My mom's in the hospital!

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
As some of you know, I moved to the family farm in August to be nanny to my niece and take of my mom. In early September, I drove mom to the dentist, so referred her to an oral surgeon, who took a biopsy off her right cheek.

It turned out to be mouth cancer. We met with an oncologist, a reconstructive surgeon and had pre-op at the hospital. Monday, Oct. 15th, she was operated on at Baylor Regional Medical in Plano. The surgery took 5 hours most of which was to attach new blood vessels which had been grafted from her left arm. The surgery went well and the doctors said she came through like a champ.

Now, my mom is 76 and has become a little old lady. She's a fighter and loves pulling the doctors and nurses chains when she can. Today is the third full day in ICU and it seems like she's back sliding. I found out this morning when I walked into ICU, she had been asking for me since 4 AM and when I walked into the room, she was so drugged up, she slept while I was there. Mind you, the day before, she wasn't that drugged up and I had her nurse for the day replaced because she was too rough and jerking mom around whenever she came in to attend to her.

I'm just worried. The doctors had planned on moving her out of ICU today and she's still in there and had planned on her only being in the hospital a week, plus or minus a day, which turns out it's going to be longer. She, of course, can't eat and to date isn't allowed to drink water. Before surgery, the nurse weighed her in at 130. In July I know for a fact she weighed 165 and from the end of September to her surgery date could only eat soup.

I'm back online at night now after a long drive to and from the hospital and have Christie Ann to sleep for the night. If any of you have any suggestions or thoughts, please share them with me and say a little prayer for mom for she is in the Lord's hands. Thanks.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
praying and hoping for the best. you Mother is blessed to have you to comfort and support her-hang in there!

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
76 year old people take longer to heal. i've learned not to trust in any doctor's time-frame. my wife's grandmother just died of cancer a few weeks ago. she was supposed to have gone three months earlier. besides for about a week of being in bed, she was up and around every day.

and you know what? those old people are frickin' tough, tougher than we ever thought of being.

just keep being there is all you can really do, so keep doing that, i guess. she'll be all right in the end, it just sucks getting to that point because there are almost always unforseen bumps in the road. really, to me it doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary or something to be overly-worried about. of course you're going to worry, you'd be a crappy daughter if you didn't, lol.

as for you personally, this time next year when mom's yapping away, remember this time and appreciate how it put things into perspective. ya know, without that perspective, it's hard to put a true value on things, eh?

good luck and i hope she's doing better soon. :)

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
My good thoughts and warm wishes are yours and your mom's.

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
Big hugs and best wishes to you. Don't focus so much on what the doctors say. Say what you need to say to her in case... then focus completely on the moment and with a little luck those moments will continue for a long long time!

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I'm really sorry you're going through this. Being there for your mom is the best you can do right now. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Big huge hugs headed your way!

If you are concerened about the lack of tenderness from some of the nurses or antipathy of the doctors (I went through that last December when my mom fell and broke her hip, then had a heart attack in the ICU), contact the hospital ombudsman. If your mom is religious then contact her church to have someone come and sit with her when you can't be there. Some of the nurses can be minions from hell -- no gentleness...no kindness...only authoritarian efficiency. I thought I was going to be thrown out of the hospital because of the way I yelled at one at them.

Be strong sweetie. I'll be thinking healing and happy thoughts for your mum.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear. My mom's of similar age, and spent some time in the hospital recently. They look so small and vulnerable and it's so scary. All the best during this difficult time, and I hope you get your mom home soon.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello DeborahM,

You Said:
Now, my mom is 76 and has become a little old lady. She's a fighter and loves pulling the doctors and nurses chains when she can. Today is the third full day in ICU and it seems like she's back sliding. I found out this morning when I walked into ICU, she had been asking for me since 4 AM and when I walked into the room, she was so drugged up, she slept while I was there. Mind you, the day before, she wasn't that drugged up and I had her nurse for the day replaced because she was too rough and jerking mom around whenever she came in to attend to her.

I am sorry to learn of your mother's illness. I am also sorry to learn that the care experience has not been favorable. Like you, I would be concerned about the effects of medication on her status. If you have not done so already, you may want to find out what medications she is being given, including any prn medications (medication given on an as needed basis as opposed to a routine dosing schedule) and, find out what each one is being used for. In other words, what are each of those medications treating?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh sweetie - I'm sorry to hear your Mom's not home already! I'll keep her (and you) in my prayers. :Hug2:

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Praying for both you and your mom. :kiss:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Deborah, prayers are being sent for your mom's complete recovery. It's tough when our parents get older, and they do take longer to recuperate. Sounds like the surgeons did a marvelous job.

You and I must be neighbors; that hospital is only about 20 minutes away...let me know if you want company! :)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
My 72-year old mother had a heart attack last night and is now in intensive care, so my day, like yours, has been a bleak nightmare. I'm not the praying type and I've had too little sleep to compose any useful thoughts. Except that people, especially older ones, have strength and fortitude which outstrip our expectations.

Some events just have to be met with hope and endurance, but these are great qualities that often only emerge at times like this.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Priene, I'm the praying type, and I'll be happy to pray for your mom.