is a very challenging role, but one that I am thankful to have had the opportunity to experience. You could say that Dimaria's prosperity is my way of honouring the memory of the woman that changed my entire existance.

I: *nods and holds his cup of water into the air, motioning for Tarren to do the same* Let us all give a cheer then for the one we owe everything to, our esteemed King's first love! *Tarren smiles, honoured as the audience gives a loud cheer*

T: Thank you, I'm honoured by your sympathy.

I: Now, tell us about yourself in the present day. What is your most memorable moment?

T: Honestly? The day I became King and established Dimaria as a haven for humankind. It remains the proudest time of my long life.

I: And proud you should be. King of Dimaria is quite a title to live up to around these lands. What is your greatest fear?

T: To lose it all. For everything I've worked for to be destroyed by the hands of my enemy. For the humans who have made Dimaria what it is to become nothing but slaves as they once were so many centuries ago.

I *nods* I can understand how such thoughts can cause you considerable stress. I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say that your citizens and soldiers are loyal to your cause and will rally behind you in full support whenever you need them.
*the crowd once again cheers loudly in agreement, causing Tarren to smile .*

T: I am forever grateful to all of you.

I: So by the sounds of it, your goals would be to continue leading Dimaria into another century of prosperity.

T: *nods, grinning* Why stop there? I'll lead them into another millenium of peace if I have anything to say about it. I will not rest until Kailen and his forces are brought down, and both worlds are safe from his destructive rule.

I: And a noble quest that is, indeed. *the interview stands up, as does Tarren and they shake hands once again*. Thank you for joining us today, it was a pleasure to have you.

T: You're very welcome, it was an honour to be your guest.

I: *turns towards the audience* Please give a warm round of applause to His Majest, King Tarren. *the audience cheers and claps, to which Tarren grabs his cloak and does another deep bow before exiting the stage*

I: This wraps up todays episode of "Inquiring minds want to know!" Tune in next week when we try to see into the mind of His Highness, Prince Torell. *waves and cuts to commercial*

(because of the complexity of Tarren's history, this is only about half the length of a normal interview with more questions)

I hope it didn't sound to silly! :D

(Edit: this interview is done basically before the story starts, so his views towards things such as loving someone are different)

WillowArcane
10-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Actually, after thinking about the interview I did, perhaps it would be a good idea that if you have a character with detailed information, to split it up into multiple sections. One interview for just background history, present history, current job, etc. The next would be just love life or family and friends, etc. The third for political, personal, religious and other beliefs while the fourth for the simpler hobbies, likes/dislikes, personal objects, goals/ambitions, etc. That way, you can be more detailed about each point, but if you post, not bog down the reader with a massive infodump. I do hope that others will indeed post their attempts! :)

WillowArcane
10-27-2007, 05:01 AM
No takers? :(

Voyager
10-27-2007, 05:05 AM
I tried to interview my character, but he walked off the set when I asked him about his sexual preference.

WillowArcane
10-27-2007, 06:00 AM
Write that out and post it! I think that would be quite possibly very amusing to read :D

PattiTheWicked
10-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Interviewer: Welcome to a live edition of Characters Today! This evening, I'm interviewing Petronius Barba, the rugged centurion of Patti's work in progress. Petronius, how are you today?

Petronius Barba: ::: lops head off annoying interviewer:::

Producer: Uh, that's it for today, then. Cut to commercial.

WillowArcane
10-27-2007, 07:08 AM
*laughs!* That, although probably not until the middle of the interview, is probably very much what one of my own chars would end up doing :tongue