Not open for further replies.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
What are some good YA workshops? I'm totally new to it. I've only done a handful of short stories for YA but I want to do books. I'd rather take some workshops first before trying to break into that. Any good ones out there I can do via online?

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
I don't think most of us have done the workshop thing, to be honest. I haven't heard any rave reviews about any courses that can be taken online, though, I'm afraid.

clockwatcher

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I don't know. I think the best thing would be to read quite a few books (if you haven't already done that) and do some research online.

alainn_chaser

Kweh?
Registered
Reaction score
Holly Black has some good links on her website but I haven't used them myself.

Reading, reading and reading is the best idea I think. Then when you think you've read enough read five more books. Then come up with an idea and read books like that.

But for god sakes don't write just like everyone else. Read for inspiration not format. I've caught myself doing that once of twice with my WIP and had to bash my head against the wall to get myself out of it.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Thanks, everyone. :) Ideas are not what I lack, just the confidence. But maybe if I read more, that will change.

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
The more your WRITE, the more confidence you will have. Finishing your first ever novel (which will probably be rubbish; mine was) is such an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Writing workshops can probably help you with technical issues but most of what you need is already in your head.

Nahotep

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thetulgey.blogspot.com
Mediabistro.com has some (expensive) online classes, including one with a YA editor (Liesa Abrams) that I eyeballed but concluded I couldn't afford. And I've heard good things about Gotham Writers Workshop.

If you can, think about joining SCBWI, which does have great conferences (as Bethany pointed out.) I went to the LA conference this August and it was totally worthwhile - lots of editors there, a few agents, and fellow writers. If the SCBWI presence in your locale is big enough, they will have gatherings of writers, critique groups, etc. Cost is $75 a year. www.scbwi.org. If you're in an area with few SCBWI members, though, it might not be worthwhile for you.

And like everyone else said - the most important thing is to read read read and write write write!

Status
Not open for further replies.