Reaction score
no tv here. postus un linkus pleasius.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm sorry to see that happening. A'course, that part of the country burns down at least once a year. I lived in Nevada for years and every year, some big chunk of everything burnt out...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Forest fire is different than buildings and university burning though. It's so dry out there when wide fire breaks out in populated areas, it's really something.

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
this is sad. what's up with the 60-70mph winds? isn't that tropical storm weather?

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I grew up in Pacific Palisades, Ray. Lived there for years and remember when Pepperdine was built. There was loads of controversy about it being in a fire zone. Which was kinda dumb, since everything in that area, including where we lived was in a fire zone, too.

That's all my old stomping grounds, including the beach area.

It's sad to watch.

I grew up being evacuated on a regular basis. Part of our house got scorched a few times. I learned to pack very fast.

Friends of mine lost their homes numerous times and rebuilt on the same spots.

I could tell you about the mudslides that come after the fires...

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
this is sad. what's up with the 60-70mph winds? isn't that tropical storm weather?
No, those are Santa Ana winds. Typical for this time of year. They come off the dessert, a very dry wind, also known as devil winds. W/ no rain, it's a natural for fires, unfortunately.

When you mix it w/ the wind within a fire, it's disastrous. That's when you get what's called a firestorm. That's what moves a fire along.

My brother's a retired firefighter...he was w/ Santa Barbara Fire Dept. He's fire marshal at UCSB, now.

Also, my mom lives in San Diego, northern part, and she said the weather's been hot and dry there, too. And windy.

Santa Ana's blow across most of S. Cal.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

We always have Santa Ana's now, and it's always wild fire season now.

This is the second time in the last ten years that Pepperdine was hit this badly. They're evacuating the horse barns, even, which they don't usually have to do.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I did not know this. Thank you.

Fire is a natural state for some ecologies. If controlled burns aren't used in place of 'natural events' - when a natural event does occur, it is usually devastating.

As it was when FL and GA were on fire.

Deleted member 42

The Santa Ana's started at about 7 last night, and they were unusually strong; lots of limbs down, etc., but they were still going at dawn, and they spread fires so rapidly--the hills are covered with dry brush and mesquite--meant to burn on a regular basis, which wouldn' be so bad if there weren't so very many homes on the hills.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Forest fire is different than buildings and university burning though. It's so dry out there when wide fire breaks out in populated areas, it's really something.

I know, Ray.

I really hate to see this. I turned on CNN just for updates this morning.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
They're saying the Santa Ana's aren't supposed to die down until Tuesday.

Unique, controlled burns in these areas would be incredibly difficult due to canyons, etc. There are numerous fire breaks/roads all over the place, though. I hiked many of them w/ family pups and my own, when I moved out on my own.

Also, the type of brush that grows is chapparal, which is a very oily bush. One is = to roughly 1 barrel of oil. These bushes grow wild all over S. Cal., so when it's dry, they're fuel for wildfires, especially when areas haven't burned in years.

That's why when you see footage of the fires, you'll see explosions, now and then. It's those bushes igniting.

Santa Ana's are stronger in the am, too. Around dawn and lessen during the day.

Deleted member 42

The winds are kicking up again, and now they're blowing ash. It's so awful for the families--and the wildlife, too. Lots and lots of helicopters all moving up the coastline.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
The winds are kicking up again, and now they're blowing ash. It's so awful for the families--and the wildlife, too. Lots and lots of helicopters all moving up the coastline.
I remember, once, Lisa, helping my mom evacuate when my dad was out of town. She was all by herself, at the top of Marquez Knolls, in the Palisades.

The helicopters flying overhead, and the B-52's making water drops, while the fire was burning from Topanga. It's scary as hell.

I always worry about the wildlife, too.

The smell is something you never forget, either.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
We're not in Malibu, but fairly close north of it. Our power went out last night because of the crazy winds and this morning driving to church was just dangerous. Branches and all sorts of stuff hurtling through the air.

I've got a friend at Pepperdine, I think I'm gonna check on her. :)

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes.... the So. California fires. I had a couple of them surrounding our home during the San Diego fires. Everything is so dry out there, especially late summer and early fall. I also remember this happening to Pepperdine before. Many years ago.

talps

It's all happening...
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, right around 7PM lasnt night I was down by Venice Pier when all of a sudden - POOF - hot wind gusts swirling this way and that. Said a friend, "Fire weather is here early." It's a shame that Malibu's in such trouble today. I've also had a couple power flickers, and my beach winds are hald the intensity of those in the hills and canyons. Hopefully the worst is behind us... but it does feel like it's gonna swirl tonight, too.