Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Susan Hill, writer of all sorts of books and publisher of Long Barn Books, is running an online course in creative writing. It's here:

http://blog.susan-hill.com/blog/CREATIVEWRITINGCOURSE

She's also set up a discussion forum for followers of the course, which you'll find here:

http://www.susan-hill.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=8a38ab56c0bd4c2ba366fdcc1850d262

So far it's been fascinating. She's suggested that no one should write for more than 20 minutes at a time; and has insisted that people start their writing career by close reading, to discover how character works, for example. It's an interesting approach, and I'm really enjoying it.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
OMG is that the same Susan Hill who wrote I'm the King of the Castle?

ETA: It IS!

That book traumatized me as a kid. Like, it gave me real actual can't-get-back-to-sleep nightmares. I identified with the protagonist and was shattered by the end.

I didn't read Susan Cooper for about a year after reading that book because I couldn't read anything by a Susan.

Which is to say, *ahem*, powerful writing, that lady has. Almost twenty years later, I can remember that book so vividly that I'm not sure I can sleep now.

Last edited:

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for sharing this Old Hack, do either of you know what TTD means? I can't figure it out but then it's awful early and I just don't have my brain on yet, its still sleeping in the jar by the bed. LOL! :)

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
TTD - Things to do

She doesn't like the word "exercise", as she explains in earlier posts.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, I am reading her blog now, thanks for the help on the acronym Writer. :D

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I too am very interested. As always a day late to everything, she already has over a thousand signed up for the course. I probably won't be sending in the TTD's, I doubt there's any hope of getting personal feedback, but the instruction should be extremely valuable.

Last edited:

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
That's my thoughts exactly Writer. It looks really interesting. I am reading on the forum now. I am just glad it's a free Creative Writing course because I can't afford anything more then free. LOL! :)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a terrific opportunity--thanks, Old Hack!

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, thank you Old Hack. I did not mean to slight you by forgetting to thank for the heads-up and the links. Much appreciated!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome. I don't know why I didn't post it up sooner, sorry.

As for not getting personal feedback--in the past, Susan Hill has been very postive and helpful. That might change, though, as she has so many people signed up for the course, I suspect she'll be a bit snowed under--especially as she's just asked people to send her a sample of their work. Just make sure you use the right email address, as she's having trouble with the usual one. There's a note on her CW blog.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Cool. The people in the ghost fiction groups (such as Horrabin Hall) love Susan Hill. In a recent discussion, some named her "The Woman in Black" as the greatest ghost story every written.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Anne, Susan has just had another ghost story published, and by all accounts it's truly scary. I think you can read about it on her blog:

http://blog.susan-hill.com/blog/

If I remember rightly, she's got a limited edition of signed, numbered copies available right now at a very reasonable price considering how few there are of them. They might be sold out all ready, though.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Hey guys, if several of us want to follow along here, we could perhaps do the TTDs together and give one another feedback.

We could even send Ms Hill a link in case she's interested.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I guess it could even just happen in this thread? Or should we take it into SYW, and if so where?

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Schweta, I haven't read enough of her entries to know, but does it involve us sharing our own work with others? I thought she was against getting the opinions of other people on our writing? (Which I don't happen to agree with). If we are sharing our own writing with others, then yes, I definitely agree with SYW. If we aren't, then would the Writing Exercises, Prompts, and Games make more sense? Also, because this is the kind of person I am, I'm kind of inclined to have a separate thread for each exercise. I'm anal. Yep, I really am. :) It makes more sense to me. What do y'all think?

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Writing exercises might make sense.
I am not sure. I'd have to read her thread at something other than 3am :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There's all ready a forum for discussing Susan's course set up at that second link I posted, to which Susan contributes. You could always use that. If you wanted.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Yeah, Old Hack, I know. It's just that I'm not sure I want to sign up at yet another site, ya know?

ETA: Has anyone else noticed how inconsistent she is with numbering her TTDs?

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate that--I was hesitant to, for many reasons. But I think if you want Susan's direct responses about your work, you'd be better off sticking to her forum. Probably.

Standard disclaimer: I am not the lovely Mrs Hill, nor do I speak for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.