Are there ANY instances where PA would be a good option?

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I've read all the warnings and promise you that I will NOT go with PA for any book that I hope to distribute to the public. However, I'm wondering if there are any circumstances under which PA would be a good way to go. I'm thinking maybe a family history or something like that where one only intends to give the book to their family. It seems like, in that case, PA would be great - you would get two free copies and can buy the others at a discount. If you are only considering getting 10 or 15 copies anyway, wouldn't that be an OK plan? No - I don't have a famly history book, but I'm trying to figure out what circumstances PA would be a good choice for.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
In that case, just go through Lulu. You can even keep it private so you get your 15 copies and nobody else even has to know.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
However, I'm wondering if there are any circumstances under which PA would be a good way to go. I'm thinking maybe a family history or something like that where one only intends to give the book to their family. It seems like, in that case, PA would be great - you would get two free copies and can buy the others at a discount. If you are only considering getting 10 or 15 copies anyway, wouldn't that be an OK plan?

You'd be better off with lulu.com. They don't introduce typos, the books don't fall apart (from what I've heard), and you/family/friends aren't pressured into buying any copies.

Your local copy shop can do it cheaper than PA, too, printing it in color and spiral bound, if you want.

So, no, PA isn't even good enough to be a decent printer.

~Nancy

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
What if your worst enemy says he/she has a manuscript and asks you to suggest a publisher? Hmm, seems like a moral question to me: Are there things you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy? Is PA one of them?
If you've got the next sting manuscript, sure.
Does PA really care? Well, I do recall that they've sent cartooney-letters to some sting participants - if there were more stings, would it take all their effort chasing down the participants?

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Gosh! I guess you guys are pretty convinced eh??
and
It seems like, in that case, PA would be great - you would get two free copies and can buy the others at a discount.

It's not even so much a question of "convinced" as "having done the math." PA's author discount is based on their overpriced books, making it more expensive than going directly with Lulu.com. Lulu's book price calculator is here. Even counting the two free copies they give you, Lulu is cheaper after only a few copies. What's more, they don't add mistakes, they don't short you royalties, they don't take your publishing rights for 7 years, they don't spam your relatives, and they don't send you tone letters. Also, you have total creative control with Lulu. Want a new edition? Send it up. Don't like your cover? Change it.

PA offers nothing.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Better value at Lulu and others, and you aren't supporting a scam operation. :)

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
When someone orders your book directly from the publisher (as in lulu) you can be pretty darn sure it'll get printed and shipped in a timely manner.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I am amazed at how quickly you are all responding here! I've heard you mention before that going with Lulu was a better option, but I haven't even looked at anything - PA or Lulu, but I totally believe you. I guess PA might be an OK thing to wish upon my worst enemy... or maybe not.

Deleted member 42

No. There's no good reason.

Seriously, Lulu is a really really good idea, if you've already tried everything you can try in terms of conventional consumer publishing.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
One thing nancy sv pointed out that some works are best self-pubbed, like family histories. Lulu is perfect for that sort of thing - short run, small audience.

Otherwise, yeah. Why self-pub a novel?

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
If you want to hurt PA, yes, but only if you do it like this:

-Feed some public domain text into a computerized poetry generator.

-Produce 750 or so pages of this nonsense (bigger is better!).

-Waste as much of PA's time as possible in the pre-contract-signing phase. You are costing them time they could have spent pursuing a genuine victim. But, unlike the post-contract-signing phase, they won't just ignore you.

-Get your two free books from PA, and NEVER purchase a single copy.

-For your friends and family list, give them the names of your enemies, or perhaps politicians you vehemently disagree with, so your real friends and family won't be bothered.

Congratulations! You've just cost PA about $300.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I think before anyone reading this even THINKS of submitting any text to PA, a Magic Ingredient should be added: Steganography. For example, the first (or third, or last, whatever) letter of each word, sentence, and/or paragraph should spell out something pertinent such as "PublishAmerica Sucks." Make it a formula that's not easily discerned - no doubt they're reading these words.
-For your friends and family list, give them the names of your enemies, or perhaps politicians you vehemently disagree with, so your real friends and family won't be bothered.
How about the names of state attorney generals, heads of state business licensing boards and such...

This isn't "disrespecting my fellow writer" is it? Can't think of an actual writer who's being disrespected here...

No writers were harmed in the composition and posting of this message.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
In addition

-Feed some public domain text into a computerized poetry generator.

-Produce 750 or so pages of this nonsense (bigger is better!).

-Waste as much of PA's time as possible in the pre-contract-signing phase. You are costing them time they could have spent pursuing a genuine victim. But, unlike the post-contract-signing phase, they won't just ignore you.

-Get your two free books from PA, and NEVER purchase a single copy.

Congratulations! You've just cost PA about $300.

Make sure to ask for a $10 advance.

They will go for this. Also ask for them to put in writing the one time 50% discount. It will encourage them to go for the extra costs.

There are some more things you can do. Anyone choosing this option, PM me for the rest.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
When talking about Lulu.com, don't forget to check out Cafepress as well.

Or check with your local print shop (look in the Yellow Pages for one near you). They may be able to beat Lulu or CafePress's price if you know the exact number of copies you want.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I am seriously considering contacting PA with some kind of bogus manuscript - whaddyathink?? Should I go for it??

I wouldn't.

I guess the thing to ask yourself is: What's your point? What do you hope to gain? What do you stand to lose?