Midnight writers?

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
So who here actually starts writing at 12:01 on 11/01, vs. waiting for your usual wake-up time and writing time?

I'm inclined to wait and start in the morning...but the local Halloween kick-off/write-in is sounding awfully fun.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I still have to get through the second draft of my current MS before I start nano. I'm almost done, but the writing frenzy to get it finished so I can do a month long writing frenzy is sort of insane.
I'll probably be writing up until 11:59 PM on the current MS and starting the new one on Nov1 at 12:01. :)

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
That's going to be a tough one for me.

I usually prefer staying up late. I've been debating a different schedule for November, though. Getting up at 5 or so. Take care of the dogs, and write from 5:30-8am. Work til lunch, write for an hour, then work until dinner, and then whatever time I need in the evening to hit my quota.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a night owl anyway, so I'll probably start at 12:01 am just to get a jump on things. Otherwise it'll be noon before I can get going and I learned last year that there's no time to waste if you want to cross the finish line.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I didn't because I was watching the Ghost Hunters live show with friends and didn't want to destroy the mood with the glow of my laptop. This year will likely be the same.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on if I am working. I work graveyards doing security at a huge tax complex, but I only have six 20 minute patrols to do in an 8 hr shift. Leaving me with six hours of writing time. So yea, if I am working, I'll be writing at midnight;)

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a morning person, so I'll probably just set my alarm for an hour early and write before getting ready for work. At least, that's the theory. :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea. I did that last year.

I'm not sure.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
That's going to be a tough one for me.

I usually prefer staying up late. I've been debating a different schedule for November, though. Getting up at 5 or so. Take care of the dogs, and write from 5:30-8am. Work til lunch, write for an hour, then work until dinner, and then whatever time I need in the evening to hit my quota.

This is sort of what I'm struggling with...not the 5 a.m. part, though! I tend to stay up late, and I don't have to work 11/1, so I could technically be writing at midnight. But I do have to work most days in November, so I don't want to start with my sleep schedule off-kilter, so I really should go to bed as usual and make 11/1 a regular "work day", only with writing.

At least there are some morning people around, so I won't be totally behind if I do that!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely starting at the stroke of midnight. I normally don't go to bed until about 1AM, so this works perfectly. I'm going to have a house guest for the first couple of days of November, but I'll be able to catch up over the weekend.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I have two papers due in November for school. So I'm definitely going to need to uberschedule. School, work, nano. I'm going to attempt getting up at 530-600am and nano until 7-8am.

You only need 2000 words a day to reach 50,000 right?

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Not me. Gotta sleep when the kids sleep, or I'll have hell to pay. :)

Spiral Stairs

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going to do the midnight thing, even though I usually go to bed at 10:30. (Damn toddler.)

It's weird timing for me -- November 1 is my anniversary. We're going to have dinner that evening at a super-fancy restaurant. I am afraid that, after several glasses of wine, I'll be nodding off over my broiled sablefish marinated in sake-miso.

Unlike last year, when circumstances presented me with a fair bit of free time, I'm a little worried this year about finishing. So every minute counts.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
I can't. No way.

I get up for work at 5 am. Starting to write at midnight means going to work on 4 hours of sleep or less. Add to that our kickoff party is actually the evening of Nov 1, and I've helped put it together....yikes.

Will be going to party location to set up tables and chairs and food and etc., and taking laptop in case we're ready early. We're having a combination kick-off party and write-in, but that means I likely won't be able to get much else done until 7 pm or so that night.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I normally stay up until about 1am anyway, and I have taken the next day off work, so I probably will start at midnight :)

ScarlettLeopard

Registered
Reaction score
I work at night so I'm up and started writing. Right at 200 words and already piddling :( I really don't feel like writing tonight... but the point of me doing Nano is to learn to make myself write rather I feel like it or not... Last year I lasted two days *blush* so if I can just stick with it at least a week it will be progress right? to give myself extra incentive I'm making a rule that for every week left in the challenge (if I quit early) I have to submit two short stories somewhere. Ok, back to word.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I started at about five past midnight. I'm now trying to figure if it's cheating to go back to the start and begin again on a different project, since I really don't like what I have so far. :( (But have another idea in the wings that could work).