Status
Not open for further replies.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Many authors, because of their race, gender, belief system or even age, have a hard time being accepted by the bigger NYC houses.

:Wha: Uh.... I think he lost me there.

I'm not quite sure in which way this article says that the publishing industry is changing, other than the POD stuff. But we've already heard it lots and lots of times. The problem with POD is stock. Unless the bookstore had a POD press right there to produce the desired book the moment the customer asks for it, I don't think I'd like going to a bookstore, ordering a book and then waiting for it to arrive. I wanna buy it right there and then. But then again, maybe htat's just me.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I want to comment on a few points...

So... a small press that offers any other service (editing, cover design, etc.), even if it is NOT to an author they themselves publish, cannot be on the approved list of publishers, even if they meet all the other requirements. What's up with that?

Why does a publisher offer editing, design services to authors they are not publishing? I don't understand. Are they publishers or are they editing services?

I can understand wanting to maintain arms-length business distance, and I can understand not recommending that authors coming to you need an editor, then requiring that they pay you to edit the book... but if someone who is publishing with another company wants to pay me to have an editor go over their book so it looks its best, what is the harm?

He is getting it wrong. If he wants to get paid to do the editing work, then he shouldn't be doing that as a publisher! Use a different business name: "John Smith's Editing Service" or some such. And don't push his authors to use "John Smith's Editing Service."

Does he understand the concept of "conflict of interest"? Seriously, does he want to be a publisher or an editing service? Pick one, but not both.

If I offer the service of creating book trailer videos, and that author's publisher does not offer that service, why should I be excluded from the list of approved publishers because I have marketed that service to someone who is not my author?

Again, it's conflict of interest, and if he wants to get into the "editing/book trailer" or whatever services, he should do it as a SEPARATE business and that would not have problem with the organization as a publisher. He's just whining here because he can't have his cake and eat it, too. And he seems like the kind of publisher I'd like to avoid.

The way I look at it, the org only wants to make sure that they don't include publishers that scam authors or sell them editing/supplementary services. Really, money should go to the author's pocket. A legit publisher would not charge for editing -- the editing is part of the publication process once they SIGN an author. They shouldn't say "we'll publish you if you get this edited, and we (or an editor we recommend) would do it for $1000). Even if they're only doing it for authors they are not publishing, again, it's conflict of interest and it's hard to tell who is legit and who isn't.

The same problem as publishing at least five titles each year--some small presses seek quality, not quantity, for whatever reason. Why exclude them?

Five a year isn't that much. Quality over quantity? IMHO, if you're publishing only one or two books a year and you've been in business for over 2 years, you're in trouble. How many books do you need to sell to make your business viable? 1000 copies? 2000? 5000? With fewer than five titles a year, it's not easy to achieve that goal even if you're super small.

Many authors, because of their race, gender, belief system or even age, have a hard time being accepted by the bigger NYC houses. The reason is, they're not potential blockbuster authors... many women, older authors, authors from particular ethnic groups, authors with particular beliefs, have a very, very hard time even getting an agent to look at their work, much less getting it past the slush pile of a big publisher. Why penalize those struggling and often quite talented authors by excluding them automatically?

That's a hyperbole. Authors of all races, backgrounds, cultures, and belief systems have been published by big or medium houses, or even small houses that meet those requirements. If they have a good book, they have a chance. To say "they can't get published because they're not potentially blockbuster authors" -- that's just BS.

I haven't read the list so I don't know if they are indeed discriminatory. But I doubt it. I hear this all the time: "first time authors, especially if they're racial minorities, can't get a break." That's just not true. Come to AW and you will see plenty of first-time authors, of all races, do get published.

* The list is transitory and unstable. The MWA is constantly in the process of updating the list of approved publishers. I check there regularly, and it amazes me how often I see that it has been updated.

It's because publishers come and go, especially smaller presses. The Writer's Guide, for example, is constantly updated for exactly the same reason. I mean, seriously.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't mind waiting either, but I want quality. If it's a small press with only two titles, I don't know if I can trust their quality.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yeah but you also want your books stocked in physical bookstores. That's what print runs are for.

True, but don't diss POD (as a printing method, not a business model) just yet. Small print runs can still get you into the stores, just not 20 copies at 1000 stores. What gets the books to the store is distribution as well as discounts/return policies, and not whether you have a big run or not. Small presses simply can't get that kind of distribution, or could they risk doing print runs larger than 500 or 1000 (beyond that, it's cheaper to go offset anyway). It's a business risk. So print-on-demand is changing the industry; even big houses do it.

So I really can't dispute the point that POD is a viable printing technology for certain publishers. That has no bearing on whether the books get into the stores or not.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
That's a hyperbole. Authors of all races, backgrounds, cultures, and belief systems have been published by big or medium houses, or even small houses that meet those requirements. If they have a good book, they have a chance. To say "they can't get published because they're not potentially blockbuster authors" -- that's just BS.

that myth right there tells me that this person's full of it - there's no way you can tell from a query if a person is gay, straight, black, white... rich or poor. Now somehow there's a huge conspiracy to only have WASPs published? I suppose the next revelation is going to be that the huge publishing houses demand a review of your bank statement before they accept your query...

yah, right... tell it to PublishAmerica. They love this sort of conspiracy silliness because it helps bring more victims to their front door.

:Shrug:

Note: yep, I see a PA author is right in there adding to the conspiracy factor as we speak. "Personal vendetta"... right...

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Changing

The article doesn't even make sense, and gets so much wrong it's hard to imagine the writer actually knows anything at all about publishing.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even make it past point 2 because of the presentation of the argument. (Position? Whine?)

POD has its place, and because it is POD, a small initial print run can quickly be increased if the demand is there, whereas the traditional running of a new edition takes more time.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
True, but don't diss POD (as a printing method, not a business model) just yet. Small print runs can still get you into the stores, just not 20 copies at 1000 stores. What gets the books to the store is distribution as well as discounts/return policies, and not whether you have a big run or not. Small presses simply can't get that kind of distribution, or could they risk doing print runs larger than 500 or 1000 (beyond that, it's cheaper to go offset anyway). It's a business risk. So print-on-demand is changing the industry; even big houses do it.

So I really can't dispute the point that POD is a viable printing technology for certain publishers. That has no bearing on whether the books get into the stores or not.

I knew there was a reason I should be banned from posting after only 3 hours of sleep... I don't make too much sense. I've slept some more now.

I read the article and, well, this guy struck me of one of those conspiracy doomsayers. You know, the industry is about to be put upside down, revolutionary new techniques, they're out to get us, you won't be able to get published if you're not a bestseller already, that kind of things.

Ray (maestrowork) has already given a pretty good commentary on that article, and I wholeheartedly agree. I wasn't my intention to put down POD, I was only trying to say that while POD has its place and it is a very good option to some, print runs also exist for a reason and have their own place within this business. I don't think POD is going to completely replace print runs. That's what my sleep-deprived mind was trying to get across.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, I didn't know I needed to send a photo if I submit to a bigger NYC house. If I look younger in the picture, should I include my age? Apparently I have to include my belief also. How about a geneology? Or - *gasp* - something to do with the actual writing! :tongue:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, I didn't know I needed to send a photo if I submit to a bigger NYC house. If I look younger in the picture, should I include my age? Apparently I have to include my belief also. How about a geneology? Or - *gasp* - something to do with the actual writing! :tongue:
Don't forget to include the mock-ups of how you want the front cover done and the poster for the movie that's inevitably going to be made.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Send the soundtrack to the movie that will be made from your book too.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
*sniff sniff*

That was an article full of bullshit. That's where the smell's coming from.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Someone tell me because I'm to icked-out to check: does his blog have ads on it?

If so, isn't this some kind of shameless way to make money off people whom he knows will dig through his site to research exactly all the ways he is - again - completely wrong?

Because that's icky.

(Disclaimer: I use Google's ads on my blog, but I've never seen a dime and it is the only way I can figure out how to track pagehits without using third-party software I don't trust.)

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The information on that person's blog post doesn't make much sense and most of it is incorrect. This isn't a great example of how the publishing world may or may not be changing, or how traditional presses are "digging in their heels."

Status
Not open for further replies.