PDA

View Full Version : AW Flash Fiction Carnival... II!

soma
10-23-2007, 02:20 AM
Following the glory of Ben Solah's previous flash fiction carnival, I'm hosting the second edition. The intro post is here. (http://tinianow.blogspot.com/2007/10/its-carnival-time-again.html)

Just for review, the idea here is that everyone participating posts a piece of flash fiction to his or her blog, based on this edition's theme, and e-mails it to me (holydiver13@yahoo.com) within the next two weeks. Then, all the entries get posted to the carnival for everyone's viewing pleasure.

The carnival is completely open, with no specified genre. Have fun!

bsolah
10-23-2007, 03:17 AM
Thanks soma, really looking forward to this and I really love the theme as I'm feeling a bit mad myself - work sucks, as expected.

I'll plow something out and send it over to you this week.

MacAllister
10-23-2007, 03:20 AM
Let me know when you go live, and I'll put up another announcement. :)

TaliaDownUnder
10-23-2007, 03:30 AM
Sounds great! I'm in and looking forward to it.

bsolah
10-23-2007, 03:31 AM
Thanks Mac, I think it really helped it to get read.

soma
10-23-2007, 04:12 AM
Let me know when you go live, and I'll put up another announcement. :)
Will do, of course :)

Bayou Bill
10-23-2007, 04:28 AM
New rodeo, new ride.

I'm in.

Bayou Bill :)

rejectME
10-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Interesting topic. So should it be just a very short story encompassing Madness in some way? I realize I'm ignorant, but my teachers always said I should ask the question 'cause chances are, someone else is wondering the same thing... :)
~Jerry

bsolah
10-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Yep, glad you asked. Means you're interested.

A short short story (otherwise known as flash fiction) with the theme madness. And really, flash fiction has the flexibility of it not needing to be a whole story arc with beginning, middle, and end. In a sense, vignette's work really well with flash.

Good luck and look forward to what you come up with.

valeenc
10-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Sam, are we going to comment on people's entries as we did in the first one?

Also, is the definition of madness open to both insanity madness and anger madness? What about word count specifics for folks new to flashing?

Can (and will) you please post the specific dates here and in your blog? What date specifically is the due date for entries? How long from the final submission will it be to the links being posted in your blog?

I think that's all the questions I have. I have to figure out how to do it so I can host *gulp* the next carnival. :o

:e2cat: :banana:

valeenc
10-24-2007, 02:56 AM
:poke: Sam? soma? Bueller? :poke:

:D

:banana:

soma
10-24-2007, 03:24 AM
:poke: Sam? soma? Bueller? :poke:

:D

Yeah, sorry for the downtime. I only have internet access for about an hour between work and dinner.

To answer all questions:

- Comments are up to you, but they will be greatly encouraged. Cause it is nice.
- "Madness" could be defined as insanity, anger, irrationality, obsession, or any of the other myriad interpretations that exist for the word. It's versatile, and I want to see what people will do with it, so the definition shall remain nebulous.
- Word count should not significantly exceed 1,000; 1,039 would be okay, 1,124 probably wouldn't.
- All entries are due by November 5, and the carnival will be posted November 6.
- Ben answered rejectME's question, but I'd still add that the best way to get a sense for what's meant by the theme would be to check out the previous carnival. The theme was "beginnings," and the range of interpretations was pretty broad.
- I'm going to link my blog post to this thread so I don't have to double-post any new information that gets posted in either place.

Hope that covers everything.

valeenc
10-24-2007, 04:32 AM
Yup! And thanks muchly.

rejectME
10-24-2007, 04:40 AM
Hey thanks a bunch. I'm engulfed in madness all day long. Does that mean I can come up with something? Nope, but I will! :Shrug:

soma
10-25-2007, 02:55 AM
You're welcome muchly a bunch really. :e2bouncey

rejectME
10-25-2007, 05:42 AM
Is there a link to the first Carnival? Thanks! Jerry

bsolah
10-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Of course, it can be found on my blog here (http://www.benjaminsolah.com/blog/?p=437).

DonnaDuck
10-25-2007, 06:58 PM
I think you got me hooked! I have a pretty interesting idea for madness! Heehee...

soma
10-28-2007, 02:13 AM
I think you got me hooked! I have a pretty interesting idea for madness! Heehee...
Good deal! I'll be looking forward to it.

soma
10-30-2007, 01:51 AM
One week left!

Entries are still open, and things are looking promising.

bsolah
10-30-2007, 02:26 AM
Awesome, can't wait. I need to do mine today or tomorrow because NaNoWriMo starts on Thursday!

DonnaDuck
10-30-2007, 03:50 AM
I just have to type mine up and email it and I'm good to go!

bunnygirl
10-30-2007, 08:50 AM
I sent the link to my entry last night! It's available on my writing blog (http://ampfiction2.blogspot.com), if anyone wants an advance look.

valeenc
10-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Oh fine. Y'all just go right ahead and be all prompt. Me? I'll be lucky if I get mine in at the very last second.

Meanwhile, I have a story to finish and send off by midnight GMT for a contest.

Gad. Why do I do these things to myself?!!!

soma
11-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Quick note: I fished one entry out of my spam filter today, so I'm going to start sending responses when I get them. If you've sent an entry and don't get a response from me by tomorrow night, let me know.

MacAllister
11-01-2007, 03:09 AM
This is such a cool idea, you guys -- kudos to ALL of you.

Bayou Bill
11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Oh fine. Y'all just go right ahead and be all prompt. Me? I'll be lucky if I get mine in at the very last second.

Meanwhile, I have a story to finish and send off by midnight GMT for a contest.

Gad. Why do I do these things to myself?!!!
Well, you could be a twisted soul who's into stress and heavy pain. On the other hand, you might just be a typical writer who, as such, is part of a twisted group famous for being into stress and heavy pain.

Bayou Bill :cool:

valeenc
11-05-2007, 02:47 AM
*sends XOXOXO to Bill* ;)

Okay, I sent off the link to Sam. Finally.

Now you folks remember, I'm hosting the next Flash Carnival and I expect lots of participants.

:e2cat:

bunnygirl
11-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Sure, Virginia! Got a theme in mind yet?

valeenc
11-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Lord, woman! I figure I have at least until the end of this one before I have to think about it. Once Sam's posted all the links and all the commenting is concluded, I'll get around to it. Dang it!

:tongue

Actually, I do have a germ of a theme brewing, but I want to have a breather and I figure most folks need one too. I'll post about it in ten days to two weeks or so and aim for a beginning of December posting date if that's amenable to folks. Then whoever's next can start off the New Year, and so on.........................

DonnaDuck
11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Man, my brain is tingling already! I think I'm addicted to carnivals! Ironic considering clowns are the spawns of Satan.

soma
11-06-2007, 02:55 AM
Okay, we're down to the wire and I've got 5 entries, plus my own. Ones I've got so far are from:

bunnygirl
Bill Fullerton
Kate Boddie
Virginia Lee
Maria Leland

If you've submitted and do not see yourself on this list, please let me know.

If you haven't submitted... well, today is the deadline, but I'm not posting the carnival till tomorrow *wink wink* so if you get something done between now and then *nudge nudge* and you get it to my inbox before I actually post *grin*... who would know? *other cluing-in gesture*

soma
11-07-2007, 03:01 AM
Carnival II is live!

The post can be found right here: http://tinianow.blogspot.com/2007/11/absolute-write-flash-fiction-carnival.html

To everyone who contributed, thanks a lot, and to everyone who didn't have time, I totally understand, believe you me.

Let's get reading and get commenting.

Bayou Bill
11-07-2007, 07:19 PM
I've now done read 'em all and enjoyed every one. The other five authors are all talented and have vivid, some observers might even be tempted to say--warped, imaginations.

Bayou Bill :cool: