Avoiding injury

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Aside from the injury sustained when banging your head on the keyboard in frustration, how can one avoid injury during something like NaNo? Serious question here! I know that sometimes when I go on writing binges (whether typing or writing longhand), I end up with things like back strain, wrist pain or
elbow pain and I have to take a few days off from writing so that it doesn't develop into a more serious problem. Obviously, during NaNo, I don't want to take a week off, but I can see any of these strains as being a very real consequence.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for avoiding injury? Exercises or postures or ways to schedule your writing time?

*awaiting the tangential responses about other injuries that can occur during NaNo....*

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Frequent breaks from writing about every 20 minutes. Stand, move, walk for a while. Look up from the screen frequently and focus at a distance.

Make certain the keyboard is at the proper height. Your arms should be at a ninety degree angle with your forearms parallel to the floor. Screen should be at a height so you don't need to tilt your head to read.

Think neutral positions. If you're stretching or putting stress on your neck or back, adjust your setup.

Good luck!

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
1 - make sure you have a good chair with back support
2 - make sure you sit properly in the chair with good back support. sit up straight, feet planted on the floor (no dangling!), elbows at right angles, *do not* rest your wrists on anything.
3 - if you can, make sure you have a good keyboard. light keypress is a must (you should not be banging on keys) and if you can get something semi ergonomic. you can live without the ergonomic but if you have "tough" keys you'll feel it sooner and harder.
4 - take breaks to stretch. maximum 1 hour between stretches. do a google search for them... there are tons.
5 - drink enough water. if you get dehydrated you will get a headache which will make everything else ache, too.

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
verticalsplit%5D.gif

I use one of these. I touch type very well. There are mirrors and the function keys/number keys are printed backwards, so you can look at them in the mirrors (who learns to touch type function keys?).

I also need to get another one of these:

Quill-R_md.jpg

Respectively, these are a vertical split keyboard, and a quill mouse.

They keep your hands in a natural position instead of twisting them. I get serious pain after typing on a normal keyboard, or the normal ergonomic keyboards. With this, apart from working my shoulder muscles/biceps to get used to it, I can type for hours straight.

Not that that is recommended, but you won't be in pain.

It all costs $$$ of course though.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alter your locations and writing methods. I don't work exclusively in one place and in one position. Laptop, desktop, notebook. And I move around alot.

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
Having never learned to type, I use the one-finger typing method... seriously, I type about one word per minute (well perhaps a bit faster) it gives me time to think about my words and prevents RSI.

From the RSI folks, take lots of breaks. Download a timer program and set it to prompt you every 5 minutes to stop and take a 5-second break...its incredibly frustrating because it seems like every time you just get going it stops you, but in the long run you will be happier.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Regular sleep & exercise, to make it easier to keep up with the other good habits.

For me, since I already have wrist problems, elastic gloves from HobbyLobby (they sell them for needlework, but good for typing too) for wrist/hand support.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
verticalsplit%5D.gif

I use one of these. I touch type very well. There are mirrors and the function keys/number keys are printed backwards, so you can look at them in the mirrors (who learns to touch type function keys?).

I also need to get another one of these:

Quill-R_md.jpg

Respectively, these are a vertical split keyboard, and a quill mouse.

They keep your hands in a natural position instead of twisting them. I get serious pain after typing on a normal keyboard, or the normal ergonomic keyboards. With this, apart from working my shoulder muscles/biceps to get used to it, I can type for hours straight.

Not that that is recommended, but you won't be in pain.

It all costs $$$ of course though.

In case anyone else was curious, I found the website for that keyboard...

http://www.safetype.com/

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I know that keyboard and mouse exists now.

I still lack the knowledge of how it's possible to use either.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Wow! I honestly was expecting to come back and find responses about injury due to sleep deprivation or caffeine withdrawal. Thank you for the genuinely helpful responses!

I have limited funds and even more limited space, so I have to work with what I have (laptop, sitting at the dining table to do my typing), but I will check posture, etc. Great suggestions about things that should be obvious (taking frequent breaks, staying hydrated, sitting straight w/ feet on the floor) that I can easily incorporate into my writing routines.

My sister (occupational therapist) is going to teach me some stretches and exercises as well. Gosh, I feel like I'm training for a marathon! :D

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Alright, I know that keyboard and mouse exists now.

I still lack the knowledge of how it's possible to use either.

For the keyboard: touch typing. The space bar is split over both sides, so you can still hit with either thumb. It's a normal qwerty, just split.

For the mouse: you just rest your hand in the cradle. The little moving pad thing (it's an infrared mouse) is on the bottom, so you just move as if it were a normal mouse... back and forth with your arm.

Both are extremely comfortable.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
One difficulty I've had when using my laptop computer is that if I put it in the correct position to see the screen comfortably, my hands are in the wrong position. My solution is to attach a separate keyboard (either wireless or USB interface). I think I got my keyboard with ergonomic keys for about $20.

larrypotter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markaiken.com
My advice for avoiding injury costs nothing: maintain your active lifestyle during November. Take walks, don't stop doing your workouts (if you're a worker-outer), don't give up recreational hockey (if you're a hockey player). Keep up your normal level of activity.

One of my most memorable Nano's was actually not in November; it was April. I had two goals: to write my first novel and to train for my first marathon. The novel came out great, and I shattered my goal in the marathon (which didn't happen till the end of May).

Exercise is great for the writing mind.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Great ideas! TheIt, I'm looking to see if I can find an external keyboard to borrow, to see how well that works for me. You're right, they aren't that expensive and that's an idea that I hadn't considered before.

That's a good point to make, larrypotter, as I think during writing binges like this, many of us have the tendency to become bleary-eyed recluses clutching our pots of coffee. And way to go on both the novel and marathon!!

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Agree on the exercise.

Also, eat small things throughout the day. Healthy things. Like apples with almond butter. (I'm going to be picking up a copy of the Feel Good diet soon....). Then you won't eat a monster lunch/dinner that stops your body while your stomach digests the load, and you'll keep supplied continuously during the day. Plus you'll likely lose weight, despite eating all the time.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finding I have to stop myself from spinning the chair around and putting my feet up. I know if I do that, my hands will hurt, but it feels so much more relaxed at the time. Grumble.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the other thing I use -- dishwater therapy. Handwash dishes in hot water. (Or just soak the hands in hot water, but having something to do makes it easier.) That helps a lot once my hands get sore.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I am at my computer a lot. I write for a newspaper, take minutes for town officals, and am secretary for the trustees. This is without my personal writing an of course NaNo.

Even with a good chair, and all the other precaustions my upper back get's tight. I use Thermal Heat it's sold in drugstores and you can wear it all day. They last from 8-14 hours. I also take aleve and put heat on my back each day for about 1/2 hour.