Newly agented questions

wordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That fleshy part near the base of the thumb
Website
www.erikageiss.com
I have 2 "newbie" questions. (Newbie to having an agent, not newbie to AW.)

First, can I mention my agent on my writing Web site. Right now, I state that if a pub/editor wants to contact me, to do so and I will direct them to my agent. Is that sufficient?

Second, yesterday I was interviewing a person who is an esteemed expert in her field for an article that I'm writing and planning to query about. During our conversation, it came up that she is writing a book, and asked if I'd contribute a personal story to it. From the conversation that we had, it really sounds like a quid pro quo arrangement, but should I let my agent know? Does she need to go through him, even though there is no payment involved? I know writing for free seems absurd, but to be included as a voice in her book would be 1. incredible for my platform, espeically for my other WIP that happens to be tangentally related to her book subject and 2.--well, there is no "2" aside from my own personal hero worship of this person.

TIA for any help anyone can provide!

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I had a conversation with my agent on exactly what she wanted me to put on my website (name, email, but no phone) My publisher also wanted me to put the publicist information-
re the other- Let your agent know EVERYTHING you are doing that has to do with your writing- anthologies are business too...

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
EVERYTHING to do with writing. It's critical. It can be an informal email - "so an so has asked me to contribute xxxx to yyyy it means no money (or ?)

You need to keep her in the loop-- it's something she /he can say to an editor oh my author had this published. Mine likes to know things I'm even THINKING of doing...

wordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That fleshy part near the base of the thumb
Website
www.erikageiss.com
Thanks Orion! Now that you explained the "everything" part, it makes sense to me.
So, agents are okay with what I'm going to call "unassisted publications" like articles, since they help build platform?

Forgive the questions that may just seem dumb--but so much has happened so quickly for me, and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around being newly agented. LOL

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
For example - even though I write fiction- I am participating in a community literacy "book club" program because they chose my book- I let my agent know- (I lead discussions about reading and discuss my book). I am also doing a writing workshop at a large academic conference. All these things don't even mean money in my agent's pocket but do help her promote me...hope this helps.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Another etiquette question: My long search for an agent ended successfully last month, but had been going on for years. In that time I managed to get my manuscript in front of some US editors. There are a couple of those submissions still running. Should I drop the editors an e-mail to let them know I'm now represented and that my agent is going to WFC and will meet with them?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Ask your agent how she/he wants you to handle it - usually it's a case of you sending a short simple business email that says that you are now represented by XXXXXXX and provide all YOUR info and the agents info and the name of the project and the editors involved AND cc your agent.
BTW your agent should know about all of these submissions if you haven't said something already.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks
My agent has a list of which editors have seen it. Over 5 and a half years that is fair size list