PDA

View Full Version : Would you go into outer space?

III
10-24-2007, 06:34 PM
If you were given the chance tomorrow to go into outer space on a shuttle for a joy ride, would you?

KTC
10-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I have never left outerspace, my good man.

Bmwhtly
10-24-2007, 06:35 PM
How 'Outer' are we talking here?

ETA: Doesn't matter, I've got work tomorrow.

PeeDee
10-24-2007, 06:37 PM
In a heartbeat. Absolutely. I am terrified of the feeling of free-fall, and I would gladly deal with that if it meant I could go into outerspace for a bit.

RumpleTumbler
10-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Not a snowballs chance in hell and I've been flying airplanes for 30 years.

III
10-24-2007, 06:41 PM
How 'Outer' are we talking here?

ETA: Doesn't matter, I've got work tomorrow.

ETA: "If you could go into outer space and have the day off work . . ."

MidnightMuse
10-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Not on the shuttles they're still using, I wouldn't!

III
10-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Not on the shuttles they're still using, I wouldn't!

What if it was as safe as flying in an airplane?

Bmwhtly
10-24-2007, 06:45 PM
"If you could go into outer space and have the day off work . . ."Hmmm....

If I take the day off, do I Have to go into outer space?

Also, how "outer" is "Outer Space"? (in miles, kilometres or light years)

MidnightMuse
I've seen those fall from the sky, too.

If - somehow - I was assured of a safe trip up and safe trip back down, sure. I love that weightless-stomach-in-your-chest feeling.

auntybug
Joy ride? No. It's a Mom thing. When I was younger - sure. I would have also gone skydiving or bungee (sp) jumping. Now nope. (Ok - I just gotta give my I came into this world on a broken rubber, I aint going out on one line!)

So no, again. Unless I'm called on to save the world (pfffttt) - I aint going up in no bottle rocket.

Bored today III? Me too - thanks!

RumpleTumbler
What if it was as safe as flying in an airplane?

It's not. There isn't a vehicle in existence that comes remotely close.

III
10-24-2007, 06:57 PM
I've seen those fall from the sky, too.

If - somehow - I was assured of a safe trip up and safe trip back down, sure. I love that weightless-stomach-in-your-chest feeling.

Like RT said, assume it's 100X safer than getting in your car in the morning.

Hmmm....

If I take the day off, do I Have to go into outer space?

Also, how "outer" is "Outer Space"? (in miles, kilometres or light years)

Yes, you have to go into outer space. That's why your boss is giving you the day off. You're not Ferris Beuler. And "Outer Space" would be out of the stratosphere. Let's say it's a 2 hour trip. You get to see the Earth out the window and experience weightlesness.

So the real question is, would the enticement of the experience outweigh your natural fear? For me, I think I have this irrational fear that I would freak out just knowing I was in outer space. I love flying in an airplane but the idea of leaving the planet scares me on a primal level, even though it would be an incredible thrill.

sunna
10-24-2007, 06:59 PM
In a heartbeat.

MidnightMuse
10-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Well, if we're assuming it's as safe as my VW Beetle and the morning commute, okay - I would. I have no fear of not being on this planet. And I love the dizzyness and floatie thing.

PeeDee
10-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Well, if we're assuming it's as safe as my VW Beetle and the morning commute, okay - I would. I have no fear of not being on this planet. And I love the dizzyness and floatie thing.

Boy, way to let your imagination run wild with the question and....think of lots of clarifying questions. Good lord. ;)

Salem
10-24-2007, 07:03 PM
I could never pass up the chance to do something like that, even with the risk factor. And if I died in the process at least I'd have died doing something cool. Better than going some pathetic way like choking on a balogna sandwich.

Bmwhtly
"Outer Space" would be out of the stratosphere. Let's say it's a 2 hour trip. You get to see the Earth out the window and experience weightlesness.So not really out into the big black? just sort of hop out of atmo, float about a bit then back?

I think I'll go to work. Otherwise I'll just have to catch up on tomorrow's work on Friday.

Well, if we're assuming it's as safe as my VW Beetle and the morning commute, okay - I would.Really? with all those planes falling out of the sky, one of them's bound to land on you sooner or later. That's the law of averages.
And let's not rule out Buses, white vans and kids on bikes.

Not ALL that safe.

A. Hamilton
I think it would be incredible-I go in a heartbeat.
I wonder if one would get claustrophobic in a shuttle-that would be my only concern, but I'd deal .

RLB
10-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Speaking as the former Shuttle Commander of my sixth grade Space Camp group, I'd absolutely go. I think I even remember most of my lines.

MidnightMuse
10-24-2007, 07:08 PM
I think I even remember most of my lines.

Shuttle Commander: Push that thing, over there! NO! Not that one! The flashie one with the red light!

Shuttle Pilot: This is just so unfair, man. My Dad paid extra for me to play the lead and you've got all the big lines.

Shuttle Commander: I'm the Commander, so you have to do what I say!

Mission Control: Okay, that's enough. Milk and cookies in the Pre Flight Room, then it's nap time!

Shadow_Ferret
10-24-2007, 07:09 PM
No f-ing way.

I'm claustrophobic.

I'm afraid of heights.

I'm afraid of artificial breathing devices.

If you could get me up there in a nice, spacious transporation vehicle the size of an ocean liner where I wouldn't notice anything, then fine.

No way am I going up in one of those tea kettles we call spacecraft.

ETA: Oh, and my ears pop just going up a hill.

RLB
10-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Shuttle Commander: Push that thing, over there! NO! Not that one! The flashie one with the red light!

Shuttle Pilot: This is just so unfair, man. My Dad paid extra for me to play the lead and you've got all the big lines.

Shuttle Commander: I'm the Commander, so you have to do what I say!

Mission Control: Okay, that's enough. Milk and cookies in the Pre Flight Room, then it's nap time!

LOL. Pretty close. Except I had a crush on the pilot. Lloyd... the first Canadian I ever met.

MidnightMuse
10-24-2007, 07:12 PM
It would have to be a short trip, I don't wanna use one of those vacuum tube pottys.

PeeDee
10-24-2007, 07:15 PM
You people are all wusses. Wusses!

I'd go up and then, I would

1) Fly across the shuttle with my arms above my head and finally do the Superman thing.

2) Fly back the otherway and be Green Lantern

3) Look at Earth from outer space for at least six hours

4) (throw up, but quietly and politely because I am a guest on this shuttle)

5) Ask a million billion questions and desperately try to remember everything and fail and regret that most of all

6) Try to talk them out of ever coming down

7) Scream the whole way down because I'm scared of freefall.

8) Desperately want to do it again for the rest of my life.

MidnightMuse
10-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Shuttle Commander: Okay, so who's bright idea was it to let this PeeDee guy come along?

Shuttle Pilot: Well, he said he was gonna leave, then the President kept emailing him and emailing him, and finally she said she'd make him a Mod and he said that wasn't good enough, so she said she'd make him the first Mod In Space. And here we are.

Shadow_Ferret
10-24-2007, 07:25 PM
You people are all wusses. Wusses!

Yes, I freely admit I have my phobias. Going into space encompasses a lot of them.

The fear of oxygen breathing apparatus is a biggie. Its the reason I've never taken up scuba diving. There's just something unsettling about having to WORK to breathe that panics me. While in the Navy we took firefighting training and we put on the OBAs and went into this giant caldron of flaming oil and had to put it out. I was feeling like I couldn't breath and started to panic and I pulled my mask up to get a breathe of "fresh" air, nearly scorched my lungs and went, "Guess I am breathing fine with this." I put it back on but I still had to fight the panic the whole time until we got out.

rhymegirl
10-24-2007, 07:27 PM
If you were given the chance tomorrow to go into outer space on a shuttle for a joy ride, would you?

Only if you will go with me.

Roger J Carlson
10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
I've always thought I would, but I don't think I'd be able to handle free-fall.

PeeDee
10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
It's a reasonable enough fear. I talk a big game, but given how long it took me to go on a roller coaster (do NOT like free-fall; just hate the feeling) who knows what I would do in space, besides cry.

(Desperately wish I could scuba dive around here, too. Cough. Er. And that I had my scuba license.)

Maaaaaaac, I want to be the first Mod in Space plz kthxbai

Shadow_Ferret
10-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Um, wouldn't space be one long continuous never ending free fall?

MidnightMuse
Ooh, I'll take you scuba diving :D

You can also be the first Mod In SCUBA. The Jacque d'PeeDee.

A. Hamilton
The fear of oxygen breathing apparatus is a biggie.
wait-I'd have to use one of those??
oh man..I don't know, I'd like to but I really think I'd panic. Maybe with lots of practice first.

PeeDee
10-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Mm-hmm. Which is my point. For the chance to go in outer-space, could I handle endless free-fall? I say yes out of enthusiasm for space. Would I actually? I don't know.

wordmonkey
10-24-2007, 07:43 PM
In a heartbeat. Absolutely.

Diddo

JLCwrites
10-24-2007, 07:45 PM
But I am already a space cadet.

GeorgeK
10-24-2007, 07:48 PM
for a joy ride? No, I get motion sick.
To colonize a new planet? Yes, well when I was younger. Now my health is such I wouldn't pass a flight physical

III
10-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Only if you will go with me.

Only if you only wear a sandwich board.

PeeDee
10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Ooh, I'll take you scuba diving :D

Please take me scuba diving. I can go any time you're ready. pleeeeease?

Haggis
10-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Make it so, Number III.

RumpleTumbler
10-24-2007, 08:13 PM
I guess I should disclaimer my original response. I would happily go if provided with an adequate vehicle. I offer myself for alien abduction anytime.

Jaycinth
10-24-2007, 08:15 PM
I could never pass up the chance to do something like that, even with the risk factor. And if I died in the process at least I'd have died doing something cool. Better than going some pathetic way like choking on a balogna sandwich.

To pither pather with the space shuttle, though I'd never turn down the ride!

What I want is a berth on a generation ship headed out and away.

There is this book by Allen Steele called 'Coyote'. I would grab my family and hop on the ship in that book before my heart could beat twice.

Shadow_Ferret
10-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Oh, yeah. that space shuttle. No way. That thing is a death trap.

And I'd need cable. And beer. And my movies. and my books. and my albums.

Can you play vinyl in zero gravity?

scarletpeaches
10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
I vote no. Too many things could go wrong. It's not that I don't have a sense of adventure. Just that I prefer controlled risks...okay, you might say a controlled risk is no risk at all...I mean those where my life isn't in danger. You could say that about a lot of things we do each day - we get into a car, on a bus, on a plane...but space? That's...out there.

III
10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Can you play vinyl in zero gravity?

They'd have to create some futuristic non-vinyl-based music playing system. I know, I read too much Sci-Fi.

threedogpeople
10-24-2007, 08:44 PM
I'd do it...

I want to fly.

I want to look out a window and smash the earth between my index finger and thumb.

I want to take photos of the earth from space.

I want someone to take a photo of me with my hair flying all around, like a halo.

I want to drink Tang from an astronaut pack, in space.

I want to see if no gravity = no neck pain (if it does then I'm never coming back to earth).

I want to see a hurricane from space.

I want my hubby to go with me so we could try "you know" in space (talk about redefining the Mile High Club).

I want to experience the g-forces of take off so I could get my picture taken with my skin on my face all pulled back; I think it would be really funny.

Just thinking about it is cool.....

Judy

Shadow_Ferret
10-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Ew! Tang. I remember some astronaut once said Tang tasted like crap.

Hey! Anyone old enough to remember those sticks made of some kind of edible substance, like a chocolate-flavored hard paste? I forget what they were called, Space Food or something?
They'd have to create some futuristic non-vinyl-based music playing system. I know, I read too much Sci-Fi.

That's just weird, man. No way will they ever replace vinyl.

MidnightMuse
10-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey! Anyone old enough to remember those sticks made of some kind of edible substance, like a chocolate-flavored hard paste? I forget what they were called, Space Food or something?

I remember those things - gawd they tasted bad ! Kinda gritty, too.

Shadow_Ferret
10-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Bad is being complimentary, Muse.

Meerkat
10-24-2007, 09:13 PM
I would go if the odds were only fifty/fifty on returning. I would go even if it was in an alien cage and they had those "To Serve Man" cookbooks from the Twilight Zone. I would go in a heartb-- Yes dear, I'll be right there! ....where was I?

MidnightMuse
10-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, but would you go if they took your head off and attached it to a chihuahua body?

Roger J Carlson
10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Ew! Tang. I remember some astronaut once said Tang tasted like crap. Now they call it SunnyD and the kids all love it as long as it comes in a foil pouch.

Hey! Anyone old enough to remember those sticks made of some kind of edible substance, like a chocolate-flavored hard paste? I forget what they were called, Space Food or something?Space Food Sticks (http://www.victoryseeds.com/candystore/space_food_sticks.html). You can still get them. My mom used to carry them in her purse and the grandkids would beg her for them. I think she thought they were better for the kids than candy. Of course, my mom would also save the juice from canned fruit because she thought there were nutrients in there. She'd put it in my orange juice! Blech!

I have GOT to get some for my mom for Christmas!

III
10-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah, but would you go if they took your head off and attached it to a chihuahua body?

That's what happened to Haggis!

Shadow_Ferret
10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Space Food Sticks (http://www.victoryseeds.com/candystore/space_food_sticks.html). You can still get them. My mom used to carry them in her purse and the grandkids would beg her for them.

Ew. They BEGGED for them? Knowing how awful they are? *gags*

And SunnyD is completely different from Tang. SunnyD isn't half bad. Tang was all bad, and I think it might still be in the store. Hidden under a hollow. Under a hill.

rhymegirl
10-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Only if you only wear a sandwich board.

Okay. I have a whole closet full of sandwich boards.

RLB
10-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Space Food Sticks (http://www.victoryseeds.com/candystore/space_food_sticks.html).

I don't remember those, but I was a big fan of astronaut ice cream back in the day.

writerterri
10-24-2007, 09:35 PM
I have a hard enough time coming down to earth, but who's going to be there? I might go.

III
10-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I have a hard enough time coming down to earth, but who's going to be there? I might go.

Check poll results for passenger list, dork.

writerterri
10-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Private reservations. No visual. Dorkier than me.

MidnightMuse
10-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Now they call it SunnyD and the kids all love it as long as it comes in a foil pouch.

Space Food Sticks (http://www.victoryseeds.com/candystore/space_food_sticks.html).

GAH! That's them!

Oh the horror!!! I've just had a taste-bud memory.

Must. Wash. Mouth. Out.

Inky
10-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I would totally go.

Think Hans Solo would be waiting for me? Maybe he'll let me play with his light saber :e2brows:

Actually, the whole taking off from Earth, rocketing into space...the things one would see....
And if I had a choice of location, I would want to see the surface of Mars myself....to investigat the Face on Mars and the city they found....oh...you didn't realize this blonde was majorly into astronomy/science/archaeology?

Surprise, surprise!

Inky
10-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Check poll results for passenger list, dork.
:ROFL:

C.bronco
10-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Only if I could bring my son, but he'd want to drive. Yeah, it would be nice to see the old hometown again.

maestrowork
10-24-2007, 11:18 PM
I'd go immediately, provided I'm healthy enough and trained. But yes, no question about it.

It'd be so cool to poop in 0 G...

writerterri
10-24-2007, 11:20 PM

That was NOT funny!

Dork. :tongue

writerterri
10-24-2007, 11:21 PM
I'd go immediately, provided I'm healthy enough and trained. But yes, no question about it.

It'd be so cool to poop in 0 G...

Can you wait until after I eat, please? Gosh!

maestrowork
10-24-2007, 11:21 PM

First? I've already done scuba and skydiving. So space is next.

III
10-24-2007, 11:22 PM

But did you poop while doing them?

maestrowork
10-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Space Food Sticks (http://www.victoryseeds.com/candystore/space_food_sticks.html). You can still get them.

Do they have Kung Pao chicken and linguine with shrimp?

maestrowork
10-24-2007, 11:24 PM
But did you poop while doing them?

Wouldn't you want to know? Of course, at that height, everything turns into ice...

writerterri
10-24-2007, 11:30 PM

Why wait, Rayray, just go inside your head. :D

maestrowork
10-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Whut? Doh.

Serenity
10-25-2007, 02:27 AM
God yes. Given the chance I would be on the next shuttle up there. I wanted to be an Air Force pilot for a while, with an eye on qualifying for the flight program at NASA as a pilot, but then I found out about that pesky 20-20 vision thing.

Pat~
10-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Yes, you have to go into outer space. That's why your boss is giving you the day off. You're not Ferris Beuler. And "Outer Space" would be out of the stratosphere. Let's say it's a 2 hour trip. You get to see the Earth out the window and experience weightlesness.

Sure, if it's just for 2 hours. I think it'd be awesome. How far would we get in 2 hours? (I'd like to see the Milky Way.)

Here's a link if you want to travel via armchair:
http://www.powersof10.com/index.php?mod=watch_powersof10

benbradley
10-25-2007, 06:54 AM
Sure, if it's just for 2 hours. I think it'd be awesome. How far would we get in 2 hours? (I'd like to see the Milky Way.)
You can SEE the Milky Way, but it takes a little longer to GET to it. Actually, since it's by definition the galaxy we're in, we ARE a part of the Milky Way, so you're already there.

I'm way out in the country, somewhere between Atlanta and Chattanooga, and I can see the Milky Way from my back yard on most clear moonless nights.

san_remo_ave
10-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Nope. I don't like heights.

WarrenP
10-25-2007, 10:08 AM
I'd go, absolutely. In fact, I'm planning on it!

A friend did an edge of space flight on a MiG, and has highly recommended it. It is on my list within the next few years, and along with that, there are a few companies doing sub-orbital flights as well. That same friend has booked a sub-orbital flight with Space Adventures (http://www.spaceadventures.com/index.cfm), and it sure is tempting to book that one along side him... however, I'll plan for that in about 8-10 years.

Space travel (in our little neck of the woods) is coming, and I wish it would just get here faster! I'd love to see sunrise over the Earth from the Moon! (BTW, if you have an extra $100M around, you can book a lunar flight now, just a friendly fyi.)

This is the view from a sub-orbital flight:
http://www.spaceadventures.com/Uploads/Image/Galleries/SO/sized_earth01.jpg

Bmwhtly
10-25-2007, 11:48 AM
I want my hubby to go with me so we could try "you know" in space (talk about redefining the Mile High Club).

Sorry, tre-dog. I'm not really laughing at you. You just reminded me of the folks on QI discussing the problems of *ahem*ing in zero G.
Something about docking being a problem. And staying connected. And fluids of course.
Also Hubby may not look Quite as fullsome as usual.

But, with space tourism and whatnot ramping up, how long before we get zero-g porn?
"Hello, I've come to fix the turbo-thruster"

http://www.spaceadventures.com/Uploads/Image/Galleries/SO/sized_earth01.jpgCOOL Picture!

Inky
10-25-2007, 01:26 PM
TRANSLATION: Dressed in a Trojan and took the plunge. 'Space is next' = Seeks Dumb Blonde

rhymegirl
10-25-2007, 02:41 PM
I've already done scuba and skydiving. So space is next.

Let's send Ray into orbit.

KTC
10-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Let's send Ray into orbit.

Hunny, RayRay's been in orbit for years. We are merely his satellites.

Vincent
10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
As soon as I have 20 million dollars I'm giving the Russians a call.

Bmwhtly
10-25-2007, 03:37 PM
As soon as I have 20 million dollars I'm giving the Russians a call.
Many people dream of cheaper long-distance.
May I tell you a little about Sprint? With Sprint, you can call Russia for only $39.95 for the first minute and $24.99 for the next ten.

KTC
10-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Can you hear me now?

Inky
10-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Many people dream of cheaper long-distance.
May I tell you a little about Sprint? With Sprint, you can call Russia for only $39.95 for the first minute and $24.99 for the next ten.
:ROFL::ROFL::roll::roll::roll:

Inky
10-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Are we ignoring KTC?

Sweety: wiggle yer' toes..that's it...

Ah, see? Works like a charm. Everyone's paying attention to you again--never mind it's the size of your foot...that's a subject for the Erotica thread.... :e2tongue:

KTC
10-25-2007, 03:45 PM
You're a bad bad girl.

maestrowork
10-25-2007, 03:48 PM
You can SEE the Milky Way, but it takes a little longer to GET to it. Actually, since it's by definition the galaxy we're in, we ARE a part of the Milky Way, so you're already there.

Wait... isn't the Milky Way a candy bar? I'm confused (see, I'm in space already!)

KTC
10-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Wait... isn't the Milky Way a candy bar? I'm confused (see, I'm in space already!)

The Milky Way can be found directly beside Mars. Have no fear. The universe is a wonderful thing.

III
10-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Here's a link if you want to travel via armchair:
http://www.powersof10.com/index.php?mod=watch_powersof10

YES! This used to be at the Air and Space Museum when I was a kid and I loved it. It was my favorite part of the museum (followed closely by the marionettes in the hot air balloon.) We took our kids there this summer but of course the Powers of 10 was long gone. I can't wait to share this with them! THANKS PAT!

threedogpeople
10-25-2007, 05:40 PM

Sorry, tre-dog. I'm not really laughing at you. You just reminded me of the folks on QI discussing the problems of *ahem*ing in zero G.
Something about docking being a problem. And staying connected. And fluids of course.
Also Hubby may not look Quite as fullsome as usual.

Yea, yea, but think about how much FUN it would be working it all out....