Outline or Pants it?

Outline or Pants it?

• Outline: Always prepared.

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Pants it: Map? But I never get lost. I know the way.

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • I'll let you know when I get there.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Orlando Bloom is my co-pilot. I fear nothing.

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This year I'm outlining and I do mean outlining. I've got a 41 page outline poised and ready to pounce.

Last year I pantsed it and it was rough.

How about you this year?

What about last year?

Is this your normal M.O. or a new order?

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
I always pants.

I'm like Jackson Pollock, but with words. It's not healthy, and I don't reccommend it, but it's the way I work.

Besides, even if I did outline, stuff would still change on me. Trust me on this. I know.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I tried pantsing it in 2005 & about 6 days in, I had the whole thing planned out. I had pretty much the whole thing planned (though not formally outlined) last year, and then was completely surprised by it about half way through the month by where it was suddenly going (still following the general plan, but with all these new plot twists).

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I voted pants, but I'm not sure I really fit there.

I don't write any kind of outline down, but I do write down small scenes and vignettes that I take from writing exercises (eg. in the Gotham Writer's Workshop book, and LeGuin's book on writing). These give me an idea of voice, but they provide markers and destinations for the plot. The last novel I wrote (in NaNo) I did know the three major climaxes and the end, but I had no idea how to get from point to point. So what am I? Other than confused.

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
From unfortunate experience #1: Going in without some kind of plan can result in losing your way, which means you need to stop and ask directions, which means you usually stop.

From unfortunate experience #2: The fiction highways are always under construction, so too rigid an outline will land you in the zone with the guys with SLOW signs, which means you usually stop.

From somewhat hopeful experience #3: Rough outline and detail in as you move forwards.

What I'm doing is

1. Major plot events. Roughly speaking, these are what you build chapters around. I put them on index cards so I can play with the ordering.

2. Main character arc points. Where I see the main character heading over the course of the novel. I keep these on sheets of paper and plan to mark them off as I write. It's more like a set of progress charts.

3. Scenes for the first three chapters (as roughly delineated in step 1). One index card per scene (though some scenes are long so they get two index cards taped together like a hinge). Intersperse them with my current stack of "chapter" index cards to make a very flexible timeline.

4. Any interesting scenes I can think of---they are important but they aren't as big as Plot Events, for instance a talk I see between a father and a daughter---I make up an index card for and put it into the index card stack *roughly* where I think it will go.

As I plan and, in November, write, I may find I need to move my planned (but unwritten) scenes up and down the stack. This is easy to do with index cards.

When it comes to writing in November, I plan to update my card stack chapter by chapter, and keep the detailed scene outline ahead only by two chapters. By which I mean, when I finish a chapter, I

a) place the index cards for that chapter aside
b) read the index cards for the new chapter, update and add if necessary
c) read the index cards for the chapter after the new chapter, update and add if necessary.
d) chant "don't look back don't look back" over and over
e) open up a new document in Scrivener for the new chapter

Repeat x about 20 times

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I plan. In detail. Extreme detail. 40 or 50 pages of a plot outline is normal for me. And this is normal for me, NaNoWriMo or not. I tried pantsing - the first novel I wrote - and nah, it doesn't work for me.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
My first novel was completely by the seat of my pants.

The last novel I wrote, I started with a vague outline and two scenes that I had to get to. Then I outlined one chapter ahead. I did a chapter a day; I'd start by editing/revising what I did last time, then I'd write the next chapter according to the outline I'd made the day before. Then I'd outline the chapter I was to begin the next day.

For our NaNo, my hubby and I are outlining (though only about 3 pages worth - not 40 or 50 - WOW, Quid!). We're also going to do character profiles. We're batting around ideas, bits of conversation, even.

So I guess this represents a transition in the way I write. The more I do it, the more I outline.

Funny, I would have thought it'd go the other way. *shrug*

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I don't usually outline, but I think I'm going to do at least a rough outline. I'm going to try a heist novel and I have to have all the details worked out We'll see how much of an outline I get done before I run out of time!!

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
For our NaNo, my hubby and I are outlining (though only about 3 pages worth - not 40 or 50 - WOW, Quid!).
I have a terrible memory. No, really, it is that terrible. It's goldfish terrible - 5 seconds or less until everything is gone. I cannot hold information in my head, so if I don't outline in that amount of detail, I will figure out the plot, then again, and again, and again, and again, and again. I'll make the same Eureka! connections 45 times. And quite frankly, it's all a waste of my time. :D And really, I'm not exaggerating. I wish I was. Ask Fahim. He'll confirm.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I've done an outline so far, but I have not thought about it majorly. I've also written a childhood background for the main character, and have also done a teeny bit of research. That's about it so far, am sure the rest will unveil, soon. :D

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I'm going to do some rudimentary research as I'm having Cuban pirates in my book. Hey it's post apocolyptic South Florida. Global warming raised ocean levels 250 feet and a huge solar flare took out all electronics via EMP. At least I hope a solar flare will do that.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
I've got two long outlines ready for NaNo. I'll pick one on Oct 31, about midnight and go to it.

One of the outlines has 78 major scenes in 12 chapters, plus a foreword and afterword, the other has 54 majors in 14 chapters.

I'm an ex-engineer, got to outline.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a terrible memory. No, really, it is that terrible. It's goldfish terrible - 5 seconds or less until everything is gone.

My memory is pretty terrible, too...

I constantly forget how old I am :D

No, really. People ask, and I have to think about it. Makes them think I'm lying.

I usually can't recount much of what happened yesterday, I can't describe what happened in the movie I watched last week, and you never *ever* want to try and get directions from me. I *will* get you lost...in your own home town...on the way to your house. :tongue

On the other hand, I have my husband's credit card number memorized, along with the security code, and expiration date. Now I can order whatever I want online! Muhahahahahahaha!

Similarly, I can't remember my social security number for the life of me, but can recite his. 'Cause, ya know, sometimes it comes in handy. ;)

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I'm the same way. I can whip out Mr. Moon's SS but can't for the life of me remember my own anniversary date. After twelve years, I still have to call my mother. sigh.

As for NaNo, I haven't decided on a plot yet. Too many good ideas, not enough time.

Outline? What is this...outline?

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Outlining this year. Guess if I want extensive ones I'd better get busy.

Outlined somewhat last year but didn't look at any of them very much.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I outline, but only a rough outline. I'll jot down a few phrases that remind me what I want in each chapter, and that about covers it. And things do change as I write, but when I feel panicked as November races to an end and my wordcount isn't all that high, I can always look at my trusty outline and think, "Okay, I wanted the moon to explode in chapter six," and then I write about the moon exploding. Whether or not it makes sense at that point. Hey, it can be cleaned up later!

In fact, I'm off to my local coffee shop with a notebook. Time to sit down and rough out my outline!

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an outliner. I tried being a pantser last year and I didn't like it, so this year I'm making plans. Ten more days to pull it all together...

Reaction score
I never outline. Can't be bothered. It's a waste of my time.

That said, I've signed up for NaNo and I've been having second thoughts about whether or not I should go through with it. Too much to deal with lately. Then again, it could be a welcome distraction from work and real life and other stuff.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I always start with an outline. It helps me to have a decen idea of where the story is going. I don't stick to it rigidly, but it helps me understand motivations, actions and consequences from a key point plotting standpoint. The rest I just happen and see how it fits in (which it generally does).