1st Assasination Attempt in Pakistan

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I haven't found an article link but CNN is reporting at least 30 dead after two explosions went off in an attempt to kill returning prime minister Bhutto.

ETA: she escaped unharmed.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
goddammit. and she was turning down additional security and riding in a topless vehicle.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
There have been two large explosions near to where former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was being welcomed home.

1600542.jpg

She was unhurt and is safe but a number of people have been reported injured close to her procession in Karachi.

Ms Bhutto was in a truck on her way to a rally near the tomb of Mohammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan, when the attacks happened.

The vehicle had just passed when the bombs went off, and there is speculation that at least one of the attacks was a car blast.

Ms Bhutto was evacuated from the truck and Sky News' Foreign Affairs Editor Tim Marshall said "she had gone to a house she knows well".

It is not known whether she will attend the planned rally.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1288892,00.html?f=rss

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Just read 126 dead and a couple of hundred injured. Whoever ran the risk management matrix over her return and gave her the 'all clear low risk' rating needs a good kick in pants. Unbelievable.

JJ

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21374344/

On page two you'll note:

Bhutto refused to use helicopter
Authorities had warned Bhutto that extremists sympathetic to the Taliban and al-Qaida could target her in Karachi and urged her in vain to use a helicopter to reduce the risk.

"I am not scared. I am thinking of my mission," she had told reporters on the plane from Dubai.

The motorcade was 'underway' for ten hours prior to the blast, slowed to a crawl by tens of thousands of jubilant Bhutto supporters. The yehawists had plenty of time to place a large bomb.

Bhutto needs to get with the reality on the ground in Pakistan. I'm hoping she will help to push the extreme elements out of Pakistan.

This despicable act of cowardice may also galvanize Muslims to denounce the fundamentalists.

Last edited:

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
This despicable act of cowardice may also galvanize Muslims to denounce the fundamentalists.
They don't NEED to denounce them - it's only a few lunatics, and it's definitely not a systemic outcome of Islamic teachings and culture taken to an extreme.

Where's that sarcasm tag again?

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
They don't NEED to denounce them - it's only a few lunatics, and it's definitely not a systemic outcome of Islamic teachings and culture taken to an extreme.

Where's that sarcasm tag again?

And, obviously, sitting down and talking with these few, and really trying to understand them will end this bloodshed quickly.

Then we can all sit in a circle and sing 'kumbaya' together.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
And, obviously, sitting down and talking with these few, and really trying to understand them will end this bloodshed quickly.

Then we can all sit in a circle and sing 'kumbaya' together.
When it comes time for the group hugs, don't be alarmed by what they are wearing under their robes. You just misunderstand their culture.

Reaction score
Thank god she wasn't killed.

She'll be a great ally in the war on terror since she has such a realistic view and clear understanding of Al Queda and jihadists.

Soon after touching down on Pakistani soil, Benazir had responded to the threat in her inimitable style. “Islam forbids attacks on women, and Muslims know that if they attack a woman they will burn in hell. Secondly, Islam forbids suicide bombing.”

“I am not scared.”

How about now?

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I don't care if she's scared or not, imo only, she needs to think of the people she claims to love so much and start listening to security warnings. It's fine for her t be brave and I admire her courage. But I question her judgement of critical situations after this. She just got 100's of her supporters killed, but hey, I'm glad she made it home ok.