Seattle Underground

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I've done some reading & will be visiting in a couple of weeks, but I'd love some info from a local's perspective, please.

Is it an attraction "everyone's been to" or considered only for tourists?
Do kids go there on field trips? If they don't now, have they ever?

I'd also love to hear any stories of mischief or romance, or anything to do with the Underground that wouldn't necessarily be known by someone who didn't live in Seattle.

Thanks a million! :)
~C

DraperJC

Registered
Reaction score
On the town square, at dawn, with sword or pistol.
I went there as a class field trip back in the late seventies or very early eighties. It's a bunch of storefronts that follow the course of the street, but below the sidewalks. I think that most of us up here know of the Underground but probably few have been there. It's one of those things that you always meant to do, like going to the Space Needle.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Draper! I was hoping it'd been a field trip destination back then, you've been a huge help! :)

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I lived in the Seattle area 31 years, and never visited the underground, and only visited the space needle twice...with tourists.

One of the old Nightstalker movies was filmed in the underground, and that showed me enough.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
They filmed an episode of TAPS there, a sci-fi ghost hunter reality show. Just watched it the other night. :)
I'm not a local to there, but thought I would chime in.

dreams in words

Registered
Reaction score
I am from the Vancouver WA area, We have spent some time there though. Yeah the underground is kinda cool some cool stories about it while taking the tour. Kinda pricey though. The space needle area. you gotta see the space needle when visiting seattle. NOT the best part of town though, and good luck in finding a place to park! The arts museum, the funky looking building to the side of the space needle. Is kinda cool to go into. They used to have the Hendrix muesum in it. But last I heard they were in the process of turning it into a high dollar art dealership. Yeah like we need another one of those around here. Visit pike market down at the pier. You Might find an egcentric thing or two, But also beware, things can get pricey. I know there were some restraunts near the pier area that kinda catered to the "outside the norm folks" Can't really remember what they were called thou. They were just up the street from the T-shirt warehouse just outside the market.

Seattle is a big town that really used to be egcentic. I personally think it has lost that egcenticity. I prefer Portland over Seattle as the "poster" of the PnW scene.

Have fun on your trip.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live here, always have, and I've only been there once - on a class field trip. I walk over it all the time, and sometimes give it a thought. We have sidewalk grates that are purple stained glass instead of metal, those are the ones going directly above some of the tunnels.

If you're interested in Seattle history, it's worth a tour. The tunnels are dark, narrow, dank, dirty - but the guide will explain why they're there, what the city used to look like, and you'll get a good tourists-eye-view. Locals only go down when they're showing out of town friends. And you can't just Go Down - you can only access it via tours.

Oh, and the guides will try one of those out-from-around-a-corner-BOO things, really lame.

Now me - when I have friends from out of state visit - I take them to Pike Place Market, we shop the waterfront, I show them downtown, maybe take them to the Space Needle (warning, it's a lot smaller than it seems) then hit EPM (experience music project) maybe the Science Center too. The Opera house if something's playing. Then we drive to Wallingford to sit and have tea and watch people walk by. Or, if we didn't bring a car, pop into one of a half trillion Starbucks and sip coffee and watch people walk by.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your responses! I really appreciate it.

dreams in words -- Hi neighbor! I've heard that Seattle has normed-up, but since I've never been there before I can't be too disappointed. And I get to come home to Portland, after all. :)

MidnightMuse -- Thanks for chiming in! For some reason the Underground popped up in my latest WIP. The way you've described them (it? whatever :)), it's perfect for the scene I'm thinking of! I've completely fabricated a funky little neighborhood within a long walk of the area -- so it's time to check it out for real. Also, I'm going to a concert at Benaroya Hall next weekend -- I've been looking forward to it for weeks & looking for things to do for the rest of the weekend, so that's probably how the area turned up in my WIP. It'll be cool, I'm taking the train & staying at the hostel too. Just me & my battered black backpack loose in Seattle -- should be fun. :)