A picture's worth a thousand words

WillowArcane

Child of the Fae
Registered
Reaction score
Let's get a picture thread started! I'm an extremely visual person, and a such I scour the web in search of that picture that will give me inspiration, or who looks just like I envision my character would. While doing this today, I came across some quite beautiful scenery imagery, and thought it would be a neat idea to see the myriad of ways people can describe the same image.

There are a few ways this can work: The image can be described as you personally see it, in the form of a poem or prose, or perhaps as a paragraph through the eyes of one of characters.

(If this works, should we keep it to one thread with multiple images and just reference by name what we're describing, or making it one image per thread?)

Image #1 Cascade Chandelier

cascadechandelier.jpg

(ps - how do I resize the images if they're too big?)

WillowArcane

Child of the Fae
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, perhaps that was not a good picture? Maybe this would be better...

Image #2 - Old buildings

oldchurch.jpg

Image #3 - Foggy Island

fogisland.jpg

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
This inspires me:
cute_dude-1.jpg

Yeah, I went there first. Shocking, innit?

Last edited:

WillowArcane

Child of the Fae
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest that if we are indeed going to have multiple pictures instead of a "one per thread" idea, it would be a good idea to name the images so if another describes it, we know what they're refering to :)

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Okay folks. This will be a lot of fun, testing our prowess with words, since pictures are considered by the old saw to be worth a thousand of them.

But lest this thread become a photo album, let's set up some conditions.

• Photos that are not the property of the poster (ie, taken by the poster), must be attributed to the original photographer, or at least the source from where it was snatched.
• No one may post a photo without first describing the a preceding photo. That is, after all, the purpose of the game here, as I understand it. (And even if I understand it incorrectly, that is now the purpose of this game. WillowArcane's suggestion that the photos be titled is a good one. Let's do that too.
• Please, use your photo-editing software (most of us have something available for doing this...if not, PM me and I'll give you a hand) and can resize the images. Let's keep image sizes to a maximum of 500 pixels in any dimension.
I like the idea of this game...let's have fun with it. :D

Last edited:

WillowArcane

Child of the Fae
Registered
Reaction score
I see a potential problem with the requirement of giving credit to the picture's creator. I don't take them myself, I grab them from various sources on the internet. Many times, even *these* sources do not tell or know where they originated from. So all I could reasonably say is "this pic came from Livejournal/google/4chan/etc" Is that alright? We are, afterall, using them for creative expressive purposes only, not to claim them as our own or make profit from them.

Just my 2 cents! Does this also mean we should start off with my first image of the chandelier and take it from there before the thread becomes swamped?

To reiterate my first post: There are a few ways this can work: The image can be described as you personally see it, in the form of a poem or prose, or perhaps as a paragraph through the eyes of one of your characters. Have fun!

Last edited:

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I see a potential problem with the requirement of giving credit to the picture's creator. I don't take them myself, I grab them from various sources on the internet. Many times, even *these* sources do not tell or know where they originated from. So all I could reasonably say is "this pic came from Livejournal/google/4chan/etc" Is that alright? We are, afterall, using them for creative expressive purposes only, not to claim them as our own or make profit from them.
Sure. Just as long as the source of the photograph is credited, I think we're all right.

Does this also mean we should start off with my first image of the chandelier and take it from there before the thread becomes swamped?
That's a fine idea. Let's start with that one, get a few paragraphs from participants, then move onto the other photos that are already here.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Image #3 - Foggy Island

fogisland.jpg

Each bicameral mind grapples with choice. From one side, tendons of emotion or perhaps fantasy grip the issue. From the other side comes expediency or perhaps even sloth. But only one choice is the more realistic. The incorrect choice, if chosen, soon demonstrates the shallowness of its draw to have been an illusion.

WillowArcane

Child of the Fae
Registered
Reaction score
To clarify - the intent of this game is to help learn how to better describe objects/scenes with more clarity, to pay attention to the minor details, and to make your writing stand out better to a reader who would not be able to see said image. When describing it in your own or your character's words/pov, try to do so literally (although obviously less so with poetry, if you like) If you were to ask the another person to tell you what they think you've just described, would they be able to answer correctly? :)

Last edited:

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
#3. There was, like, this set of trees--no wait, did I remember to say they were on an island? Anyhow, you can, like, totally see them in the water below. Not the trees being in the water, all wet. No, not like that exactly....more like a reflection or something. It was awesome.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Using Image #2

It was September and people were tugging their collars away from sticky necks, fanning themselves with restaurant menus, consuming cold drinks. But the sun never reached into the alley between the old church buildings flanking the square and it was cool there. Weeds of some kind had invaded the joints between the large sandstone pavers and because it was a pleasing effect, had been allowed to flourish.

The walls of the old church were made from the same stone, it seemed, turned up on edge. Above and visible only from the square the gables and turrets that crowned the church were clad in sheet copper shingles, washed brown and bright by the rains that, absent all summer, were soon to return. There was no evidence of verdigris, not even in the most remote crevices. Someone took good care of this place.

Standing at the entrance to the alley, Miller could see, beyond the shadows, the glimmer of sunlight on the wall beneath a roofed arch that led to some farther square, perhaps, or maybe the churchyard. Miller didn't care. He was on a mission. For beyond that arch, a bell tower soared into the sky, its conical roof clad in the same copper shingles surmounted by a small Celtic cross. It was not nearly as intricately crafted as the wrought iron cross that graced the main tower, lacking the Fleur-de-lis filigree finials. But it was made of solid gold.

Miller adjusted his rucksack, heavy with the tools of a burglar, and smiled. Tomorrow, the skyline would appear a bit emptier. But by the time anyone would notice he would be two counties away.

Last edited:

WillowArcane

Child of the Fae
Registered
Reaction score
Simplistic yet poignent, threedogpeople. I like it :)

Very nice description, Pthom! I wonder where it would go if you continued it :)

Last edited:

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Simplistic yet poignent, threedogpeople. I like it :)

Very nice description, Pthom! I wonder where it would go if you continued it :)

Thank you.

I'm overwhelmed and humbled by the excellent prose being contributed to this thread. Outstanding job, everyone.

Judy

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Using Image #3

Theo heard the singing and smelled the smoke long before the island appeared from out of the mists. Cursed the owner of the boat. Ripped off the sleeve of his shirt and stuffed it the loose oarlock to silence it. It would make less noise to just paddle with his hands and he considered doing just that, when the singing stopped.

Theo froze. Then, out of the gloom, the orange light of a lantern. He was on the right course. To the island. But too close to the encampment. He dipped a hand in the water, tried to turn the boat around to the left. But there. Another light. Soft, low voices, urgent, warning.

He hoped the mists would keep him hidden. By the sound of the voices, he was within gunshot range. Again, he dipped his hand into the water, slowly steering the boat away from the voices, from the light, from danger.

Then, when he felt he was going to make it, when the boat obeyed his stealthy paddling, the mists lifted. And in the dingy brown light, the island emerged. Two lights, high in the trees and below, shadowy forms moving among the trunks. Shouts. A bullet zipping into the water beside the boat, the crack of a small caliber pistol. Another. One into the wood of the boat.

Theo slid over the side, and with the boat as cover, swam away from the island.