Muslim and other non-JudeoChristian rites of passage into adulthood

wordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That fleshy part near the base of the thumb
Website
www.erikageiss.com
I'm working on a project where in one of the chapters I discuss religious rites of passage: Bar/Bat Mitzvah & Confirmation, but I have no idea if there is a similar event for Muslims, where they're given a ceremonial rite of passage from childhood to adulthood in religious/spiritual life.

Anyone know? If so, is there a particular tradition for inviting guests to bear witness/attend and are parties given afterwards?

Thanks bunches!

This is kind of time sensitive, because I realized in reading and editing the chapter which disucusses it, that I completely failed to mention the nonJudeo-Christian world(s) and I'd love to be more inclusive in my text. (Smites self on head for not thinking of that sooner.)

TIA!

Last edited:

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My search hasn't turned up anything between circumcision and marriage, for the boys. And nothing mentioned for the girls, either. Although there must be someone around here who is either Muslim or knows one to ask such a question?

I wish we had more diversity in my own geographic area. Sorry I can't be of further help, other than bumping the thread for you.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
American Indians were pretty well known for rites of passage, and a lot of neo-pagans create their own "coming of age" rituals for both boys and girls. I recently read a book called "Circle Round" (Bantam - Starhawk, Diane Baker, and Anne Hill) that gives detailed coming of age rituals that are intended to appeal to those with an Earth/Goddess centered spirituality.

precisiontext

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Wordsmith. I am a Muslim. Islam does not have a specific ceremony or rite of passage that takes one from childhood to adulthood. The age of puberty (which varies from person to person), however, is considered the age at which one becomes accountable to God for religious duties such as praying the five daily prayers on time and fasting the month of Ramadan. It is also the age at which one becomes accountable for any sins committed. According to Muslim teachings, parents divide their treatment of children into three stages:

Birth to age 7: focus on play and the fun of childhood while still laying the foundations for later stages of education

Age 7-14: focus on teaching correct behavior, gradually preparing children for the responsibilities of life - it is during this period that most children begin praying, fasting, etc.

Age 14-21: treating our children like friends, advising them when needed, etc.

After the last stage, we are advised to leave them on their own. This does not mean abandonning them, living separately, or failing to advise them, but having respect for their decisions in life and letting them mature into adults.

Circumcision is required of Muslim boys/men but often takes place shortly after birth. Some cultures make this into a ceremony, but the party itself is not based in Islam. There is no party/ceremony needed or required.

When someone converts to Islam, he or she should pronounce the shahada (a testimony of faith). Again, some people make this into a formal ceremony, including witnesses, but this is not a requirement of Islam. Shahada can be a personal matter between the individual and God. After declaring the shahada, one does a full-body ablution called ghusl and begins life as a new Muslim. Ghusl is also required after menstruation and intimate relations.

The shahada is offered with every prayer, but most people born into Islam may say it again after reaching maturity and begin to practice faith out of personal conviction and belief rather than because of culture or family tradition.

Besides marriage, the one "ceremony" I can think of is called aqeeqah, which takes place after a baby is born. This involves giving meat to the poor in thanks to God for the birth of the newborn. Here is a little information on that:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503546908

There are also the rites of Hajj, which every Muslim should strive to fulfill once in a lifetime.

I also wanted to point out that Islam falls into the category of Abrahamic faith, along with Judaism and Christianity.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much, PrecisionText, for coming in and giving us good info and a link for more info. Greatly appreciated. And welcome to AW!

wordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That fleshy part near the base of the thumb
Website
www.erikageiss.com
Thanks so much everyone who posted here and sent me PMs for sharing your info with me. I really appreciate it. Thanks too precisiontext for adding the fyi about the term Abrahamic faiths and including Muslims as among them--I will be sure to remember that!