Funny or Serious

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
One of my biggest and boldest moments as a writer occurred when I was 21 and attended a professional writers workshop at the St. Marks Church in Greenwich Village (ok, the Lower East Side) run by the beat writer Seymour Krim and containing lots of published writers.
My short story was read to the assemblage and drew howls of laughter. I thought I'd become a made man on the spot that night.
Until the critiques. The battle raged between those who thought the story was too serious to be funny and those who thought it was too funny to be serious, with me on the sidelines like a judge at a tennis match.
In one way or another that problem has dogged my writing efforts ever since, through 30 years and thirteen published books.
I'm working on a new novel right now, 2nd chapter. It was a comedy, I thought. Then I decided to kill off someone's son. If you do that, my wife said, it's no longer a comedy. And if it remains a comedy after that, I'd probably stop reading. So I decided to save the son's life.
But how do I write a comedy and yet have someone get killed?

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
Can you make people laugh at death? Failing that have him die laughing.

I wouldn't worry about the rule it was made to be broken.

People have a tendency to distance themselves to keep from laughing, just like when being tickled. A tragady like a death can hook the emotions and make your comedy more effective. An unwanted side effect of this will be women who are a total mess because they are laughing and crying at the same time.

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
See Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, specifically the Watch series. They are set up like humorous mysteries, and so people do die. But no one would say that Discworld wasn't a comedy. That said, Discworld is British comedy, and the British have few problems with death in comedy.

So for an American take comic mystery murder, see _Murder off the Books_: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590805224/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

More bad things happen in comedy than tragedy.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Christopher Moore kills off people, too. So does Janet Evanovich. They both also have horrible things happen to both main characters and supporting characters. Yet the books still manage to be funny.

My best advice would be to stop questioning where your story wants to go or have you take it. You're the writer, you really DO know best.

After all, a book told from the point of view of a murdered girl shouldn't sell well, right? (The Lovely Bones) A book about a kid who discovers his family isn't what he'd suspected shouldn't be world-changing. (Harry Potter) A story about some odd creatures going off to save some weird world shouldn't matter. (Lord of the Rings and pretty much most epic fantasy, pick a favorite)

Walt Disney said that the way he did things was to ask a wide group of people if they did or didn't like an idea. If the idea got the majority saying "oh, no way, don't do THAT", then he did it. Because the herd is usually wrong. We have Disneyland because of that, btw -- everyone told Walt it would be a failure.

So, write the story that's in YOUR head, and don't ask someone else's permission to do so. If they want to write the story THEIR way, let them. But write it your way, for sure.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Tragi-comedy has a long tradition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragicomedy

It's very hard to pull off, but when it's done well it's just sublime. Something that can make you laugh while you're crying, and cry while you're laughing.

It sounds like you've already pulled it off once before. Go for it!
I'd love to read your original short story that caused such a stir.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Let's not forget Life Is Beautiful, which turned a tale of concentration camps and the Holocaust, into a romantic comedy.

A humorous story tends to so often be so close to being a tragedy. If Romeo and Juliet had had better luck, the ending of their play would have been a simple mixup that was resolved just in the nick of time. What fun!

It can be done. Trust your own instinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.