JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well, it happened! We got a new car!!! 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid:
07civic_hybrid.jpg

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on how to tackle this. Everything worked out wonderfully, praise God! What we thought was going to be a pain in the butt was actually fun (and not as expensive as we imagined).

This is our first brand new car!!!

And yes, it is WAY cool.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Yay Jo!! I'm glad everything went well. Congrats!

Ahhhhh, Hybrids. *sigh* I want one.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Ahhhhh, Hybrids. *sigh* I want one.

Yes, you absolutely do! They're too cool NOT to have one. ;)

Seriously, the way it works is pretty neat. And there's little indicators on the dash so you can see what it's doing. It shows you how charged your battery is, when the battery is assisting the engine, and when the battery is charging itself (from your brakes). It also shows what gas mileage you're getting. What I really like is that the dash is split-level, so up on top (above the steering wheel) it tells you your speed digitally. So as you're driving, you can see the numbers counting up in your peripheral vision. Already I think it is really prompting me to keep my speed down.

The weird thing is how the engine shuts off whenever you come to a stop. At first it makes you panic a little like, "Oh no, my engine died!" I'm getting used to it though.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Jo, that is super exciting! Let me know if you like it, okay? I still have to choose Civic Hybrid or Camry Hybrid.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
So as you're driving, you can see the numbers counting up in your peripheral vision. Already I think it is really prompting me to keep my speed down.

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd like that.

Though the local cops would probably be happier. :)

Did you get one with a nav system too?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Did you get one with a nav system too?

Ah, unfortunately no. We really wanted one but we just couldn't get one in the color we wanted, in either 2007 or 2008. The dealer made a bunch of calls and he said the nearest one he could find was on the other side of the state and it would be at least a week (if not a lot longer) before he could get it for us. We were renting a car in the meantime, so we discussed it and decided just to forgo it in favor of having a car RIGHT NOW. Besides it's like a $1500 difference; just buying a portable nav system is only like $500 max. So we're going to do that instead.

Actually I don't feel the need for a nav system but apparently my husband finds it annoying that I call him to beg him to go on google maps all the time. :)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, my aunt has one and says it's distracting anyway. Why spend $1500 when you have Google and a 24/7 on-call help line in the form of your husband? :D

You must post pics. (I am assuming that's not your car in the first post, with it's pretty white background. ;))

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
The thing is now, with a new car, we're both SCARED TO DEATH of scratching it. With the 97, it was like, "Ran over the curb? Meh, whatever. Put a ding in the door? Do it again!"

Now we're totally paranoid.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
we're both SCARED TO DEATH of scratching it. With the 97, it was like, "Ran over the curb? Meh, whatever. Put a ding in the door? Do it again!"

Boy do I know what you mean. I can scratch up my Suburu all I want, but not the Mercury. Of course, I can't actually drive it yet, but still. . . .

Nice! Enjoy the hybrid. I got a gas guzzler, myself.

allen

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Buying your first brand new car is such a cool thing-congratulations!

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I almost went with the Civic Hybrid when car-shopping recently, but the Mini Cooper was a bit more fun to drive (and gas mileage at 34/40 wasn't too much off the shiny happy mark). Now I am just waiting on my custom Mini to make its way to our shores...

Hooray for new cars!

:)

-Michelle

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Enjoy!

Hope I'll get enough cash one day to buy myself a hummer.

*Look at all those mean, green eyes staring at me*

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Glad everything went well for you! It's a beauty.