Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
[tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap]

ARRRRGH

I can fill in the time with my little Arcady/Zene 500w scenes. I can't progress in my WIP anymore because I've reached a point where I need to know what's going to happen in my NaNo.

I'm going crazy insane.

Help.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No advice, Ava, but I'm going through the same thing right now. Just made a post about it in another thread, as a matter of fact.

The waiting is really getting to me. I have to restrain myself from outlining, or character sketches, or blah blah blah, because I know I'll cheat and just start writing the book instead of "planning" it.

My sympathies, lol.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I filled up the end of October by making "dolls" of my characters on elouai.com. But I didn't have any other WIPs I wanted to work on at the time and this year I want to finish HEVN SNT (so write, stupid Sage!) before NaNo and I'm torn between two projects, so I'm not sure I'm ready for NaNo to start.

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
I want to write.

But I want to outline my NaNo, which doesn't count as writing to me.

So, I'm a bit conflicted. Right side of the brain is having a civil war.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
At the moment I feel quite naturally stable, in the sense that I have my novel outline and I've written a bit of background for the main character. I have also done a little bit of research here and there. I'm patient when it comes to writing, especially for this big one.

All the best to everyone :D

Do what makes you feel good :)

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I always get this unbelievably itch to write leading up to Nano. It's weird because I have it now; I have the first scene clearly in my head and scared it'll get bored and bugger off before the start.

And it's weird considering I've barely written anything since about June.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm about 95% done with my current WIP, so I'm pretty much focused on getting it done, kind of like being on the downward slope of a roller-coaster. Thoughts about the NaNo project keep creeping in, though. I'm still waffling about what I'm going to write.

Reaction score
I'm not looking forward to 1st November at all. I have the characters and a title and an ending. That's it. Aside from that, nothing. I don't even know if I'll do it. I'm having serious jitters.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feelin' it.

I've put my other projects on temporary hiatus while prepping for NaNo...but now that I'm mostly prepped, I'm ready to start, already.

It's become more than just a silly challenge. My husband is a wonderful writer, but he doesn't have the time to get any real writing in. He needs silence, prep time, ect, and it's near impossible to get that around here! But it's terrible...it's like a little part of him is being crushed under the weight of everything that keeps him away from his writing dreams...and everytime I complete something, he's so happy for me - but there's that little bit of pain in his eyes. So we're doing NaNo together. A lot of his ideas, and some of mine; a lot of my typing and some of his. We're thinking of our NaNo as a rough draft for something publishable. He's loving it.

So for me, NaNo has become intertwined with the happiness of my husband. I can't get started soon enough!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Oh, I'm definitely itching to write. I'm also freaking out because I don't know when I'll be able to find the time!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not looking forward to 1st November at all. I have the characters and a title and an ending. That's it. Aside from that, nothing. I don't even know if I'll do it. I'm having serious jitters.
Is is possible to write it backwards? Write the ending, write the scene that leads directly to the ending, write what happens just before that...

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
It is certainly possible to write it backwards, in any order or even to write "I don't know what to write" 278 times (which will get your wordcount up over the necessary limit) - remember, at the end you do not have to turn it in and have it graded. I wrote whole sections of my story last year out of sequence, as I remembered something that needed to be done earlier, I simply wrote in that section of the plot - after dec 1 I went back in and did some cutting and pasting. You also can use the time-honored note system, e.g. "note to self: don't forget to go back to chapter 2 and show that the hero is actually a demon in disguise who likes small kittens because they make him feel warm and cuddly"

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I want to write.

But I want to outline my NaNo, which doesn't count as writing to me.

So, I'm a bit conflicted. Right side of the brain is having a civil war.

This is me, too. I hate seeing the word counter stuck on 0. But I'm scared of being in the thick of NaNo and getting stuck on something I could've figured out beforehand. And so on and so on. :Shrug:

Nahotep

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thetulgey.blogspot.com
I'm so fricking eager to start!

But the question is - why doesn't that eagerness translate to work I COULD be doing on a different project? Ack! Is it always the project you can't do that is most attractive? Or am I just a nutball?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm ready. That is mainly due to the fact that I don't know what frig everybody is getting ready for. And what in God's green earth is Nano?
National Novel Writing Month. 50,000 words in 30 days. It's crazy fun. (There are many threads here about it)

I'm jealous of everyone who's excited. I was so excited last year at this time. I couldn't wait. I want to feel that way again.

larrypotter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markaiken.com
I agree everyone. I -- just -- can't -- wait. I have a general idea. Next step: a written outline. Also, I have an opening scene in mind, but I know I wouldn't want it to be my opening scene if I subjected it to a re-write later. I would use this scene, just not as an opener. Wait a minute! I just thought of something I could open with instead... *scurries off to find journal* Thanks for your help!

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
memememememememememememe..me

Last night I dreamed up an awesome scene for my book. You know, the kind that makes you tingle with excitement cause you know its going to be a great scene?

I CANNOT wait to get started....