Artist's Studios

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Any artists out there? What does an artist's studio smell like? I've got a pretty decent physical description, but it's lacking something.

Any help is appreciated.
The artist works in oils.
Thanks.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Linseed oil. It's a really strong, sweet smell - a little sickly at first, but you grow accustomed to it quick enough. It's likely the artist wouldn't smell it at all.

Also, they'd need some kind of thinner to clean the brushes, but you can get spirit free cleaners that don't smell too terrible.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Depends on the period, and how much the artist cares about smell.

The better smelling cleaners are much more expensive, in my experience.

So you'd probably smell turpentine, linseed oil, and under that possibly varnish. And dust. I've never known an artist who bothered dusting enough :D

hazellsephine

Registered
Reaction score
mine always smells of the drying oil paints, especially if the sun warms up the room during the day. The mineral spirits I use do have a distinct smell, but it doesn't permeate the room the way the paints do. And no, I don't dust.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Ah, I could never smell the oils over the turpentine. But that was in a group studio, and the spirit smells all bother me.

Which is why I don't use oils any more, though they are lovely.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
My studio smells like a mixture of things, really . . . the heat from a glue gun, drying glaze, a classroom (remember the smell when it was time for "art" and all the glue and tempora paint came out?) and Febreeze (when I've had enough of that, already). :)

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
The only one I've been in recently smelled of Turpentine, glue and (at the right time of day) lunch.
Despite the rather clinical, chemically smells, the big windows and warm colours made the room feel friendly.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Yay, an art queston! (That's what my degree is in...)

It depends on what kind of artist they are. Do they work in oils, acrylics, watercolor, etc. You could always go into an art supply store and crack open a jar of gesso, thinner, linseed oil, etc. (Try not to get arrested for huffing).

The studios at the school I went to smelled like...fresh paint. So did our dorm rooms.

hazellsephine

Registered
Reaction score
ah yes, the hot glue gun - a very distinctive smell. I miss mine. I used it to work with dried flowers, which also have a special smell, especially the eucalyptus. I always thought of that as a craft room smell vs the artist studio.

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I remember the dried flowers smell and eucalyptus from my mom's craft room! You're right, it's a very distinct smell and one I also miss (haven't worked on crafts in years). I use my glue gun to get stubborn things to stick to my altered books, altered objects and mixed media paintings . . . and stay put!! :)

Shades of Humanity

Registered
Reaction score
It smells like empty pockets and grumbling stomachs

okay..maybe I should lay off the turpentine.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Linseed oil and turpentine if you work in oils. Lomey if you're a clay-head. Nothing much, if you work watercolor.

I guess it depends on what you use.

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Linseed oil and turpentine if you work in oils. Lomey if you're a clay-head. Nothing much, if you work watercolor.

I guess it depends on what you use.
I work in oils, but not extensively, and my studio doesn't smell like chemicals that much for some reason. I work more with watercolors and arylics -- and there is a "school room" smell (I don't know how else to describe it) that overwhelms everything else. It could be that I'm working with light layers of oil, then adding other media. I'm not sure.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Hah... It occurs to me that artists themselves are probably not the people to answer such questions because they might not notice certain smells anymore.

I like, "school room" smell. Maybe that's the smell of water soluable media soaking into paper--or just the aroma of creativity.

:)

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
LOL Yes, this is very true - much like that old woman down the street who can't smell her perfume anymore . . . but the rest of us in town can, even with our doors closed. ;)